Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Contacted Audi Care for continuing issue with sterring wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 12:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Contacted Audi Care for continuing issue with steering wheel

Ever since picked up the Q7 last March the steering wheel adjustment has be a problem. Over time, the steering wheel's vertical travel becomes more limited, affecting the Exit feature and ultimately my ability to set a comfortable driving position. My dealer (Tysons) is able to reset the feature buy over time it begins to self limit and fail. I was told a future SW update would likely fit the issue, so I drove the vehicle without using the exit feature for over 6 months until a SW patch was applied this fall .... but to no avail. So, I repied to Audi Care via a service review and describe the issue and stated I'm not a happy customer.

I received calls from both Audi Care and my dealer's service manager, and both say they are dedicated to fixing this issue. Stay tuned.

Last edited by jmike52; 01-18-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmike52
Ever since picked up the Q7 last March the steering wheel adjustment has be a problem. Over time, the steering wheel's vertical travel becomes more limited, affecting the Exit feature and ultimately my ability to set a comfortable driving position. My dealer (Tysons) is able to reset the feature buy over time it begins to self limit and fail. I was told a future SW update would likely fit the issue, so I drove the vehicle without using the exit feature for over 6 months until a SW patch was applied this fall .... but to no avail. So, I repied to Audi Care via a service review and describe the issue and stated I'm not a happy customer.

I received calls from both Audi Care and my dealer's service manager, and both say they are dedicated to fixing this issue. Stay tuned.
Great to here that Both Audi and your dealer were so responsive (so far).
Old 01-15-2017, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same issue. At first I thought I was imagining it but I tested the travel range on a loaner and it was much wider.

I used my ODB11 device to adjust readjust the range but just like you, over time it goes back to barely any movement.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Update: Audi Tysons Corner just contacted me. Audi USA is aware of this issue and the fix is to replace the entire steering wheel column! The various parts will need to be special ordered and I will get my Q7 tomorrow and bring it back to the dealer when the parts arrive. Glad that Audi has a solution for the problem but concerned what else might be wrong that may show up in the future.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Update: Audi Tysons Corner just contacted me. Audi USA is aware of this issue and the fix is to replace the entire steering wheel column! The various parts will need to be special ordered and I will get my Q7 tomorrow and bring it back to the dealer when the parts arrive. Glad that Audi has a solution for the problem but concerned what else might be wrong that may show up in the future.
I noticed a few times that the vertical movement has become limited. When I used OBDeleven the first time, the scan showed a steering wheel column vertical movement fault. However I have not seen the fault since then.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, I am having difficulty understanding what the problem is.. What is the exit feature?

I'm having a little bit of problem with steering wheel pulling to the one particular side of the road and was thinking that it was maybe the alignment?

But I'm curious to learn and find out a little bit more about the problems you were having?

Sorry, if your first post has already explained but I'm new to the forum and want to know a little bit more..
Old 12-26-2017, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Reviving an old thread -
Did anyone who had the problem of the steering column adjustment not traveling over its full range of motion succeed in getting it fixed? Mine has become so limited that it won't even go high enough to let me see the top of the VC.
It scares me that the observation was made here that the fix involved replacing the whole steering column, but if that's what it takes........
I'd be much happier if was a software fix (I did try to find a setting in OBDEleven, but no luck).
Old 12-26-2017, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Cadx6
Reviving an old thread -
Did anyone who had the problem of the steering column adjustment not traveling over its full range of motion succeed in getting it fixed? Mine has become so limited that it won't even go high enough to let me see the top of the VC.
It scares me that the observation was made here that the fix involved replacing the whole steering column, but if that's what it takes........
I'd be much happier if was a software fix (I did try to find a setting in OBDEleven, but no luck).
I’ve just noticed this on my car. I had to lower my seat by a cm so that I can see the top of the gauges. The highest the wheel can be raised is to a point where there’s about 3-4 cm of clearance between the top of the steering column and base of the gauge cluster. I’m not going to bother playing around with the coding as it appears that’s not a permanent fix so I’ll bring it up with the dealer the next time it’s serviced. It’s a May 2016 build.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by NABS4
I’ve just noticed this on my car. I had to lower my seat by a cm so that I can see the top of the gauges. The highest the wheel can be raised is to a point where there’s about 3-4 cm of clearance between the top of the steering column and base of the gauge cluster. I’m not going to bother playing around with the coding as it appears that’s not a permanent fix so I’ll bring it up with the dealer the next time it’s serviced. It’s a May 2016 build.
Mine was built the same time. I checked a new (2017) Q7 in the showroom & it had a much greater travel than mine. My Service guy said he would take it in & get it fixed one way or the other. If it’s software, fine but I’m not sure I want my car torn apart replacing the steering column😱.