A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Bent rims question

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bent rims question

I know this doesn't have anything to do with Audi A4's but I trust a lot of the folks on this forum, so I figured I'd ask this here too.

I just sold a set of OEM BMW rims & tires on craigslist yesterday.

The buyer is coming back to me today saying two of the rims are bent. I ran those rims until I put my snows on in November, and never experienced anything that I would think was caused by bent rims, but I'm not sure what I'd be looking for honestly.

I travel at interstate highway speeds and I never noticed vibration, pulling, etc. What would the symptoms of bent rims be? Am I getting scammed?
Old 01-23-2017, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fnarq
I know this doesn't have anything to do with Audi A4's but I trust a lot of the folks on this forum, so I figured I'd ask this here too.

I just sold a set of OEM BMW rims & tires on craigslist yesterday.

The buyer is coming back to me today saying two of the rims are bent. I ran those rims until I put my snows on in November, and never experienced anything that I would think was caused by bent rims, but I'm not sure what I'd be looking for honestly.

I travel at interstate highway speeds and I never noticed vibration, pulling, etc. What would the symptoms of bent rims be? Am I getting scammed?
The first thing would be vibration.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by salvadorsantana
The first thing would be vibration.
So, if I was running on bent rims, would it be safe to say that at 85+mph, it would be impossible for me to not know something was wrong?
Old 01-23-2017, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

it depends how bad the damage is. One can put a wheel on a balancing machine and see very quickly if there is even the slightest damage. It's very apparent.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

How bad could they possible be bent that I wouldn't notice anything weird at hightway speeds?
Old 01-23-2017, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

This is a tough situation. Typically, if you have one bent wheel, you will definitely notice it vibrating annoyingly after a certain speed. However, the buyer said there were two bent rims. This could essentially create an effect that you wouldnt notice because you would be thinking the car is driving correctly and the vibrations equal or cancel each other out.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Factory wheels are normally pretty stout.

Maybe a tire issue? I would ask how he came to the conclusion they are bent. Did a shop check the runout?

Probably easiest just to refund and sell elsewhere.

Last edited by marklar182; 01-23-2017 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HyperS4
This is a tough situation. Typically, if you have one bent wheel, you will definitely notice it vibrating annoyingly after a certain speed. However, the buyer said there were two bent rims. This could essentially create an effect that you wouldnt notice because you would be thinking the car is driving correctly and the vibrations equal or cancel each other out.
Really? Wouldn't that be a small miracle to have two bent rims, bent in such a way that they perfectly offset?
Old 01-23-2017, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by fnarq
Really? Wouldn't that be a small miracle to have two bent rims, bent in such a way that they perfectly offset?
Why don't you just ask him to send you photos of the bent. And did you sell only rims or both rims and tyres?
And honestly. I once had a bent rim long ago and I had no idea it was bent till I was washing my car one day and found one of the lips had a bent. No vibrations. Nothing.
Funny thing was. I wasn't into cars much back then and one of my uncles asked me to leave it and it might correct itself. Trust me. I checked after a few months and couldn't find it (I know it was bent and I wasn't hallucinating since I showed it to him). I went over all four rims thinking I might have checked the wrong rim but no. Couldn't find it. Btw, this uncle used to work in a tyre shop long back.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
Why don't you just ask him to send you photos of the bent. And did you sell only rims or both rims and tyres?
And honestly. I once had a bent rim long ago and I had no idea it was bent till I was washing my car one day and found one of the lips had a bent. No vibrations. Nothing.
Funny thing was. I wasn't into cars much back then and one of my uncles asked me to leave it and it might correct itself. Trust me. I checked after a few months and couldn't find it (I know it was bent and I wasn't hallucinating since I showed it to him). I went over all four rims thinking I might have checked the wrong rim but no. Couldn't find it. Btw, this uncle used to work in a tyre shop long back.
Good idea. I sold 4 rims with tires... rears were worn & needed replacing.

Quick Reply: Bent rims question