TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

KBB Value -- What happened??

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 02:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KBB Value -- What happened??

I bought my 2005 TT Roadster (225) last year, 68k miles, perfect condition with service records, for $11k. I figured that it was a good deal because KBB valued it at about $12-13k for private party sale. This was last April (2016). While I was looking around back then there were at least a handful of similar TT roadsters in great condition selling for >$10k.

I just checked KBB value, less than a year later, and it seems to have PLUMMETED to $6721. Sure, I've put 10 000 miles on it in the last 10 months, but its sale value seems to have pretty much halved?? Is this normal? In looking at used TT on autotrader and craigslist, this drop in value is clear with the most expensive 1st gen I could find (similar to mine) coming in at about $8k. I'm pretty confused and upset O_O

EDIT: For comparison, NADA is giving me a clean retail value of $14,175, and Edmunds says $9,356 for private sale. That's a pretty crazy spread, no? Is one more relevant than the other??

Last edited by ThomBoh; 02-03-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Plan to lose at least half on any used car "deal".
Old 02-03-2017, 04:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Right, I'm aware that used cars are depreciating assets and you're always going to lose money on them.

But I looked at KBBs for all of the other cars I was considering at the time I bought the TT (2005 350Z etc) and their KBB values seemed to hold up fine, dropped by about a thousand, around a 15% decrease in value over the year. Whereas the TT's KBB dropped by more than $5000, with a decrease in value on the order of 50% over a time period of less than a year. Even brand new cars don't depreciate at that rate in the first year. What's more is that the NADA and Edmunds values seem to have held up fine, and only the KBB value plummeted. Is that not strange/unexpected?

Last edited by ThomBoh; 02-03-2017 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-04-2017, 02:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Eventually, between years 11 & 12, the value of a convertible version of a TT plummets. According to KBB that is. What does one of the other guides say? I'd stop by an Audi dealer and talk about it with a used car guru there. You've got nothing more to lose.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:13 AM
Breaking cars for fun.

This time of year the market is bad for all roadsters. Could it be a seasonal drop?
Old 02-19-2017, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Two years ago I gave $7200 for an '01 quattro roadster with the baseball interior and 91,000 miles. I love my car and plan to drive it until the wheels fall off, then glue them back on, and drive some more. The only way its book value has any meaning is if it gets totaled and i get an insurance payout. Even then the payout will be comparable to what I can replace it with.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tend to agree with a lot of what's been said here. But especially with the seasonal timing.

KBB is supposed to reflect 'current' sales. Check again in April of this year and see if your TT is magically worth more.

I just bought my first TT, a 2001 with 52k miles, and also hope to drive it til the wheels fall off.

Paid $9,999 for the car and another $3,500 for a full service contract til 100,000 miles or 4 years.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

This IS odd. I had casually watched a 2001 Roadster with 52000 miles back in Jan. It was priced at $9800 and as I remember that was below KBB and NADA retail. I looked yesterday and it has been reduced to $7800. Now NADA lists $7800 as clean retail. Value dropped 20% in one month! I'm glad I didn't buy it!
Old 02-27-2017, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just my opinion, but for whatever reason, these cars are cheap, cheap, cheap, however, and it's just my opinion, there one of the greatest cars to drive. Im pushing 70 years old and I've driven a lot of cars, and I own a few "high dollar " cars, but this Audi TT pricing blows me away. When the car is cleaned up nice and you walk up to it, it looks like an $80K car. Maybe it,s just me. But I think there the best-kept secret regarding great sports cars. You put a set of pipes on it, chip it, a couple other minor mods, and the car turns heads. I have younger ladies constantly rolling their window down to say "nice life". So I wouldn't worry too much about the pricing and devaluation. If you enjoy the car, and I'm assuming you do, just drive it and have fun. its worth the ride if the value dropped to $500 tomorrow. Just my opinion. KBB can stick it up their..........
Old 02-28-2017, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by jjt1234
Just my opinion, but for whatever reason, these cars are cheap, cheap, cheap, however, and it's just my opinion, there one of the greatest cars to drive. Im pushing 70 years old and I've driven a lot of cars, and I own a few "high dollar " cars, but this Audi TT pricing blows me away. When the car is cleaned up nice and you walk up to it, it looks like an $80K car. Maybe it,s just me. But I think there the best-kept secret regarding great sports cars. You put a set of pipes on it, chip it, a couple other minor mods, and the car turns heads. I have younger ladies constantly rolling their window down to say "nice life". So I wouldn't worry too much about the pricing and devaluation. If you enjoy the car, and I'm assuming you do, just drive it and have fun. its worth the ride if the value dropped to $500 tomorrow. Just my opinion. KBB can stick it up their..........
Can't argue that. I have a nearly new S5 and had a Cayman S before it but there is still something special about my 16 year old TT coupe.

Quick Reply: KBB Value -- What happened??