A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

New a4 2.0 quattro noise issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New a4 2.0 quattro noise issue

I am a new A4 owner from Taiwan, my car got a strange noise that even Taiwan Audi has no idea where it came from, so I really need some help. I just got my car last week. Now when the speed over 40km/h, there is a noise coming out. When you keep speeding up, the frequency will become very high. It really like a bug buzzing, not loud but very annoying. Dealer believed this sound was behind the dashboard. They said if I would like to fix this problem, they have to remove the dashboard and this is what I don't accept.

Those sits below are the noise record, perhaps you have to turn the speaker up. I want to ask does anyone have the same experience or anyone know where the noise comes from?

Old 01-14-2017, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

There was at least one other thread that mentioned this issue. In one case it seems it was a wheel bearing issue. See here.

Last edited by Steven88; 01-14-2017 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I've replied in the other thread you posted. Check that out too.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Steven88
There was at least one other thread that mentioned this issue. In one case it seems it was a wheel bearing issue. See here.
I have seen this thread yesterday, and considered that I got the same problem. I will tell dealer to check bearing tomorrow. The mileage only about 400km, this issue really makes me crazy.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
I've replied in the other thread you posted. Check that out too.
I got your post! If you sit at driver's seat, you will exactly hear the noise coming from the dashboard and that’s why dealer believed the problem is behind the dashboard. I didn’t try getting alignment done yet, but I have checked the left front tire, it’s clear. I will ask dealer to check the bearing and wheel alignment; otherwise, I really scare they will remove my HUD tomorrow...
Old 01-15-2017, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

The fact that the sound varies with speed is what makes me think it could be either a bearing or an alignment issue. Or maybe a loose wire or something rubbing the wheel.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The fact that the sound varies with speed is what makes me think it could be either a bearing or an alignment issue. Or maybe a loose wire or something rubbing the wheel.
Yes, speed won't affect a dashboard issue. You'd expect the guy at your dealership to follow the same logic..

Anyway, see this video. If your problem sounds similar, I think you have a solution.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I think I have the same noise - see my earlier post. A buzzing/thrumming sound from behind the dashboard, most noticeable in the driver seat, increases with vehicle speed not engine speed. It's not that loud, but annoying in such a quiet car. It doesn't sound like a wheel bearing or other mechanical problem. I was supposed to take my new A4 in to the dealer on Monday, but got snowed out, so hopefully next week. Please let me know if you find out anything new.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Damn, you are so amazing. You got the right answer, it was bearing issue. Yesterday I came back to dealer, technicians believed it was dashboard problem; so they still removed my dashboard, it was hurt for me…
After they removed the dashboard, the noise still existed then they focused the bearing finally.
Dealer responded that both left-front and right-front bearing were unusual, and I have to wait until new bearings get to Taiwan. They also believed the issue is from the parts supplier, so it could happen in recent A4 2.0 Quattro owners.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Steven88
Yes, speed won't affect a dashboard issue. You'd expect the guy at your dealership to follow the same logic..

Anyway, see this video. If your problem sounds similar, I think you have a solution.
video
Problem solved. Bearings issue, but both left-front and right-front bearing. I really want to blame Taiwan Audi, everyone even you guys believed it was bearing issue, only they believed it was dashboard issue.

Quick Reply: New a4 2.0 quattro noise issue