A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8/S8 Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 11:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A8/S8 Wheels

Hello Gentlemen.

In a bit of a jam. I've a '07 A8L W12 that could benefit from new wheels. I'd like to replace them with the S8 style wheel but not having much luck sourcing them. Any ideas where I might locate a set of four?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Richard
Attached Images  
Old 01-22-2017, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

FWIW, what is in your original picture is not the USA style S8 wheel. I can't speak for Europe though. The USA S8 wheel looks like the one in the picture in my post just below. Also twin 7 spokes, but with a center cap. It is also painted, not polished/clearcoat, and common OE cast construction.

What is in the picture in your post is a very nice wheel--if OE. 20 inch forged, made by Fuchs. The lightest wheel available in 20" OE. Optional on W12s from about 2007 on, and appeared in A8 as an option with 20' sports package IIRC. I swapped my W12 over to them and used for years.

Surprised you can't find any. Did you look on eBay.de? IIRC, I have seen a number of sets in last 6-12 months there. Hopefully some will ship to Spain. BTW, try to find the D3 ones. They are also made for D4 (and S7), but the center hole is larger and the offset a little more aggressive. You can use them with a hub adapter ring, but easiest just to get D3 OE if you can find some reasonably.
Attached Images  
Old 01-23-2017, 12:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Thank you.

Thank you for the precise information. It helps me quite a lot. Out here in the wilderness of Spain we don't have access to wheels shops like in the US or even the UK.

I did find a company in Germany that offers OEM used wheels.

Is it possible these could work? They are for the D4 platform. I wonder if they can fit my D3?

Here are the specs:

Wheel Building one-piece
Manufacturer Number Rim 8R0601025R
Material. Aluminium
Rim Width 8,5
Tyre Width 255
Tyre Cross Section 45
Hole Number 5
Rim Manufacturer Audi
Inch Size 20
Pitch Centre Diameter 112
Load Index 101

Never mind the winter tires in the description. I would purchase the wheels without tires.

Kind regards,

Richard

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
FWIW, what is in your original picture is not the USA style S8 wheel. I can't speak for Europe though. The USA S8 wheel looks like the one in the picture in my post just below. Also twin 7 spokes, but with a center cap. It is also painted, not polished/clearcoat, and common OE cast construction.

What is in the picture in your post is a very nice wheel--if OE. 20 inch forged, made by Fuchs. The lightest wheel available in 20" OE. Optional on W12s from about 2007 on, and appeared in A8 as an option with 20' sports package IIRC. I swapped my W12 over to them and used for years.

Surprised you can't find any. Did you look on eBay.de? IIRC, I have seen a number of sets in last 6-12 months there. Hopefully some will ship to Spain. BTW, try to find the D3 ones. They are also made for D4 (and S7), but the center hole is larger and the offset a little more aggressive. You can use them with a hub adapter ring, but easiest just to get D3 OE if you can find some reasonably.
Attached Thumbnails A8/S8 Wheels-audi-wheels-a8.png  
Old 01-23-2017, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Those still are not the "right" ones. Yes, those would fit, but you would need an adapter ring for the hub--easily found on eBay and other places--and the width at 8 ½" would limit you to 255 tires. They also will be cheaper cast painted ones, not the nice forged ones. You want the 20 x 9 size in a polished finish to get to the forged ones. Also, if the Audi part # in the pictures is "cast" into the wheel, it is indeed cast. If they are stamped into the wheel metal like with a machine punch, those are typically the factory forged ones.

Instead, try this search using eBay.de: Audi original 20 zoll A8 audi original 20 zoll A8 | eBay

You can drop the A8 off the end and get a bunch more hits (many dozens with model reference vs. many hundreds). "original" seems to be the key word to get as many factory wheels on the German site as possible. In USA I would use the phrase OEM but for ebay.de, original seems better. Add felgen for wheels, or alufelgen, if you want but from my prior searches variously unnecessary or can restrict search for ads you might want to see. You will notice a fair percentage of ads that turn up decent hits don't have that type of word in the title.

Then in turn go through those listings to see what you like and will ship to you. I skimmed through and found a lot of D4 era wheels, but some just like you were flagging for the D3 fitment. Short cut to which wheel fits which era is that the D3 era ones have an offset of 46mm (ET46), while the D4 ones are ET37. D3 ones have a center hub hole around 57mm, while D4 ones are around 66mm. If you want 20's, I would focus on the 20 x 9's, and given your preference the high quality forged ones. Standard Audi bolt pattern is referred to as 5 x 112, but they should all say that--whichever generation they are.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 01-23-2017 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Thanks again.

Thank you so very kindly for your help. I am hopeless with this sort of thing.

I found a set of 19" I think might work best. They are 8.5 but that is okay for me. 1/2 inch is not completely important to me.

I'm not sure which hub adapter I need. I looked on Ebay and there are loads of them. If I could beg you for one more bit of information I promise not to bother you again.

Kind regards,

Richard.
Attached Thumbnails A8/S8 Wheels-screen-shot-2017-01-24-6.47.19-pm.png   A8/S8 Wheels-specifics.png  
Old 01-24-2017, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Here is an example of the hub centric rings: 4 Aluminum Hub Centric Rings 66.6 to 57.1mm | Hubcentric Ring 66.56 - 57 AUDI | eBay

This is simply the first one I found searching, so no more info than that about this specific product. They are generic in general, and are made in both plastic and aluminum. Some of those who have fitted them say use the aluminum since the plastic ones deform. The ad gives the key spec of how you are adapting from the newer 66+mm center hole spec to the older 57+mm spec. The bolt pattern remains the same across most modern Audi wheels. Key exception to avoid is first generation Q7 wheels that are in their own world of bolt patterns--which they gave up on for the new generation finally.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you once again for all the help. I've got it sorted now and the new wheels will be delivered next Monday. The installer will provide the hub adaptor now I've given them the correct dimensions.

Kind regards,

Richard