Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

A5 3.2 knock sound from rear when pulling away

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A5 3.2 knock sound from rear when pulling away

Hello,
First post. Apologies if this is redundant but I couldnt find the same problem in a search. The car is a manual transmission. When I pull away in first, there is a single knock sound coming from the rear of the car. It occurs at about 5-10 mph. A couple times it's happened in second, if I shift at a low speed. The noise does not occur when slowing down. I can't take the car in for 2 weeks so I'd like to know if i should stop driving it. Could this be the differential? Or differential mounts? There's nothing in my trunk btw. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default It's possibly a U-joint loose/failing at some point.

Originally Posted by Alfa_Metal
Hello,
First post. Apologies if this is redundant but I couldnt find the same problem in a search. The car is a manual transmission. When I pull away in first, there is a single knock sound coming from the rear of the car. It occurs at about 5-10 mph. A couple times it's happened in second, if I shift at a low speed. The noise does not occur when slowing down. I can't take the car in for 2 weeks so I'd like to know if i should stop driving it. Could this be the differential? Or differential mounts? There's nothing in my trunk btw. Thanks in advance.
Unusual but not unheard of. If you can get under the car or jack/jackstands, you might be able to twist the driveshaft back and forth and see how much play you have. There should be zero play in the driveshaft(s) (two piece)--hold the front or rear and twist the other, it's a little more tricky checking the front and rear U-joints but you should be able to feel a loose joint. You might also be able to see a torn differential mount bushing as well. Rear suspension arms/bushings can be checked as well as rear shock mount(s). OEM rear shock mounts are pretty durable, 100K or more. I only had rear shock mount failures on a 2000 4.2A6Q after 107K miles when I went to Koni sports.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Unusual but not unheard of. If you can get under the car or jack/jackstands, you might be able to twist the driveshaft back and forth and see how much play you have. There should be zero play in the driveshaft(s) (two piece)--hold the front or rear and twist the other, it's a little more tricky checking the front and rear U-joints but you should be able to feel a loose joint. You might also be able to see a torn differential mount bushing as well. Rear suspension arms/bushings can be checked as well as rear shock mount(s). OEM rear shock mounts are pretty durable, 100K or more. I only had rear shock mount failures on a 2000 4.2A6Q after 107K miles when I went to Koni sports.
Thank you for your input! If its the u-joints, does the whole drive shaft need to be replaced?
Old 01-18-2017, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default I think so

Originally Posted by Alfa_Metal
Thank you for your input! If its the u-joints, does the whole drive shaft need to be replaced?
It appears Audi balances the shaft assembly. I've had several Audis however and not had to replace the driveshaft so it would be unusual. Certainly warranty if still covered.