A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto High Beam sensitivity

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto High Beam sensitivity

I've got a 2015 A8L with a couple of weird little problems. My main concern is when the headlights are on auto and I'm on a dark road with no traffic something triggers my high beams to go off, and it takes a while for it to figure out there is no other car there and go back on. I'm not sure if it's a traffic sign or the reflectors in the road (northern ca) or what is triggering the high beams off, but there's got to be a sensitivity adjustment somewhere... Of course, the dealer can not see any problem. The really sad thing is my wife's Honda accord works flawlessly on the same roads, it really ticks me off...

The other issue is passenger seat gives my wife a little hug once in a while. Again this is intermittent and the dealer cannot find anything. Someone here had a TSB number for this, but it was for a 2013, and didn't apply to the 2015.

Thanks for any help.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by drdarell
I've got a 2015 A8L with a couple of weird little problems. My main concern is when the headlights are on auto and I'm on a dark road with no traffic something triggers my high beams to go off, and it takes a while for it to figure out there is no other car there and go back on. I'm not sure if it's a traffic sign or the reflectors in the road (northern ca) or what is triggering the high beams off, but there's got to be a sensitivity adjustment somewhere... Of course, the dealer can not see any problem. The really sad thing is my wife's Honda accord works flawlessly on the same roads, it really ticks me off...

The other issue is passenger seat gives my wife a little hug once in a while. Again this is intermittent and the dealer cannot find anything. Someone here had a TSB number for this, but it was for a 2013, and didn't apply to the 2015.

Thanks for any help.

Hmmm. I'm in NorCal too (SF Peninsula), with a 2015 S8 Mine works really well, both suburban and mountains/highway/rural (I80). Variously:

Make sure you know the nuances of auto light function. See blurb below for example about how it automatically turn off as speed drops. Can't tell from your post though if something like that is your scenario. From living on the outside of a curve on my very residential street, I support that. Also likewise really ticks me off when someone drives down a residential street with high beams on (often too fast) shining light into bedroom windows like ours, blinding pedestrians, etc. Why underneath the function is better engineered like that, and I have tested it to confirm that speed related function. Basically it means it is locked out on residential streets if speeds are kept legal. And meantime on open road it can switch like 10x as fast as I can react (if I remember to every time). And yes, it might get a little blinded by a very rare scenario with a retroreflective sign coming back right at you if I really think about it--like once (maybe?) over thousands of miles. But variously it should pop right back and often if things are that close to car and brightly reflecting, it goes back to whether using high beams is the best call. Definitely never had it triggered by a road reflector of any type in lots of settings and miles now. Does definitely pick up car lights very well though, both front and back.

Yes, seats will occasionally do something. Both of mine do, especially on start up after sitting a while. Passenger seat does it a little more from what folks say to me when sitting there.

No, not aware of adjustments for either. If possible for headlights, probably VCDS related but have never come across the info or something obvious in going through modules some over time.
Attached Images  

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 01-12-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Hmmm. I'm in NorCal too (SF Peninsula), with a 2015 S8 Mine works really well, both suburban and mountains/highway/rural (I80). Variously:

Make sure you know the nuances of auto light function. See blurb below for example about how it automatically turn off as speed drops. Can tel from your post though if something like that is your scenario. From living on the outside of a curve on my very residential street, I support that. Also likewise really ticks me off when someone drives down a residential street with high beams on (often too fast) shining light into bedroom windows like ours, blinding pedestrians, etc. Why underneath the function is better engineered like that, and I have tested it to confirm that speed related function. Basically it means it is locked out on residential streets if speeds are kept legal. And meantime on open road it can switch like 10x as fast as I can react (if I remember to every time). And yes, it might get a little blinded by a very rare scenario with a retroreflective sign coming back right at you if I really think about it--like once (maybe?) over thousands of miles. But variously it should pop right back and often if things are that close to car and brightly reflecting, it goes back to whether using high beams is the best call. Definitely never had it triggered by a road reflector of any type in lots of settings and miles now. Does definitely pick up car lights very well though, both front and back.

Yes, seats will occasionally do something. Both of mine do, especially on start up after sitting a while. Passenger seat does it a little more from what folks say to me when sitting there.

No, not aware of adjustments for either. If possible for headlights, probably VCDS related but have never come across the info or something obvious in going through modules some over time.
Thanks for the info! I'm in the East Bay and I'm doing over 25, so it's good to hear that yours is working fine, gives me hope. I guess I'm going to scout out a place near the dealer where this happens and maybe have my wife video it while it happens. It's a pretty regular occurrence in my car so I should be able to figure out where it happens and capture it. Like your car, my wife's Honda is really a pleasure to drive with this feature, mine seems like they tried to copy it and failed. Thanks for the info on the seats too!
Old 01-12-2017, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks for any help.
It is a sensitivity issue I believe and it is triggered by reflective surfaces particularly street/traffic signs. And it seems the darker the road, the greater the sensitivity. As for the Honda vs. S8, the Honda may be more user friendly but could be stricter regs have been enacted as the legal beagles never stop
Old 01-12-2017, 09:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking the same thing on both accounts... but to add to the auto high beam, I wish it would default to be in AUTO mode when I get in the car....

Last edited by MCMLXIX; 01-12-2017 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for any help.
Regarding the seats, I could here noises(not in my head) so I felt the passenger seat and it was adjusting itself, kind of regularly, I turned off the seat memory on the door and it has stopped. Don't know why but it was constantly making adjustments to the seat, I could see them happening.