A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Added LEDs to A8 next to radar pods

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Added LEDs to A8 next to radar pods

Thank you to whomever posted the installation of a remote radar detector and pictures of the pass through in the firewall. I installed LED strips in between the three slats at the base of the grill and centered the lights in the middle slat, aligned with the oval radomes. The color temperature is a little cooler than the LED headlights I have but it's a pretty good match and looks OEM to my eyes. I'll try to post more info for those that may be interested in a similar mod, or just trying to get to a switched wire in the engine bay.

I never would have been successful without the original post, so many thanks to the guys on the forum.

DD
Old 01-14-2017, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Btw, that's not me in the picture. The dealer had just delivered a car wash...
Old 01-14-2017, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it would look better if they were the same color temp. as the headlights...

Last edited by polo1; 01-15-2017 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'll have to admit Looks nice. Not that I'd do it though
Old 01-15-2017, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm neutral in how it looks. On one hand, it's nice to have lights where one expects fog lights should be. On the other, I see the same thing on 15 year old Camrys. So I guess I'd say it's a good concept in of itself, but because it's identical to a popular modification on lesser cars, it kind of brings it down a bit.

The wheels look nice, which ones are they?
Old 01-15-2017, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack88
I'm neutral in how it looks. On one hand, it's nice to have lights where one expects fog lights should be. On the other, I see the same thing on 15 year old Camrys. So I guess I'd say it's a good concept in of itself, but because it's identical to a popular modification on lesser cars, it kind of brings it down a bit.

The wheels look nice, which ones are they?
Agreed. Don't mess with a perfect face.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As I said in the prior post. I expect this on Japanese imports... sometimes I see these on older MB S class, but overall I think it has no business on a premium Audi.

Your A8 front end already has a great presence, now it is ruined with cheap lights that don't match. Maybe you'll get more props from Accord guys, but certainly not from high end car enthusiasts.

For what it's worth, you should consider taking it off...
Old 01-15-2017, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

unfortunately I agree, doesn't really look right on the car. They do look similar in idea to the older S6 that had an LED factory strip in the bumper, I like it back then. I don't think the A8 needs it personally. But if it makes you happy, then that's all the matters.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

+1. The A8L needs Nothing! But driven. I would liked to have done some coast to coast trips
Old 01-15-2017, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default I appreciate the comments guys and understand...

....I just thought that the nose looked unbalanced. I agree that I've got to match the color temperature better. Now that it's wired up, I'll experiment with a few different strips. I thought about halos around the radomes, but that that was a bridge too far for an Audi let alone an A8. I just like having something a little different....but it's got to look OEM.

Quick Reply: Added LEDs to A8 next to radar pods