Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Need some advice on paint and leather colors

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice on paint and leather colors

I live in a rural area and there are only a few black and white Q7's on the lot. They do have quite a few sedans and Q5s. So, I'm curious if any of the paint/leather I'm curious about have equivalents in the sedans of a different name.

On the paint, I'm looking at Argus Brown or Graphite grey. Any Sedans with same paint, but different name (not sure if Audi does that like Chevy and others do) or a sedan paint that's similar.

In the leather, cedar brown leather.

Also, if you've seen it, does the Cedar Brown and layered walnut go good together or do they clash. In some pictures I've seen, cedar brown ranges from brown to orange looking, and I'm wondering if the walnut looks to matchy/matchy to go with cedar brown.

I hate to order site unseen, but that's what I might have to do if I go with Argus brown paint or Cedar leather.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

I love the Argus brown but my wife didn't so we went with Silver. The paint colors are the same across the model lines, but aren't always offered on every model. Glacier white and Florett Silver are offered on several different models but I don't think Argus is offered on any sedans IIRC Java brown is what is on the A6.
Originally I was wanting the Nougat brown and Layered Walnut combo but came to the conclusion it wouldn't be very cohesive. I would imagine with the cedar brown not being too far off from the Nougat you may end up feeling the same way. I never saw these combos in person so it's really hard for me to say how they look but I didn't want to take that gamble. I do think a black headliner would be a must with any of the brown interiors.
Heres a pic I've found of the Nougat and layered Walnut. It's a love it or hate it kind of thing. Hope it helps you make a decision.

Last edited by TDI Brad; 01-17-2017 at 01:55 AM.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Both the graphite gray and Argus brown are very nice, just depends on your preference.

As far as the interiors, I have seen all the leather / trim combos in person. As I am sure you are discovering pictures online vary a lot in tone and pretty much all them are inaccurate vs in person. Keep in mind the cedar brown is only available w the Luxury package which adds a nice chunk of $. Despite how it may appear in many online pics, the nougat brown and cedar brown in person are are quite different and are different types of leather. Headliner color will also affect how they appear. The cedar brown is more like a "Coach" brand brown leaning towards a cognac brown. Being Valcona, it has a different feel as well (think rich fine luxury leather). The nougat is a darker dulled brown hue (I do not mean that at all in a negative way, its just the best word that comes to mind in describing the color). Both are very nice looking but there is a reason the cedar costs what it does. Most shoppers do not get an chance to see the cedar in person as dealers simply rarely have one just sitting on the lot, so no comparison reference. 9 out of 10 brown interiors on the road are likely nougat.

With regards to the trim, its really a personal preference thing. For me, I think the walnut or burl trim are best with a black leather and do not really go well with the brown leathers (had Audi chosen some different tones of brown trim, could have been great). The layered walnut is blonder then I think a lot people expect in person but does have dark lines in it so if I "had" to mate it with a brown, would be the nougat for the best match. The gray trim should really have been called charcoal, because unless you have sun hitting it just right (rarely the case), its quite dark. It provides the richest look imo with the browns particularly when paired withe the luxury package having alcantara in the door panels (another difference w nougat vs cedar, nougat has color matched brown in the door panels and the cedar does not.

No right or wrong with any of it, all just preference. Enjoy!!
Old 01-17-2017, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks guys. Both of the replies were helpful. I think I'm going to play it safe and go with black interior. The dealership has a grey metallic with black leather and grey wood arriving in the next week or two, so I think I'll run down (two hours away) when that comes in and check out the color combo.

Although, if I'm not blown away by the black with grey wood, I'm leaning towards black with the layered walnut. I don't think I have the guts to go with either the Argus brown or the cedar brown interior site unseen and will probably play it safe with grey or silver exterior and black or grey interior.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can also get a sense of what they look like by building one here.

https://www.audiusa.com/models/audi-q7

The interior (all) pics will change depending on which options you choose.

I will say my cars terra brown inlays ended up being a bit darker than what they show. I have black leather and am thinking the walnut would have been a good choice too.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bozman5000
You can also get a sense of what they look like by building one here.

https://www.audiusa.com/models/audi-q7

The interior (all) pics will change depending on which options you choose.

I will say my cars terra brown inlays ended up being a bit darker than what they show. I have black leather and am thinking the walnut would have been a good choice too.
Yea, I've spent a lot of time in there. Problem is it seems to vary for each computer I'm on, even put it up on my TV last night. So, I'm not real clear what the "real" color is, but I agree, it gives a good sense, including the feel for how with the Cedar brown it's mostly surrounded by black, where the pistachio has lots of additional brown.

I've been a bit obsessed by that site the last week or so.

I found a youtube video in the black optics thread that I believe has an interior of cedar brown and layered walnut and I'm not sure I'm crazy about it, but really wish I could see it in person.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by tnedator
Thanks guys. Both of the replies were helpful. I think I'm going to play it safe and go with black interior. The dealership has a grey metallic with black leather and grey wood arriving in the next week or two, so I think I'll run down (two hours away) when that comes in and check out the color combo.

Although, if I'm not blown away by the black with grey wood, I'm leaning towards black with the layered walnut. I don't think I have the guts to go with either the Argus brown or the cedar brown interior site unseen and will probably play it safe with grey or silver exterior and black or grey interior.
I have a Graphite Gray, Black Leather and Grey Wood, looks great.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Lookout57
I have a Graphite Gray, Black Leather and Grey Wood, looks great.
The one the dealer has (sitting at port) on the way in, while not with all the options I want, is exactly that color combo. I'm very curious. Right now, I'm thinking that or swapping out the grey wood for the layered walnut, but am hoping I love the color combo you have when I see it.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tnedator

I have the silver and grey combo, check out my thread for an idea of how it looks. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...-mine-2911380/ Sorry it's all iPhone photos..
Old 01-17-2017, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TDI Brad
I have the silver and grey combo, check out my thread for an idea of how it looks. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...-mine-2911380/ Sorry it's all iPhone photos..
I have seen that thread. Looks sharp. I really love the grey interior, but worry about staining on the lighter carpet.

Quick Reply: Need some advice on paint and leather colors