Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Help! 2017 Q7 Run Flat Tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 10:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! 2017 Q7 Run Flat Tires

I need help - I just had one of my Continental tires blow out and literally shred from the inside out.

I drive a 2017 Q7 Prestige with 21" rims. While driving with my family on the highway, my tire pressure warning light comes on. I am remembering the lecture received at the dealership when the car was purchased about the run flats and how we can drive up to 50 miles and no more than 50 mph after the warning light comes on. Within 2 miles, the car is vibrating and my son noticed smoke coming from the back of the vehicle. I pull over to find my tire completely flat and dimpled, smelling like burning rubber. Obviously I am not going to drive any further so I call a tow. In the meantime, CHP pulls over to see if I need assistance and remarks that my tires do not look like any run flat they've seen in the past... The two truck driver agrees and says that the sidewall of my tire is very thin, unlike any run flats he has seen in the past.

My question is this: I cannot find a straight answer online about whether or not my tires are, in fact, run flats as I was told when my vehicle was purchased. My factory tires are Continental ContiSportContact 5. Photos attached. All of my online research indicates that they are not run flats, they are actually summer tires not fit for ice or snow. If they truly are run flats, has anyone experienced their tire disintegrating after only 10K miles? There is no indication of "SSR" or "P" on the tire as described on the Continental website as a way to decipher run flats from regular tires.

Any information is appreciated. Thank you!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
IMG_5937.JPG-2.pdf (1.83 MB, 267 views)
File Type: pdf
IMG_5939.JPG.pdf (1.07 MB, 182 views)
Old 01-21-2017, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JessRega
I need help - I just had one of my Continental tires blow out and literally shred from the inside out.

I drive a 2017 Q7 Prestige with 21" rims. While driving with my family on the highway, my tire pressure warning light comes on. I am remembering the lecture received at the dealership when the car was purchased about the run flats and how we can drive up to 50 miles and no more than 50 mph after the warning light comes on. Within 2 miles, the car is vibrating and my son noticed smoke coming from the back of the vehicle. I pull over to find my tire completely flat and dimpled, smelling like burning rubber. Obviously I am not going to drive any further so I call a tow. In the meantime, CHP pulls over to see if I need assistance and remarks that my tires do not look like any run flat they've seen in the past... The two truck driver agrees and says that the sidewall of my tire is very thin, unlike any run flats he has seen in the past.

My question is this: I cannot find a straight answer online about whether or not my tires are, in fact, run flats as I was told when my vehicle was purchased. My factory tires are Continental ContiSportContact 5. Photos attached. All of my online research indicates that they are not run flats, they are actually summer tires not fit for ice or snow. If they truly are run flats, has anyone experienced their tire disintegrating after only 10K miles? There is no indication of "SSR" or "P" on the tire as described on the Continental website as a way to decipher run flats from regular tires.

Any information is appreciated. Thank you!
You would be better off posting this in the Q7 MkII section of this forum Q7 MKII Discussion - AudiWorld Forums but at any rate, welcome to the forum.
Since you mention CHP I'm guessing you're in Calif / USA. That being the case, if you have the 21 inch option - they are NOT run flats. Only the 20 inch OEMs are. There are several threads in the other forum discussing run flats / non run flat.
The 21s you have are definitely High Performance SUMMER tires. If you're in Northern Cal and might encounter temps below about 40F or snow do not plan on doing any extended driving with them - they are actually dangerous in that environment. If you're in SoCal, you're fine. That was all I ran when I lived in Southern L.A. county.
What kind of worries me is that you had a catastrophic failure with those tires which is what mine came with. Right now, I'm on my 20 inch winter wheels with Bridgestone Blizzaks but please let us know when you find out what caused the failure.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you SO very much for your reply. I will go investigate the MkII forum, as well. I do, in fact, have the 21's. This information is quite concerning because when we purchased the vehicle (I am in Northern CA), we specifically asked about the tires being all-weather AND snow safe and were assured by the salesman and the finance manager that they were absolutely safe. I wonder how they can put NON run flat tires on a vehicle and not include a spare?!

Feeling quite discouraged at this point. I will absolutely report back what we hear from the tire shop.

On a separate note - hope that you never encounter an issue like this while away from home. We were traveling out of town and Audi Roadside will only tow to the nearest dealership, no matter where that may be. Our option was 120 miles away in the opposite direction, and they would only take two additional passengers in the tow truck...we are a family of 4 with a dog. We were told we would have to find alternate transportation for the other two passengers. They offered to pay for an Uber... of which there were ZERO where we were when this occurred. Total nightmare. We ended up using AAA who offered an extended can tow truck. Shame, Audi!
Old 01-21-2017, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

That should be *cab, not extended can.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

The 21-in wheels on the 2017 Q7 are equipped with 285/40 summer tires, definitely NOT run-flat.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JessRega
Thank you SO very much for your reply. I will go investigate the MkII forum, as well. I do, in fact, have the 21's. This information is quite concerning because when we purchased the vehicle (I am in Northern CA), we specifically asked about the tires being all-weather AND snow safe and were assured by the salesman and the finance manager that they were absolutely safe. I wonder how they can put NON run flat tires on a vehicle and not include a spare?!

Feeling quite discouraged at this point. I will absolutely report back what we hear from the tire shop.

On a separate note - hope that you never encounter an issue like this while away from home. We were traveling out of town and Audi Roadside will only tow to the nearest dealership, no matter where that may be. Our option was 120 miles away in the opposite direction, and they would only take two additional passengers in the tow truck...we are a family of 4 with a dog. We were told we would have to find alternate transportation for the other two passengers. They offered to pay for an Uber... of which there were ZERO where we were when this occurred. Total nightmare. We ended up using AAA who offered an extended can tow truck. Shame, Audi!
The 20 inch option for the Mk II Q7 are all season in addition to being run flat. I'm surprised your dealer is so "unknowledgeable". They're setting themselves up for a major lawsuit by giving you factually incorrect information.. When I picked up my Q7 the dealer had me sign a waiver acknowledging that the car had "high performance summer tires". That stemmed from an idiot who bought an S7 with summers, tried to race around in the snow & totaled his new car. He sued the dealer because "they didn't warn him"
Takes all kinds.
I assume you know at least there's a can of puncture sealant & a compressor in the back of your car (wouldn't have helped in this case though)

Last edited by Cadx6; 01-21-2017 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default just out of curiosity...

I was not aware that the contis were run flats I know my UHP DWS tires are not run flats. I know this for sure as I had a chuck hole flat with one of mine and it was flat as a pancake. The run flat on my mini cooper still had sidewall on it when I had a flat with them.

Last edited by flynavy; 01-21-2017 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by flynavy
I was not aware that the contis were run flats I know my UHP DWS tires are not run flats. I know this for sure as I had a chuck hole flat with one of mine and it was flat as a pancake. The run flat on my mini cooper still had sidewall on it when I had a flat with them.
Just to reiterate - the Contis that are OEM with the 21" optional wheels are NOT run flats. Don't know what brand(s) come on the 20" 10 spoke wheels but they ARE run flat.