A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

New Guy in Town

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 11:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy in Town

Hello I'm new to the C5 forum. I purchased my A6 about two years ago, and I've browsed the forums, but I finally made an account.

Since purchase I've done a number of repairs and maintenance services myself to this car, and it's served me absolutely well.

If anyone's interested, we can discuss the c5 platform, as I'm always trying to learn more.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default A list of mechanical services we've done...

So I've got a 2004 A6 2.7t with the 6 speed manual transmision (what a fun car to learn stick on lol). The previous owner put in an APR exhaust (catback I think) and installed larger wheels and tires. 245/45 R17 on BBS Rc rims. Big fat grippy tires.

Unfortunately the car didn't come with an owner's manual, so I've had to wing it a lot for much of my work. This post is also a way for me to be able to look back at how my car is, and where I stand with things.

Oil Changes
I first did my oil changes somewhat frequently with Rotella T6, which seems a bit hardy for these engines to me. I since switched to M1 Euro Formula, and I've not had many issues. Also topped it off just a few weeks ago.

Engine Work
When we first got the car, it had a bit of an oil leak. (Cam tensioner seal or something like that) We decided to take it in and get the normal work done, so I've got a new water pump, timing belt, serpentine belt tensioner (was making a horrible grinding), new gaskets. So that was all taken care of.

Some time around the end of summer 2015, I noticed my engine mounts were making a bad squeaking sound on acceleration. Turns out they went bad as well, so I replaced those and my spark plugs this summer 2016 (About a 9 on the pita scale).

Kept throwing codes indicative of MAF failure, so we replaced it twice. No dice. Come to find the hose on the bottom side of the intake hose before the y-pipe was disconnected (for the better part of a year. That was a fun find when I was cleaning the engine bay).

As an added measure, I've put a few bottles of Amsoil's PI in the fuel throughout the miles to help clean up the system and keep things running well.

Cleaning/Detailing
I'm a bit of a clean freak, so I do what I can to keep it clean.
I decided to give Meguiars' products ago, so I cleaned, waxed (Meg's Cleaner wax), wheel and tire shine, etc. using a number of their products as sort of an entry level detailing. Still learning.

This spring I'll be doing a much more in depth clean of the car that I'm still planning.

Future Plans
First I'd like to get that spring detailing done.
After that I'd like to replace the fuel filter, as I have no idea how old it is, and it's getting about time to replace it.

Considering upgrading the snub mount to sure up the drivetrain in case I get into any... spirited driving.

I need to check the diverter valves, as I don't know about their condition. Possibility of replacing/upgrading those as well.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello and Welcome to the Forum!

I am no moderator or a super know-how guy but, I get by with little I know and try to help out others here when I can.

In my opinion, there are 2 types of people here (FAST & FURIOUS):

1 - FAST) who want to squeeze the performance out of the car and they have access to lots of cool things such as hardware, tools, parts & more importantly, money & Time.

2 - FURIOUS - because another repair is due & not enough time) who want to squeeze the last breath out the car meaning, drive it until it costs more to keep it on life support. I fall into this category.

Lastly, all members regardless of type, are totally awesome and help others when asked properly.

Anyway, Welcome!
Old 01-20-2017, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Oh, one thing about the 2.7T, take care of Oil and let it cool after spirited runs. Get Owner's Manual, it talks about this.

-comes from personal experience with turbos shot after oil caked even without any "spirited runs".. (previous owner was a ....). Finally gave up, traded it in for a 4.2 and haven't looked back since.

Depending on mileage, look at required maintenance items.

Last edited by tester123; 01-20-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I must be a FURIOUS. I like a somewhat quick car, but don't really get on it much. I live at 8500 feet so the turbos do a lot to equalize what the elevation takes away. I like driving a car that is paid for and I mostly understand. Familiarity means a lot in driving older cars so I have three. That way I can either figure out how to fix or at least know what I am in for when one breaks. Plus, my friend runs an Audi Indy and specializes in the C5. Makes my life a lot easier.

I admit that when these get too old to be reliable I will likely go to some generic American car. He keeps telling me about all the high maintenance costs of newer Audis. Much worse than our vintage.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by clancy
I must be a FURIOUS. ....

I admit that when these get too old to be reliable I will likely go to some generic American car. He keeps telling me about all the high maintenance costs of newer Audis. Much worse than our vintage.
I understand what you mean. This car is paid off long time ago but in some ways, I am still paying (repairs). Since rest of the car is in really good shape, I am pushing it as long as I can. Steering rack probably needs new seals, pump squeals a little sometimes but I've done the major work already including differential flange and Timing belt kit, all fluids, front bearings couple tie rods, rebuilt alternator, MAF sensor and PCV or Breather valve, and every couple years or so a new N80 evap purge valve. Not to mention my heavy foot requires pads and rotors so frequently... all in all, I must say it served me well. And now close to 150k, it's asking for a new fuel pump. So, we'll see how long it will run... Everything works, it still pulls like a race horse and handles like a boss in snow and rain etc. which equals to just as good as any new car in my book. Plus, a car is a depreciating asset so, I tell myself as I drool at the new Q7 or S550...

Unless I hit the lottery, I'll never let a Stealer take advantage of me in my weak moments...

In reality, FURIOUS, it is the thrill of keep on pushing and the wonder in next key turn.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

That is low mileage in my book. You can easily put 250000+ on these before needing to consider giving in. Unless you ignore routine maintenance
Old 01-23-2017, 05:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Does anyone have any ideas on where I can find a new owner's manual? It's not crippling to not have one, but it's definitely not easy.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by ConfusedSkunk
Does anyone have any ideas on where I can find a new owner's manual? It's not crippling to not have one, but it's definitely not easy.
They come up from time to time on ebay.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It's not hidden in some weird nook somewhere is it? I feel like I would have found it by now, but I just wanted to ask.
After all I just recently found the rear cup holder. Even after all the cleaning I've done I never saw them.

Quick Reply: New Guy in Town