A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

Just asking - thoughts on mud flaps and tow hitch?

Old 02-11-2017, 02:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Just asking - thoughts on mud flaps and tow hitch?

Any thoughts on mud flaps for some protection against picking up some small chips and such? Ok, I know that some people would want to have a tow hitch............well for towing. Why isn't this an option? Engine just not powerful enough? Ok, city drivers, anyone ever entertained the thought of adding that hitch just to protect the rear bumper?
Old 02-11-2017, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

If you do find what the part #s for those mud flaps are, that'd be great. I'll be making a visit to the UK in march and picking up a set if we can't get them here. [edit, found part #s 8W9075111 and 8W9075101]

Not sure how useful the hitch would be without a step bar or something of the sort. I used to street park my A3 and Golf in the city all the time and no one has ever dinged the bumper. I'm more concerned about them breaking window glass.

Last edited by breadbooze; 02-11-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
Any thoughts on mud flaps for some protection against picking up some small chips and such? Ok, I know that some people would want to have a tow hitch............well for towing. Why isn't this an option? Engine just not powerful enough? Ok, city drivers, anyone ever entertained the thought of adding that hitch just to protect the rear bumper?
It's not an option because Audi US decided we are not worthy. There is a tow hitch option available in other parts of the world, and our US cars owners manual covers towing, but Audi doesn't give us the option to buy/order the hitch. While we will likely be able to add an aftermarket hitch, the lack of a factory option means that the nice towing features they get in Europe with the MMI towing integration will not be available to us. For example, backing up the trailer using the MMI **** to steer.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by CoMeader
It's not an option because Audi US decided we are not worthy. There is a tow hitch option available in other parts of the world, and our US cars owners manual covers towing, but Audi doesn't give us the option to buy/order the hitch. While we will likely be able to add an aftermarket hitch, the lack of a factory option means that the nice towing features they get in Europe with the MMI towing integration will not be available to us. For example, backing up the trailer using the MMI **** to steer.
What do you imagine the real reason is there is no OE hitch for the Allroad?
Old 02-11-2017, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Mud flaps

I am getting mud flaps or splash guards as they are listed in the accessories. I think they do a good job of added protection and like the look.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by rrwood
I am getting mud flaps or splash guards as they are listed in the accessories. I think they do a good job of added protection and like the look.
I like the look also - as well as the look of the Porsche in your Avatar.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default 1980 911SC 3.6

Thank you. She's a fun old girl.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

What do you imagine the real reason is there is no OE hitch for the Allroad?
I suspect some of the sales folks that hang out with us here could probably give a more rational explanation than I. I know that Audi US has limited the features we get across the model line, but the lack of a hitch on the Allroad is one of the ones I find most perplexing. Audi positions the Allroad as an active-lifestyle/adventure car, and for many folks that includes a trailer hitch for hauling jet skis, small camping trailers, or at least a bike rack. Yet Audi removed the option for US vehicles to have an OEM hitch.

While I don't know why Audi decided not to offer us a hitch, below are some of my guesses (totally unsubstantiated):
  1. The trailer related ESC and trailer assist functionality might be incompatible with the changes made to the MMI and other systems for the US market.
  2. The hitch might have reduced the crash test ratings in the US.
  3. The US market might have required a different hitch, and Audi didn't think the number of people who would order the hitch in the US justified the costs of development.
  4. There might not have been a way to make this a dealer installed option, as it was with previous Allroads before being discontinued a few years ago, and Audi decided to keep the number of permutations down to increase the number of cars sold out of inventory.
  5. Audi marketing just blew the call on what features to include or exclude and we'll see the hitch brought to the US in future model years.

Below is the link to a cool Audi video showing how the trailer-assist functionality works where available:
https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/...assistant-3092
Old 02-13-2017, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by CoMeader
Yet Audi removed the option for US vehicles to have an OEM hitch.
Yet there are three pages about trailers in the North America Owner's Manual, starting p96.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Took delivery of my allroad today. Xpel tomorrow and mud flaps on Thursday. I'll post a pic of the mud flaps when done.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just asking - thoughts on mud flaps and tow hitch?