A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Center Display burned out

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Center Display burned out

2008 Audi A6 with a bit over 113,000 miles....
Was driving the other day when I could smell something electrical burning.... pulled over and checked the car...couldn't see anything so thought it maybe came from outside.... started to drive again..the smell came back and then within seconds the color center display between the Tach and Speedometer just went blank....Been like that for a week now...
I did some search on the internet and see that there were many users reporting that issue and the solution is to send the entire display for repair....since dealer will charge well over $1600 for the repairs.

I also see lot of used center clusters (the entire display) on ebay for as little as $150.
Is there any chance to just replace the center console w/o replacing the entire display cluster ?

I am guessing some capacitor burned out or a part of IC...I could solder a new one but not sure if that would then still require re-coding the entire cluster ?

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2017, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're comfortable soldering and the like, then I'd recommend taking the cluster out and inspecting the electrical components for damage. If the burning smell was that obvious, there's a reasonable chance that the offending component(s) is plainly visible. You could then order the appropriate component and solder it into place. If it's really just a cap, should be less than $5 for the part.

That's probably what I would do...
Old 01-22-2017, 11:11 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tekjunkey
2008 Audi A6 with a bit over 113,000 miles....
Was driving the other day when I could smell something electrical burning.... pulled over and checked the car...couldn't see anything so thought it maybe came from outside.... started to drive again..the smell came back and then within seconds the color center display between the Tach and Speedometer just went blank....Been like that for a week now...
I did some search on the internet and see that there were many users reporting that issue and the solution is to send the entire display for repair....since dealer will charge well over $1600 for the repairs.

I also see lot of used center clusters (the entire display) on ebay for as little as $150.
Is there any chance to just replace the center console w/o replacing the entire display cluster ?

I am guessing some capacitor burned out or a part of IC...I could solder a new one but not sure if that would then still require re-coding the entire cluster ?

Thanks!
Hi, Tanin Auto Electronix here. We are vendors on the site and want to offer some assistance. Though we can't diagnose cluster issues without first seeing and testing clusters, we do have a few options that could help you if the cluster is repairable.

A new Audi Q7 A6 S6 Color TFT Screen here:

Audi Q7 A6 S6 Color TFT Screen

or the repair service for the 2005+ Audi Q7 A6 A4 S4 S6 S5 with Color TFT Screen:

Repair Service 2005+ Audi Q7 A6 A4 S4 S6 S5 with Color TFT Screen

If you would like to give us a call Mon-Fri from 9-5pm CST, one of our sales people can speak more with you about the cluster issues and what we can do to help you out! If for some reason the cluster is not repairable, we also help locate replacements and program correct mileage into them as well.

Let us know if we can be of any assistance.

Thanks,