A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Can't download map update

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't download map update

My car tells me that there is a map update to install. The file size is large so I thought I would go the thumb drive route. When I go to the download page it only downloads a .jnlp file that is just 7kB.

I called Audi help and they were clueless about the problem.

Am I missing something?
Old 01-18-2017, 07:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by robA4fan
My car tells me that there is a map update to install. The file size is large so I thought I would go the thumb drive route. When I go to the download page it only downloads a .jnlp file that is just 7kB.

I called Audi help and they were clueless about the problem.

Am I missing something?
Your missing java. The .jnlp is a Java extension make sure you have latest free java version installed. It will open a small application that will then in turn download the new map updates for you.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Johannes Schauss
Your missing java. The .jnlp is a Java extension make sure you have latest free java version installed. It will open a small application that will then in turn download the new map updates for you.
BIG thanks.

10 GB now on its way.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by robA4fan
BIG thanks.

10 GB now on its way.
Let me know if the inot all works for you. It didn't want to update for me.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

It took me several hours to download the whole update and it timed out several times. I had to keep signing in to restart it and I have a pretty fast internet. Once I got it on a sd card it updated on the MMI in about 30 minutes.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

[QUOTE=gguy;24909922]It took me several hours to download the whole update and it timed out several times. I had to keep signing in to restart it and I have a pretty fast internet. Once I got it on a sd card it updated on the MMI in about 30 minutes.[/QUOTE

HOw did you start the update process?
Old 01-18-2017, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

[QUOTE=Johannes Schauss;24909925]
Originally Posted by gguy
It took me several hours to download the whole update and it timed out several times. I had to keep signing in to restart it and I have a pretty fast internet. Once I got it on a sd card it updated on the MMI in about 30 minutes.[/QUOTE

HOw did you start the update process?
Great question, because I remember that I had to go deeper into the menu on the MMI than I thought I but I do not recall exactly how I did it, but software update for the map came up and then the options came up where to find it and I selected the sd card slot where I had the update and it took off. Pretty sure i started in the Audi Connect tab.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Johannes Schauss
I had the same problem initially. The Audi Connect rep ID'd it right away and problem was solved. He said this happens a lot and there should be a pop up or something showing Java not enabled or installed etc.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gguy
It took me several hours to download the whole update and it timed out several times. I had to keep signing in to restart it and I have a pretty fast internet. Once I got it on a sd card it updated on the MMI in about 30 minutes.
Same here. It was 4+ hours with fast internet. Once in-car with the SD card it was 30-40 minutes.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Yup. Took me 4+ hrs to download it. Had to sign in twice (once before the download started and once halfway through the download).

Then plug the USB drive in, go to Audi connect, hit the left drawer button, something about navigation or something pops up, hit that and there's an option to update software. Hit that and it asks you where you want to install it from. Choose sd card or USB, whichever you use, and hit ok. I might be off since I did it a while ago and I'm recalling from memory.

Install took about 20 mins for me.

Quick Reply: Can't download map update