Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Q7 stock sound system

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q7 stock sound system

The stock sound system quite frankly is on par with a 20k dollar car (if lucky), it is clear but not balanced at all (and yes we have looked at all setting). Our salesperson said the stock was fine, but after taking it home it is clear they did not put a lot of effort into it.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

You didn't listen to the radio on a car before purchasing it? Did you even drive it?
Old 01-18-2017, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Some people simply don't care about the sound-system on their vehicle. My mother, for example, mainly listens to either CNN radio on Sirius or another AM(!!) talk-radio. THIS is exactly why there are entry-systems out there.

For me, stock wouldn't have been an option. Bose would have been the minimum but I even opted for the B&O.

I can understand that you might be disappointed in the stock-system and the argument that it should be better on such a vehicle is valid as well - but in the end, the choice is/was up to you. After all, the Bose is certainly not too expensive for what it delivers and it's a feature not too difficult to find on inventory-vehicles, either.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I drove a Premium and a Premium Plus model, both with base stereo systems, they were horrible. The upgraded Bose is ok and I'm glad I have it in my Prestige but I'm always wondering what the B&O sounds like and if I should have ordered it. I have heard the B&O isn't worth the 5k but I haven't heard it in person to compare it to the Bose.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
I drove a Premium and a Premium Plus model, both with base stereo systems, they were horrible. The upgraded Bose is ok and I'm glad I have it in my Prestige but I'm always wondering what the B&O sounds like and if I should have ordered it. I have heard the B&O isn't worth the 5k but I haven't heard it in person to compare it to the Bose.
Make sure you optimize the settings on the Bose. There's a thread regarding the settings. I find it very good.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have heard the B&O isn't worth the 5k but I haven't heard it in person to compare it to the Bose.
Although I ordered it, I'm also pretty sure it's not worth $5K - to put a value on it, I would estimate it would be around half.

I also like the B&O aesthetically (metal speaker covers, rising tweeters etc.).

Just had to LOL because I almost typed B$O....
Old 01-19-2017, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm about to order a prestige and rarely listen to music. I'm mostly a talk radio guy, and listen to music "maybe" a few times a month, if I get totally sick of NFL or other news.

Based on what I'm reading, the Bose may not be as good as the B&O, but still sounds good. Correct?
Old 01-19-2017, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

I have the B&O and it is significantly better than the Blose. Just wished it was less expensive. I went for it and the Luxury as I am planning on keeping the Q7 for a long time.

The B&O price did come down in the A6/A7 from when I purchased my A7. Maybe in time it will come down in the future.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Comparing it to other systems within the brand and the numbers of speakers (23, 1,920 watts) on the Q7, it's actually not too bad.

On the A8, it's actually $6,300 for 19 Speakers and 1,400 watts. At least that's how it was on the 2016...

Last edited by AudiFanFL; 01-19-2017 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'd like to offer my opinion on the stock system of my 2014 A6 Prestige TDI. I put this out there from the perspective of an semi-audiophile who understands that perceptions of sound quality are highly subjective. I'd add that a car is a terrible place for high quality sound. The acoustics of the interior, the short distances and extreme separation angles of the listeners, and the high background noise are an audio engineer's design nightmare. When we are all sitting there watching our autonomous self-driving electric cars wheel us around maybe we could wear earphones which will help a lot (if laws allow it).

In my subjective opinion Bose has never made a speaker system worth listening to for high quality music performance. The system in my 2014 A6 just plain sucks in a lot of ways. I have heard much better from less expensive vehicles. My wife's Acura MDX blows the Blose away. I have not heard the new Q7 but the forums say the stock Bose system is much improved. To get to the real point of my post it really depends on how you want to use the system. If you listen to talk radio all day the basic system is just as good as the B&O. Same if you listen to AM. If you listen to low-bit rate mp3s the stock or Bose might do just fine because you're one of those people who just wants some pleasant music which both systems will provide. In spite of my criticism I have learned to live with the Bose in the A6. If you really want high bit rate full spectrum music buy the B&O but remember a car is a tough place for audio and you will never match a high quality home stereo.

The only other consideration is how long you will have the car and whether one of these systems affects resale more than another. We don't often discuss the failure and repair rate or resale value of Audi stereos on the Audi forum. I suspect that's because most of the people here are more focused on Audi as a car--the ride, the handling, the luxury, the total experience. When I first got my A6 (my first Audi) I swore I never buy another one until Audi dropped Bose. Now after 53K miles I could care less, I'll take the Audi and not worry about the Bose. I doubt that Audi will ever install a better base stereo because that's a cost and they are incredibly focused on cost containment; there is also the case to be made that not everybody wants to pay for an expensive radio so this gives options to upgrade to those who want better. Yes, the B&O may be over-priced but it gives you a choice if you really want it.

My next car will be a Q7 Prestige TDI with the B&O if Audi ever comes near the US again with a diesel. I fear not. That will put me in an MB GLS or maybe the soon to be released BMW 7 series SUV diesels. Too bad, I love my Audi.

Last edited by AudioBear; 01-19-2017 at 10:31 AM.