A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty 2015 S8

Old 02-18-2017, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranty 2015 S8

2015 S8 owner here with 47k miles. What are my options for extended warranty? Any advice? I love this car, and plan to drive it as long as i can. Thanks
Old 02-18-2017, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Extended warranty through your Audi dealer is your best option.

Originally Posted by S8S8
2015 S8 owner here with 47k miles. What are my options for extended warranty? Any advice? I love this car, and plan to drive it as long as i can. Thanks
Old 02-18-2017, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Not a lot of people are fans of those, most, including myself, recommend putting away some money for surprises instead. Make sure you go through the contract from first to last page, the exemptions can be surprisingly wide spread.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Jack88
Not a lot of people are fans of those, most, including myself, recommend putting away some money for surprises instead. Make sure you go through the contract from first to last page, the exemptions can be surprisingly wide spread.
A good top tier warranty that a dealer is familiar with will be as good as a CPO in my experience. That goes for Audi, BMW, MB and Porsche. I had extended warranties on all of these brands and with a right coverage exemptions are not an issue. All of my warranties paid for themselves within 1 to 2 years. I would never self insure an aging $100+K car. I had the extended warranties rebuild my engines, replace large tranny and diff components, service numerous air suspension issues, fix tons of leaks and the damage those leaks caused to other electrical components. At times the dealer is more willing to identify and fix the issue with extended warranty than under factory or CPO because a third party is paying for it. The relationship that the dealer (service department) has with the warranty company is paramount to getting the claim authorized, filed, and paid properly. At times the warranty company will send out an estimator to look at a large repair order, but with around dozen or so times that happened none of my claims were ever denied.

Another thing is when you have the warranty you will probably examine for and fix ALL issues that caused the problem, when you self insure it seems like you'rel looking to fix the ONE thing that is broken at that time ignoring the rest of the soon to come problems. Just about every time I went in for warranty work I came out with thousands in parts and labor it took to repair everything. My extended warranty paid $30-40K to keep my '04 Lorinser S600 V12TT running until it hit 90K miles after 9 years of ownership. When I sold that car it ran like new with a rebuilt/replaced engine/transmission/suspension and without a single faulty component.

Last edited by DirtyVegasTT; 02-19-2017 at 08:42 AM.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

If not a deep DIY'er, I'm probably closer to where Drty Vegas is. And even as such a DiY'er, worth evaluating. On this board, I can tell you reading these posts, most owners are not in moderate to deep DIY'er club. They are on the D3 board in many cases now. That shift in owner profiles is occurring here, but it will take another 3-5 years to really show. Watched in many generations of Audis now I have owned, esp. in the interval from 5-10 years. Some provisos or add ons meantime:

1. To get your money's worth out of these--or the factory 4/50 or CPO for that matter--you really need to go over car and be proactive. As he says, I typically get many thousands of dollars of incremental work covered that way. And, then it is proactive in a lot of cases (first sign of a leak, a code, etc.), rather than a year or two later when it breaks outright, pisses on my garage floor, and/or turns into a dashboard light show. If you only use it when the tow truck comes, much less obvious it pencils out. Doing this essentially front loads later quasi maintenance that would be on owner's dime onto the warranty too; sort of implicit in Dirty Vegas' report/longer term experience.

2. Make sure you know difference between exlusionary and non-exclusionary. Exclusionary means it is generally covered unless it is on an excluded list. The non-exclusionary ones means it is covered only if it is on an included list, which itself is often populated by a lot of stuff that looks good for a long list but seldom breaks anyway. Assuming exclusionary, you need to read those excluded items very carefully against how car is equipped (and any knowledge gleaned on board s like these of problem areas to watch) and also the wear and tear definition. Watch electronics exclusions too--Nav, MMI, stereo, etc. In warranty speak, the exclusionary ones tend to be the ones titled things like "Platinum" or at lowest, "Gold."

3. If you have an existing service advisor at dealer, talk to him/her. Relative to my D3 W12 experience, he was actually the overall service manager and had been there a long time. They often sell this stuff (and probably get commissioned on it), but for less than at least "retail" in the finance dept when you buy car. They are the front line folks who deal with the claims later too, and presumably won't suggest something with a history of non coverage, disputes and frustrated owners they need to deal with constantly.

