Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

New Member, New to Audi - Deciding b/w Q7 or Tahoe for Family Car

Old 01-17-2017, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member, New to Audi - Deciding b/w Q7 or Tahoe for Family Car

Hi All -

I am a new member and am also new to Audi in general, so please be gentle. We've been researching vehicles for a couple of months because the time has come to replace our 2006 Honda Pilot EX-L with 200,000 miles on it. Except for our current second car (an Acura TSX), and a brief stint with a 2003 BMW 330ci before the kids came along, I've owned Honda vehicles exclusively.

We aren't interested in another Pilot or the MDX - been there, done that, and our pocketbook can now accommodate a nice family vehicle. After researching, we have narrowed our two favorites to the Audi Q7 Premium Plus (strongly considering the 2.0) or a Tahoe LTZ (or Premier, as it is called in the 2017 model).

We went and looked at both, but only test drove the Tahoe, as the Audi dealership we went to is awaiting its new shipment of Q7's. They only had one Q7 in stock, a Premium 2.0.

This vehicle will be used for our primary family hauler. We have two boys, ages 5 and 7. As both parents work, this vehicle will get lots of road use. The cost of fuel is really a wash, because the mpg on the Tahoe is 16 for City driving, so that eats up the savings from using regular unleaded. We think the difference is about $2 higher per thank for the Q7.

Here's a list of our needs, and which vehicle *we* think has the edge. I'd love thoughts from those who own/have owned Q7's and/or a Tahoe:

1. Work Commute (4 days/week): Between 40-60 miles each commute day, mostly stop and go highway driving in Atlanta. Slight edge to Q7 for MPG.

2. Parking: Both of us park in rather tight garages. Obviously the Q7 gets the edge for smaller size.

3. Gadgets: Q7, no comparison.

4. Entertainment for Kiddos: Can someone help a sister out here? The Audi sales guy told us to save our $$ and just get iPads. While I understand his sentiment, we are concerned that: (i) you can't really leave iPads laying about in a parked, unattended car these days, so they'll have to come in with us to malls, bathroom breaks, etc; (ii) if we have movies purchased on Amazon Prime, Netflix, etc, won't the constant streaming max out our wireless plan quickly?; (iii) what to do? Get the connection for $150 and then have an after market system installed? Edge to Tahoe here, in car DVD system with wireless headphones.

5. Road Trips: Edge to Tahoe for sheer space of the passenger compartment. We often travel with my mom, and the 2nd row captains chairs in the Tahoe make 3rd row a much more comfortable place to be. However, Audi's front seats are more comfortable.

6. Practicality: Maybe edge to Tahoe because it's not a fancy luxury vehicle like the Q7. But it IS much larger, so getting in and out of places will be tougher.

7. Price: Believe it or not, the edge may to go Audi here. We test drove a 2016 Tahoe LTZ that was fully-loaded, and the specs were comparable to a Premium Plus with the warm weather package. The Tahoe did have the rear entertainment. The Tahoe was about $61K after offered rebates and discounts (we didn't negotiate at all, so I feel sure I can knock a chunk off of that since the model we drove was a 2016 with 5K miles). The Premium Plus 2.0 is actually about the same.

8. Warranty: Audi, hands down. Audi dealer we went to offers 50K/5 year bumper to bumper and 100K/10 year powertrain. Chevy offered 40k/5 year powertrain, very poor. I'm sure we could negotiate a better warranty.

9. Safety: Q7, those front crash videos are amazing. With the Tahoe, size is on your side.

We drive our cars to 200,000, barring an accident of course.

Guys (and gals), for our life, what do you think would be best and why? I apologize for the novel. As you can tell, the scales are fairly balanced, so it's time to talk to owners of both. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

It sounds like the Q7 fits your lifestyle. It you had 3 kids and/or did a lot of towing, I'd go with the Tahoe.

Regarding entertainment, you can now download Netflix content directly to the device. I wouldn't never spring for an entertainment system now. That was a concern of ours when we migrated from an Odyssey to the Q7, but that has not been an issue.

If you're concerned with space, a roof box is what we use when we're loaded and need extra cargo space.

Good luck with the decision.

Also, if the budget allows I'd go for the V6. The 4 cyl should be adequate but the 6 is very refined and shouldn't use much more gas than the 4.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, I've owned 3 Tahoe's and 1 Q7 and here's my take on your questions....

Size, Tahoe hands down
Technology, Q7 Hands down
MPG, basically a wash
Entertainment, eh.., Q7 has horrible RSE, Tahoe isn't much better, Separate IPads would be your best bet IMO.
Interior, Q7
Quietness, Q7
Reliability, yet to be determined, Tahoe has a lot less to break though.
Build Quality, Q7 (Tahoe has a cheap plastic feeling inside)
Size, again Tahoe, the main thing I miss about my Tahoe's is the feel of "King of the road", I feel the Q7 is small feeling in comparison.

And my decision at the end of the day was pretty obvious as I'm in a 17 Q7 but I do miss the Tahoe a lot.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks NABS4 - my husband was concerned that downloading content directly to the device would eat up memory quickly on a lower capacity iPad. Have you found this to be the case? Do you have a mounting for your iPad for the headrest?
Old 01-17-2017, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
And my decision at the end of the day was pretty obvious as I'm in a 17 Q7 but I do miss the Tahoe a lot.
Ha - Not sure how to take that! The Q7 is definitely a step above for the same $$$. In the end, I am having a tough time reconciling spending the same on a Chevy as I would an actual three-row SUV.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, My Tahoe was a 3 row vehicle and it has about the same amount of leg room in the 3rd row which is unusable for an adult. Where the Q7 is better than the Tahoe is there is some cargo room behind the 3rd row, the Tahoe, not really.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I use ipads for the kiddos...there is enough places to hide them in the vehicle. I hide mines under the car seat. Can also hide it in the compartment where the sub is. There is several options. I sat in a new tahoe 3rd row at the Seattle auto show and suprisingsly I could not fit. I could fit in the q7, mdx, xc90 3rd rows. Im 6 1. Just wasnt enough room for my feet.
Honestly both vehicles will do what you want it to do more or less. If you want just a vehicle to make it happen go with the tahoe. If want you a refined vehicle, where the standards are above the norm go with the Audi. I enjoy every minute sitting in the Q7 cockpit. Good luck
Old 01-17-2017, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

I've never quite thought of these two as competitors so never comparison shopped, but am curious...what is the difference in engine between the 2.0 and the Tahoe?
Old 01-17-2017, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had a Tahoe for 20 years prior to this Q7, so I can relate in the dilemma.

In regards to the entertainment. Ipad hands down. For less than the price of what one Audi tablet costs you will get the best ipad money can buy. The current Audi tablet is also not the best of fastest in terms of specs. I am not trying to dig at Audi, its just the reality.

In regards to the utility aspect of the software, I think you will find similar restrictions on data usage as you would with the ipads. From what I have seen, the product is not yet as polished as the rest of the car.

The Audi tablets are also easily removable, so leaving them mounted on the back of the seat is also enticing for a criminal, whereas the ipad you could just slide under the seat just as well.

Believe me, I am not promoting Apple, just using it as an example. From the sound of it, you want something that works out of the box with minimal fuss.

The most important aspect is keeping mom happy. You all should go on a test drive.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Consumers reports rates the Q7 as the best SUV they've ever tested. The reliability has also been excellent so far. The Tahoe is rated as one of the worst SUVs as far as reliability.

I would expect some decent fuel savings with the Q7 too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Member, New to Audi - Deciding b/w Q7 or Tahoe for Family Car