Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Screws on Number Plate Stuck !!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Screws on Number Plate Stuck !!

We recently took procession of our CPO 2017 Q7 two weeks ago. When changing the dealers plates to our plates at the town hall, we had difficulty removing both the front and back plates. The problem is that a couple of the screw on both plates, don't come out easily, and just keep spinning. I was able to look behind the plate and found that the anchor rotates when attempting to unscrew, and that's why it doesn't get loose. We managed a temporary fix with our new plates, but need to get both front and back anchors housed on a blank base plate fixed soon.

It's not clear if this issue would be covered with the current factory warranty ?.

One dealer (not the one we purchased from ), told us it is not covered by the warranty. We plan to speak with the dealership we purchased from, but may get the same response .

Any suggestions, how we might pursue this issue.

Thanks.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take it to an Audi dealer, they should fix it with no issue. I will say that the nuts they use on the plate holder sucks, I had issues with all 3 of my Audi's, same issue as you, 16 A6, 17 A4 and 17 Q7.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where in NH are you? Had a house in Tuftonboro and before that vacationed on Lake Winni for many years.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Have the same problem with Q7 and A6. I fix it with a little help from my hot glue gun. Now the nut doesn't spin round and round. Make sure you have the bolt in when applying the glue, then remove it when the glue cools and sets.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
Take it to an Audi dealer, they should fix it with no issue. I will say that the nuts they use on the plate holder sucks, I had issues with all 3 of my Audi's, same issue as you, 16 A6, 17 A4 and 17 Q7.
Thanks. appreciate your suggestion.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
Where in NH are you? Had a house in Tuftonboro and before that vacationed on Lake Winni for many years.
We are in Amherst, in the Southern part of the state. Wish we could find something to NH to be nearer our family in NJ.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Nedstand
Have the same problem with Q7 and A6. I fix it with a little help from my hot glue gun. Now the nut doesn't spin round and round. Make sure you have the bolt in when applying the glue, then remove it when the glue cools and sets.
That's a creative suggestion and I can see how that would work nicely. Though I think Audi ought to fix it the proper way first.

Thanks
Old 02-18-2017, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by cammot
That's a creative suggestion and I can see how that would work nicely. Though I think Audi ought to fix it the proper way first.

Thanks
Better design in the first place! For all the great design going into these vehicles, it strikes me as odd that is how they designed the plate holders.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the same issue.

Dealer had to replace entire rear plate bracket. Warranty repair.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Only pic I have, but they should just start using the TT style bracket on everything. Pretty much unbreakable.

Quick Reply: Screws on Number Plate Stuck !!