A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

audi versus BMW

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default audi versus BMW

Got to tell you I go back to Audi having a 2004 A8l followed by a 2012 A6 and now a 2015 S8. I will always go with audi but this week got my wife a new BMW X5. I just took it and her on a road trip and I have to say it is as solid as a rock, my s8 only has 20K miles and I love it but these BMW's seem built from a anvil.

I think MMI has it all over the system BMW has and I am now researching how to do the vag com thing and it seems foreign to me. Have to disable seat belt and a few other things including the splash screen audi used to put on when you started the car.

Its always good to taste the other german offerings, my son's 911 is sitting in the garage under cover and that is as solid as well.

Life is good, not bragging just neat seeing what the germans do versus American cars. we also have a fusion hybrid and escape and just sold my wifes escalade so we work both sides of the pond
Old 01-15-2017, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Totally agree with your thoughts. Have owned 5 BMW's including a presently owned '98 M3 convertible. I've never driven a BMW SUV so I can't speak to that. I have also owned a few Mercedes sedans and SUV's. The two Audi's I've owned, D3 & D4, make the choice beyond debate if I could only own one car. When I saw the first D3 in a parking lot I was in love and the love affair truly blossomed when I bought one. I have owned 3 Suburbans and when it comes to SUV's, I will always stay on this side of the pond.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in the same boat with SUVs. I tend to stick with domestics...my wife likes the Japanese and Korean SUVs so she's got a Kia Sorento. For cruising land yachts, the Germans have that sewn up as far as I'm concerned. For sports cars, I've always been a pony car person except for a brief affair with a 928S4.

Best,
Old 01-15-2017, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Ritz
I'm in the same boat with SUVs. I tend to stick with domestics...my wife likes the Japanese and Korean SUVs so she's got a Kia Sorento. For cruising land yachts, the Germans have that sewn up as far as I'm concerned. For sports cars, I've always been a pony car person except for a brief affair with a 928S4.

Best,
My current LTZ is an amazingly refined riding vehicle for its size. Has the tow package (10,000 lbs!) w/ air suspension/auto leveling, factory trailer brakes, etc. etc. and pulls my 31 foot camper like a champ.

I've never owned a Porsche but love the looks. I'm curious - Why was your affair brief with the 928?
Old 01-15-2017, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Swissman564
My current LTZ is an amazingly refined riding vehicle for its size. Has the tow package (10,000 lbs!) w/ air suspension/auto leveling, factory trailer brakes, etc. etc. and pulls my 31 foot camper like a champ.

I've never owned a Porsche but love the looks. I'm curious - Why was your affair brief with the 928?
I was in my early thirties, making mid 6 figures income, and had a sudden and unexpected health issue that made it impossible for me to work for the next 18 months. Given the uncertainty, I quickly punted the car and reigned in all non-essential expenses until things were resolved and I was working again. Loved the car though. I'd wanted one ever since I saw Risky Business as a teenager. They seem to be holding their value pretty well these days.

Best,
Old 01-15-2017, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Gotcha. It had nothing to do with the car itself. Good to know. Thanks and hope the health issues are now all in the rear view.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Gotcha. It had nothing to do with the car itself. Good to know. Thanks and hope the health issues are now all in the rear view.
Yep, the car was awesome. Had a nasty infection that nobody was ever able to figure out where it came from and it destroyed one of my heart valves. Two open heart surgeries and a prosthetic valve later, and I'm back in business. Was a pretty crappy 12-18 month period though. I ran a half marathon a few months ago so I guess it worked out ok in the end.

Cheers!
Old 01-15-2017, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

For a pure sports car experience, Porsche is the only option. You can get "sporty" in a pony or Camaro/Challenger et al and of course the 'vette is a true "sports car" but too big, too many gimmicks and you think aluminum is a pain to repair! Plus, the fiberglass smell is ever present. Actually more performance and not enough sport. Hold out for the Porsche.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I forgot I put money down on a brand new X50i build a few weeks back but never filled out the paperwork. Got a call from the BMW dealer the other day to pick up the car! I was like what car? LOL

Great to hear the car is good, maybe I'll pick it up in a few weeks after the ML63s lease gets turned in next month.

Last edited by DirtyVegasTT; 01-15-2017 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BigBoy11
For a pure sports car experience, Porsche is the only option. You can get "sporty" in a pony or Camaro/Challenger et al and of course the 'vette is a true "sports car" but too big, too many gimmicks and you think aluminum is a pain to repair! Plus, the fiberglass smell is ever present. Actually more performance and not enough sport. Hold out for the Porsche.
I've had two M3's because up to now I have always needed an inhabitable back seat. The M3 is an amazing little car that doesn't really hit its stride until the speedo clicks up to 90-95 mph; it's actually that good. My current '98 is in mint stock condition with less than 90,000 miles. Can hardly stand the thought of parting with it. I'm an empty-nester now and plan to start searching for a Porsche to compliment the Audi. I would then put the M3 in storage for my grandkids one day.

Quick Reply: audi versus BMW