Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Need Help!!! 2011 S5 4.2L V8

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help!!! 2011 S5 4.2L V8

Hey "audi bro's" this is the first time i've ever joined a car forum, even though i've owned a lot of cars. I have to say my 2011 V8 4.2L S5 is perfection. Here's my dilemma. Pretty much been driving on the brakes and rotors for way too long. Now have to replace everything. Looking for a affordable but quality replacement for all four pads and rotors. Been online, see several options but just not sure. Not really a car tech guy. Would appreciate all the help. I'm not worried about the labor more the parts. Is it worth paying audi for OEM parts??? are the aftermarket made well??? Any insight is well appreciated.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default You pretty much can't go wrong on Brembo rotors

Originally Posted by rsoumekh
Hey "audi bro's" this is the first time i've ever joined a car forum, even though i've owned a lot of cars. I have to say my 2011 V8 4.2L S5 is perfection. Here's my dilemma. Pretty much been driving on the brakes and rotors for way too long. Now have to replace everything. Looking for a affordable but quality replacement for all four pads and rotors. Been online, see several options but just not sure. Not really a car tech guy. Would appreciate all the help. I'm not worried about the labor more the parts. Is it worth paying audi for OEM parts??? are the aftermarket made well??? Any insight is well appreciated.
Pads are often a matter of choice, OEM is ok/good but dusty, Hawk HPS works for me, I tried HP+ but didn't notice any better bite or lack of fade for normal (?!) street use, haven't tried CoolCarbon or any of the ceramic mix pads, I cannot recommend stuff like MetalMaster although I used them 20-10 years ago on Volvos and Saabs...the MetalMaster pads can be a little slippery when cold but they sure don't fade but they don't have much initial bite either.

If you don't have any strong leanings one way or another I would recommend just getting Audi OEM parts. They always fit right the first time and you get something you know. Search around for best price.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Brakes and rotors

im looking for something affordable and reliable, also what online store site or distributor. I can always go oem but sure there's a similar but affordable option
Old 01-25-2017, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Frankford, Ontario, Canada. 08 R8TT, 08 A5, 90 TT 300ZX, Ducati TT2
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be in your best interest to make yourself aware of what's available out there as far as oem alternatives. Most oem alternatives would probably be cheaper which (if I'm reading between the lines correctly here) is the over riding factor in this quest.
There are good after market rotors out there that are cheaper then oem. And when I say oem, I'm assuming you're referring to what a dealer chargers for brake parts?
There's good after market pads out there as well. I kind of lean towards the EBC line of pads. Specifically EBC Redstuff.
If you don't have a non dealership go-to shop that services Audi, then now is the time to find yourself one. Finding one now that you feel comfortable with will make any future servicing costs/worries much easier to contend with.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

If you like OEM you would like Centric Posi Quiet Semi Metallic and their Centric Premium Black rotors. I have them on our Q7 and they are very high quality and perform = or better than OEM.

BRAKE FRICTION - Centric Parts

CENTRIC PREMIUM BRAKE ROTORS - Centric Parts

I'm sure there are others but these won't disappoint.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

A related question - is it mandatory to glue the pad to the caliper, and if so, what glue should be used?

Also, what, if any, anti-squeal compound do people recommend?
Old 02-03-2017, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

I have NEVER glued a pad to a caliper. Porsches do use a self adhesive noise shim. I reused those. A bit of high emp brake grease smeared on the backing plate is supposed to reduce noise. Can't hurt. ( But don't use too much)

Last edited by J. Patterson; 02-03-2017 at 08:04 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's not glue. It's a gel that sets in 10 min or so.

Originally Posted by Frogfoot
A related question - is it mandatory to glue the pad to the caliper, and if so, what glue should be used?

Also, what, if any, anti-squeal compound do people recommend?
I use a tube of stuff from CRC IIRC. It won't glue the pad to the piston or the caliper of a floating caliper.

http://www.crcindustries.com/ei/prod....aspx?id=05016

Last edited by SloopJohnB@mac.com; 02-03-2017 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-04-2017, 05:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you! I am asking, because I just replaced the factory front brakes and pads on my S5. PAGIC rotors and pads. The original pads were glued pretty well. I did not use any glue or compound.

I love the brakes feel, but there is small amount of squeal - irregular and fairly easy to control, but still annoying.

I have that CRC stuff, so i will remove the pads and apply it.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It may take 45 minutes to cure.

Originally Posted by Frogfoot
Thank you! I am asking, because I just replaced the factory front brakes and pads on my S5. PAGIC rotors and pads. The original pads were glued pretty well. I did not use any glue or compound.

I love the brakes feel, but there is small amount of squeal - irregular and fairly easy to control, but still annoying.

I have that CRC stuff, so i will remove the pads and apply it.
Sometimes more. But you can usually use it after 20 minutes. By that I mean you can usually install the pads 20 min after applying disc brake quiet. You can use the pads/brake as soon as you finish the job.

Last edited by SloopJohnB@mac.com; 02-04-2017 at 07:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Need Help!!! 2011 S5 4.2L V8