Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Potential new buyer with lots of questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential new buyer with lots of questions

Hi all,

I have been searching for a 3row SUV and I started with the XC90, I do like the exterior styling and interior. However, reading Volvo forum and the issues owners were/are having is keeping me away from it, plus the 4 cyl engine. I am not being able to get past that.

I initially did not consider the Q7, as I thought it was more expensive and having had a bad Audi dealer experience in the past, didn't just want to consider an Audi.

So I started looking at the MDX as well, but it is more of a premium rather than luxury and the interior to me feels very dated. The top end trim is close to $57,000 at which point I may as well pay a little more and get a Q7.

I also looked at the GL450 however, a CPO, since new GLS450 with the options i want would easily go over $80k and I don't want to spend that much money. So 2-3 year old CPO makes more sense, however after test driving it, It felt very big, which I am sure I will get used to, but I also feel like I will feel the size every time I park or drive around town and in traffic.

The last few days I have been watching you tube reviews of the Q7 and its growing on me, I haven't test driven it yet, so my question is for those who test drove the XC90 and the Q7, was there a significant different in ride quality, the nimbleness, handling, quietness and practicality. Is the 3rd row usable for an adult for short drive around town?

The XC90 has a lot of issues, what kind of issue are the Q7 owners seeing if any?
can you fit 2 cars seats and still be able to access the 3rd row?

What kind of fuel economy are you getting and which trim and options give is the sweet spot?

My dealer in Wilmington, DE in the past was not great to deal with, so I can go to PA or NJ or MD to get the car, any recommendation of a good dealer and SA who is easy to work with?

Did most of you lease? looks like leasing is not so great at this time?
Do they do MSD?
What % discount should I look for?

Any comments or suggestion would be helpful
Old 02-17-2017, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Sending a PM
Old 02-17-2017, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a similar experience as I had ordered a jaguar f-pace. didn't need a 3rd row but the jag forum is filled with issues with the f pace and that steered me away. I cancelled my order and ordered a q7 from SYMAWD who is in Cherry Hill, NJ as I didn't have a great experience with my local dealer either. The fit and finish and ride quality are better than the fpace, and the interior is a very nice place to be. Plenty of other forum members have bought cars from him and I recommend him too. I'm sure others can pitch in with comparisons to the Volvo.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Do you guys recommend Premium Plus and then adding options or is the Prestige Trim a better value?

I am also not sure about the color, can't decide between Black, white or Ink blue?
Old 02-17-2017, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Prestige is the better value but that may have changed recently as the warm weather package has changed prices and options. Best to build out both trims on the configurator and see. Prestige comes standard with a lot of common options like warm weather and boss stereo, with the added perk of having a HUD and fancy lighting you can't get on Prem+
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sid369
Hi all,
The last few days I have been watching you tube reviews of the Q7 and its growing on me, I haven't test driven it yet, so my question is for those who test drove the XC90 and the Q7, was there a significant different in ride quality, the nimbleness, handling, quietness and practicality. Is the 3rd row usable for an adult for short drive around town?
I test drove both several times. To me, Q7 was clearly more agile and fun to drive. This was my top reason to pick the Q7 over the XC90. But you need to try it yourself to decide.

The XC90 has a lot of issues, what kind of issue are the Q7 owners seeing if any?
I haven't had any issues (besides a deer that decided to jump in front of me)

can you fit 2 cars seats and still be able to access the 3rd row?
Yes. I have two car seats in the second row (forward facing behind the driver and rear facing in the middle). It's snug but I can fold down the passenger side 2nd row seat to get to 3rd. The 2nd row is fairly wide and an adult can comfortable sit in the 2nd row with the two car seats.
This is by far the most flexible car setup for car seats I saw. There's anchors and space for car seats in all 5 rear seats. the second row also slides to give more room for the second row if you don't need the 3rd row. anchors are very easy to get to in the second row (haven't tried the 3rd).
When you test drive it, take your car seats and install them to see how it works for you. My dealer had no issue with it.

There's tons of threads on your other questions if you search around.

Good luck!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are leasing you will get better residuals on P+ than prestige. I am buying mine so I went prestige.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Do you guys recommend Premium Plus and then adding options or is the Prestige Trim a better value?

I am also not sure about the color, can't decide between Black, white or Ink blue?

Just go for the prestige, the cost adder is only about $200 bucks with all the options plus more.

Black for me...biased of course. Be prepared for the cleaning maintenance thought
Old 02-17-2017, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a PremPlus Q7 with a 3 year old in the passenger side and my 5 year old in the middle. Access to the 3rd row is without obstruction with both kids' seats.

My driving is how you say "dynamic" all the time and I get around 350miles/tank @ $50/fillup.

I haven't driven the xc90, but from everywhere I read, its cabin is more spacious in the 3rd row. It seems people are split on the quality of the interior for a luxury car as well. I sat in one and thought the interior is very nice, especially their Inscription model.

In the end, after owning mine for a little over a year, I still love it. A couple of recalls for minor things, but overall no issues.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

So looks like for leasing the Premium Plus is better, but cost wise the Prestige gives you more for the price than adding option to Premium Plus would give.

Also, what is the release cycle, when did 2017 come out and when will the 2018 be coming out, I can wait if it come out in a few months.

Last edited by sid369; 02-18-2017 at 04:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Potential new buyer with lots of questions