4. FWIW on my D3 W12, at and of CPO I talked to my service advisor at length. The policies they sold were the most common typical ones from Fidelity underneath. Then as DirtyVargas said, they had a practical working relationship with them and know in and outs of coverage. I ticked off with him all the work done over the years on W12 to see if it would have been covered or not--control arms, various trim (never covered basically), torque motor mount, valve cover gaskets, radiator replace, and 20 other things. Also asked about air suspension even with no issues as of then, but often discussed on D3 board. My mileage was too high though for the exclusionary ones--which likely cuts off at around 75K when first purchased. Sort of as expected, too many cases where because all I could buy was non exclusionary and with wear and tear exceptions, it didn't clearly compute. But, I sort of also kicked myself that I didn't ask about 5,000 miles earlier (sub 75K). Even though I can DIY most anything, for the $$$ involved--and more $$$ than the $$ non-exclusionary ones that didn't pencil--I would have done fine (or better) with the right exclusionary policy against their working experience of what would be covered (or not). On preceding 2000 Audi A6 4.2, of all things I had a GM branded exclusionary policy from when I bought it new. Same dealer used to sell Caddy's, Audi's Porsches under one roof--what a weird mix!. That one pencilled out too and given the dealership history the service dep't knew the policy. BTW it covered wear and tear debatable type stuff like upper control arms and sway bar links, another nuance the higher end policies may distinguish themselves on as part of the exclusionary/non-exclusionary basic division.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-19-2017 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Fidelity denied my claims, what few I made. Ended up costing me $600 to make those repairs, so I sold back the warranty. That's why I emphasize going over the contract with a fine tooth comb. That was it over 2 1/2 years, so still quite cheap. I wish my Mercedes had a warranty, I've spent $3000 doing what would be $15k in work at the dealer, according to WIS. The Audi was a far more reliable car than the Merc, sounds like the same for you TT.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack88
Fidelity denied my claims, what few I made. Ended up costing me $600 to make those repairs, so I sold back the warranty. That's why I emphasize going over the contract with a fine tooth comb. That was it over 2 1/2 years, so still quite cheap. I wish my Mercedes had a warranty, I've spent $3000 doing what would be $15k in work at the dealer, according to WIS. The Audi was a far more reliable car than the Merc, sounds like the same for you TT.
Exclusionary Fidelity flavor, or not? Per my post below, dealer offered both types and of course at different price point. Coverage (non-coverage) results clearly varied when I pasred coverage specifics against my D3 history with knowledgable S.A.

And yes, my DIY work also pencils to probably somewhere between 1/5 and ⅓ of dealer service pricing, virtually always using dealer parts--though discounted probably 20% on average via audiusaparts online type approach I use. If I used an indy and stil quality parts, a guess is that might become 50-75%. A few things have been very $ intensive parts wise--4.2 intake manifold on 2000 4.2 (unobtainium via eBay since the Rube Goldberg design breaks eventually for many), and the D3 (or D4) air struts most notably. On W12, dealer said they put over 20 hours into my final CPO hurrah, including well over a day getting out the torque mount. Glad I missed that particular exercise, and glad D4 S8 is CPO even post another few years on 4/50.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-19-2017 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

When I dealt with Fidelity it rebuilt the top of my V10 motor in my S6 that was damaged by carbon buildup. I had no issues with Fidelity, but I also had the top tier plan for my car and purchased it while still under factory warranty.

That said, I heard from my dealer that Audi no longer sells Fidelity and that Audi has its own extended warranty product now.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyVegasTT
When I dealt with Fidelity it rebuilt the top of my V10 motor in my S6 that was damaged by carbon buildup. I had no issues with Fidelity, but I also had the top tier plan for my car and purchased it while still under factory warranty.

That said, I heard from my dealer that Audi no longer sells Fidelity and that Audi has its own extended warranty product now.
I am considering purchasing a plan for my 2016 A8L and was told by Troy Dietrich, who sells them, that the Audi plans for 2017 are plans by Safe Guard.
From Troy: "The terms of the new plan are essentially the same as before (on vehicles up to 10,000 miles), but the new plan terms will be effective retroactively from the original in-service date and mile 0. Rather than additive from the current date and miles as they were with the previous program through Fidelity."
Old 02-19-2017, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DirtyVegasTT

I had the most comprehensive plan they offered. If you can't tell, I'm more than a little irritated about the hidden holes in coverage that I ran into. Reading the contract all the way to the last page would have prevented the surprise.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Extended Warranty 2015 S8