A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Why I would want to have a dash cam

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why I would want to have a dash cam

I remember posting my thoughts in one thread from Toronto somewhere in early December, when some folks got into a close physical contact because of a road rage definition. Never push the brakes in front of me - without a valid reason!
I live in Toronto area as well, it is a huge traffic with millions of drivers commuting streets or Hwy's for whatever reason, most of times we facing the border line with nerves.
I was reading this news feed today morning and can give my full sympathy to the outcome.
Moral of the story is, that in some countries a road rage will/can cost you the license for at least for 11 months, as was the case for this blue car driver

Last edited by bigHUN; 01-16-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

I would like to ask the same question. I was rear-ended late last year in my A4 and the guy took off. If I'd had a dash cam I could have recorded the whole thing, including his license plate number. If I'd had that information, would I have taken it to the police? Also, if your dash cam records some crazy driver like the one in the previous post, do you report it?
Old 01-16-2017, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Yes. In America, dashcam footage is evidence.

Since his previous post shows the truck hitting the car, I'm guessing the police was involved and yes. He will be in trouble for bad driving.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

For several weeks now I am researching the dashcam's, for now can't decide between these two but also open for new ideas:
Vicovation Vico-Opia2
Viofo A119
I can not justify anything more expensive, both units video quality is decent as I can read from a review and one other review...
Old 01-16-2017, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigHUN
For several weeks now I am researching the dashcam's, for now can't decide between these two but also open for new ideas:
Vicovation Vico-Opia2
Viofo A119
I can not justify anything more expensive, both units video quality is decent as I can read from a review and one other review...
I don't know what those ones cost. I have a Blackvue DR3500-FHD that I picked up at Best Buy last year for $170. The quality is quite good, but it's only forward facing. I had used it in my previous vehicle but haven't bothered installing it in my new A4 yet. I had picked the Blackvue because it's quite discreet, had decent reviews, and BestBuy was throwing in a Power Magic Pro for free (normally $50) at the time. I ended up just plugging it into the cig lighter rather than hard wiring it, so I never used the Power Magic Pro.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Remember, dashcams work both ways. If you make a mistake, if you suffer from a bout of road rage, if anything is a 50/50 fault split, your dashcam is going to prove you in the wrong direction. Unless you drive 100% perfect 100% of the time, expect the dashcam to be a neutral asset.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I like the idea of a dashcam, but I would want it hard wired and that's another modification I would not attempt by myself. Another concern would be something we posted in another thread here - smashed windows to steal anything perceived of as being of monetary value - and that dashcam is of value. About a year ago, my friend who works the night shift in NYC, came out to find the side of his car banged up and mirror knocked off. Seems that a driver hit his car and others and moved on, this was recorded and was covered by insurance, but my friend has filed a claim in small claims court for the deductible. Being NYC, nothing has come of that claim - driver never responded.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by bigHUN
Vicovation Vico-Opia2
Viofo A119
The Opia2 is the one I have. Big difference between the two. The Opia2 has parking monitor(which is what I wanted), the Viofo does not. Also, the Opia is suction cup mounted in addition to a sticky mount. The Viofo is only sticky mount. Also, the Opia can be rotated around so I can record when a cop pulls me over. Cant do that on the Viofo.

Any questions, just ask. I did 2 weeks of 24/7 research on cams.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I started a dash cam thread in the A6 forum here: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...h-cam-2898838/
Old 01-17-2017, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HyperS4
The Opia2 is the one I have. Big difference between the two. The Opia2 has parking monitor(which is what I wanted), the Viofo does not. Also, the Opia is suction cup mounted in addition to a sticky mount. The Viofo is only sticky mount. Also, the Opia can be rotated around so I can record when a cop pulls me over. Cant do that on the Viofo.

Any questions, just ask. I did 2 weeks of 24/7 research on cams.
I have the Viofo A119, and it does have a pseudo "parking mode" via motion detection without a pre-buffer option. I don't use that though as I've only connected it to the 12V socket which loses power when the car is switched off.

How is the PQ on the Opia2? Just got my wife a new car and am in the market for another dashcam.

Quick Reply: Why I would want to have a dash cam