A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

B9 A4 in -38f :D

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 12:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default B9 A4 in -38f :D

So I drove from Anchorage, AK to Fairbanks, AK and back this weekend. Left on a Thursday morning and returned late Saturday/Early Sunday.

In anycase, I initially wanted to drive our 2016 Volvo XC90 simply because snow was in the forecast and it's got much more ground clearance. In the end, I decided to take the A4 because temps were forecast to be in the -40's (f) ( They actually hit -50f the morning I left Anchorage) and I realized the XC90 did not come with a block heater.........(don't even get me started on this ridiculousness......).

In anycase, the A4 handled the 720 mile round trip drive like a champ. Started with zero problems in -30f (although it was plugged in ) and handled the road conditions great. (12" of snow the night we drove back from Fairbanks to Anchorage, not to mention we saw at least a dozen moose alongside the road on the last 150 miles, and if we saw a dozen, there were easily twice that but the headlights were excellent for the conditions)

I didn't get a very good pic of -40f because I was drivng and it turned out blurry, so the best I can do is a pic just outside Fairbanks with -38f. MPG's weren't great, but it's essentially all uphill from Anchorage to Fairbanks. 100ft up to 500ft with a 2200ft pass in the middle. I averaged pretty much what's in the pic on the way up and just under 27mpg's on the way back to Anchorage a couple days later. Not great, but start/stop doesn't work when it's really cold out and I had the transmission in sport mode a lot while driving in both directions.

**Almost forgot, during the drive up, I never shut the car off due to the cold temps. I left it running with the key in my pocket when I ran into the gas station to use the bathroom and when I came back, I got the start/stop disabled notification everyone seems to be getting with the racechip/chipwerks chips. I have both these chips, but they are still new in the box and have never been installed on my car. Not sure if this helps anyone or is just a coincidence, but figured I'd post it. Start/Stop didn't work at all for the drive up and back, but it's been working fine since I got back although the temperature has been in the teens for the past couple days.
Attached Thumbnails B9 A4 in -38f :D-img_20170119_155145.jpg  

Last edited by acruxksa; 01-24-2017 at 12:13 AM.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by acruxksa
So I drove from Anchorage, AK to Fairbanks, AK and back this weekend. Left on a Thursday morning and returned late Saturday/Early Sunday.

In anycase, I initially wanted to drive our 2016 Volvo XC90 simply because snow was in the forecast and it's got much more ground clearance. In the end, I decided to take the A4 because temps were forecast to be in the -40's (f) ( They actually hit -50f the morning I left Anchorage) and I realized the XC90 did not come with a block heater.........(don't even get me started on this ridiculousness......).

In anycase, the A4 handled the 720 mile round trip drive like a champ. Started with zero problems in -30f (although it was plugged in ) and handled the road conditions great. (12" of snow the night we drove back from Fairbanks to Anchorage, not to mention we saw at least a dozen moose alongside the road on the last 150 miles, and if we saw a dozen, there were easily twice that but the headlights were excellent for the conditions)

I didn't get a very good pic of -40f because I was drivng and it turned out blurry, so the best I can do is a pic just outside Fairbanks with -38f. MPG's weren't great, but it's essentially all uphill from Anchorage to Fairbanks. 100ft up to 500ft with a 2200ft pass in the middle. I averaged pretty much what's in the pic on the way up and just under 27mpg's on the way back to Anchorage a couple days later. Not great, but start/stop doesn't work when it's really cold out and I had the transmission in sport mode a lot while driving in both directions.

**Almost forgot, during the drive up, I never shut the car off due to the cold temps. I left it running with the key in my pocket when I ran into the gas station to use the bathroom and when I came back, I got the start/stop disabled notification everyone seems to be getting with the racechip/chipwerks chips. I have both these chips, but they are still new in the box and have never been installed on my car. Not sure if this helps anyone or is just a coincidence, but figured I'd post it. Start/Stop didn't work at all for the drive up and back, but it's been working fine since I got back although the temperature has been in the teens for the past couple days.
Nice story, thanks for sharing. Curious, I'm guessing you had snow tires on? A4 has a block heater?
Old 01-24-2017, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't know the A4 had a block heater!!!
Old 01-24-2017, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have a block heater on mine at the moment, we did have a few days of mninu 40 and the car started fine without any hesitations. Not sure why but my dealer did not want to install a block heater when I requested it.

Now, I am in the city so less stress if the car had problems on a cold day but would definitely look into one if I was living outside town.

The key is using synthetic oil which is required on the A4. I certainly agree with the OP, the A4 B9 is a fantastic car in cold weather and with snow.

The one thing I noticed at -40 is the speakers sound terrible until the cabin warms up. But hey, that's only a small temporarily thing.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Block heater

Also interest about the block since my dealer explicitly told I could not have a block heater.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

On my VW, I really wanted a block heater and I requested it from the dealership... but they said it was impossible to do it (or something). My only option was to have a oil pan heater instead.

Maybe they're not even designed to have a block heater installed? I don't know.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Damn!!!! -40F????? I can't stand 0F, forget -40!!!

Good to hear that the A4 is a little champ. And what is a block heater by the way?

And yes. Regarding start stop malfunction warning. I'm guessing it's because of the low temperatures? I haven't gotten it after Racechip updated the software but it looks like they had to castrate it (not my words) to get rid of the error (I've mailed Racechip about it and they said they will push me a new software and to check it out).
Old 01-27-2017, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

We hit -35C (yes, Celsius) a few weeks ago and I'd have to start my 17 A4 after about 8 hours outside (office). Even without a block heater it turned over nicely despite a bit of high pitched turbo whine for a few seconds. 30 seconds later it was humming nicely.

But thank god for the heated seats. Heated steering wheel is nice but it just takes to long to warm up at those temps, gloves have to stay on.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
Damn!!!! -40F????? I can't stand 0F, forget -40!!!

Good to hear that the A4 is a little champ. And what is a block heater by the way?

And yes. Regarding start stop malfunction warning. I'm guessing it's because of the low temperatures? I haven't gotten it after Racechip updated the software but it looks like they had to castrate it (not my words) to get rid of the error (I've mailed Racechip about it and they said they will push me a new software and to check it out).

Old 01-27-2017, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Strife1013
Oh cool. So does the A4 have one or not? Or did he add one by himself?

Quick Reply: B9 A4 in -38f :D