A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

New A6 C5 Avant owner - Vagcom?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 03:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New A6 C5 Avant owner - Vagcom?

Hi all

Just bought a 2005 Final Edition C5 yesterday as a runaround. Seems to be a very well made car and is my first foray into Audi ownership (excluding the other brands that they now own!!).

I keep seeing references made to 'plug into Vagcom' and the like and wondered what options are available to the DIYer? On my other car I have a USB interface which hooks up to my laptop and allows me to run diagnostic test etc (the car was made before OBDII, so it's a proprietary system).

Is there anything similarly budget-like for the A6? I need to get the aux-in enabled on the RNS-E along with a readout of parking sensor faults (they just emit a constant tone when I put the car into reverse).

I do have a standard OBDII reader, but I'm guessing that's no use for the above issues?

I'm in London btw. If anyone is able to do this I'm more than happy to offer some beer money.

Thanks
Old 02-20-2017, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Your obdII reader will pick up emissions related and maybe some others depending on how fancy it is. Rosstech VCDS, formerly vag-com, is the standard. It will tell you which parking sensors are acting up, for example. There are others coming on that do more than OBDII, probably not as comprehensive as VCDS, but cheaper.

You might get lucky and find someone nearby who will stop over with VCDS. If you plan on doing any of your own work, I would get VCDS. It's even a good idea to have it so you can steer your a shop in the right direction.

re RNSE aux in, try google.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks

Have just ordered a 2016 disc to ensure my software is up to date. Presumably I still need to have the option enabled with VCDS?

Will see if I can find anyone nearby with the Rosstech reader.

Thanks
Old 02-20-2017, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Other sources have diagnostic capabilities as well, but to varying degrees. Snap On, Mac Tools, Bosch, etc. Ross Tech seems to be the most comprehensive. The others often require you to purchase a model specific chip to run their system. (Mac Tools analyzer requires a special VAG chip to read all the systems, engine, ABS, etc for example.) The down side as I see it with Ross Tech is that it isn't compatable with Apple computers. I have all Mac stuff and can't afford to go buy a new computer just to run the diagnostics.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleyguy
I have all Mac stuff and can't afford to go buy a new computer just to run the diagnostics.
Heard of Virtual Machine?
Something like: Mac Virtualization for Everyone: VMware Fusion
Old 02-21-2017, 12:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sramos
Thanks

Have just ordered a 2016 disc to ensure my software is up to date. Presumably I still need to have the option enabled with VCDS?

Will see if I can find anyone nearby with the Rosstech reader.

Thanks
Do some research on "ROSS-TECH" and "VAG-COM". Short of original equipment at $tealer, this is as close as you can get.