A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Some A4 (Allroad) impressions

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Some A4 (Allroad) impressions

Excuse me for posting on 2 forums (A4 and Allroad) but they are similar enough for my impressions to (hopefully) be of value.

So, yesterday morning we are driving to Saugerties NY to visit my brother vis Garden State Pkwy and NYS Thruway. All in all about a hundred mile drive - 95 of which are the Pkwy and Thruway, thankfully.
Couple of thoughts.

When starting out I see a nice shiny A4 on my left - passing us by - but they were also checking out my Allroad. Well, one second later, I realize that they are also in a 2017 Allroad and I'm guessing checking out mine because 2017 Allroads are so relatively rare. Perhaps they were also checking out the Gotland Green, which I think may be a more unique color than their Brilliant or Mythos black. BTW, my 19 year old daughter doesn't like this color - says it looks like a pine tree. I do like Gotland, but a clean black car is more of a stunner. On another note, on my A4, I had no intention of putting a front plate on - unless I got a ticket, as the USA plates really destroys that clean front grill look. Front plates don't look bad on the Allroad though. And the other Allroad had NY plates which are sort of an orange color - which kind of compliments the black. I'm guessing the NY light yellow plates won't clash with the Gotland Green - I know, even silly to mention plate colors and cars.

After about 10 miles or so, my wife commented how this Allroad was more comfortable than my 2017 Allroad. I'm guessing a function of the larger tires, more weight and slightly different suspension. I would agree with her - especially going over less than perfect roads and potholes in NYC and NE NJ almost every day. Which was another reason I traded in for the Allroad. Oh, yeah - forgot to mention that the sport seats were very comfortable, though as I remember, not as comfortable as the seats on my Macan.

Traffic going there was light to sometimes moderate and I was using ACC for most of the entire ride and it was impressive - keeps up with traffic, maintains a set distance and slows down when needed - it's a safety feature as much as a convenience feature and would never consider getting a new car w/o it. We had 3 people in the car and the car had tons of pickup, was as quiet as I could ever expect and though glitchy at times, the sound (mostly) via Car Play was incredible. Once at my brother's I used a waterless car wash (Ultima) to clean her up and did notice that the coating I had gotten applied made cleanup incredibly fast. Took all of 15 minutes to finish. As noted many times Gotland Green looks different depending on the light and outdoors is a way more subdued and lighter green than showing in my indoor avatar. So, those considering GG, be aware.

On the ride home in the afternoon, the traffic was mostly moderate, never too heavy - averaging 65-75, but it did cross my mind even with ACC, Pre Sense and all the other safety features, that with all those cars on the road doing 65-80 and keeping mostly a distance of only a few car lengths between each other, it doesn't take much to go wrong for an accident to occur. Distance and diligence goes a long way in keeping you safe.

The windshield glass - I'm not sure how to describe it, but the windshield seemed to"disperse?" the light lights from oncoming cars, hindering vision. I will be claying, polishing and sealing the windshield later today in hopes that that will take care of that issue.

Finally. all things considered, I am not going out on a limb to say it, but Audi hit a home run and this 2017 A4 Allroad is the best car I ever leased/bought and I think the 2017 A4 sedan a close second.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spent three hours yesterday driving into Chicago and back out, much of it in heavy traffic. The dasboard says I averaged 33 mpg.

DAP really takes the stress out of congested roads. It has gone from being something I bought almost as a lark to one of my favorite features.

My windshield is crystal clear-- but that is because I thoroughly cleaned it inside and out on Saturday.

And you are right about Brilliant Black.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike60564
I spent three hours yesterday driving into Chicago and back out, much of it in heavy traffic. The dasboard says I averaged 33 mpg.

DAP really takes the stress out of congested roads. It has gone from being something I bought almost as a lark to one of my favorite features.

My windshield is crystal clear-- but that is because I thoroughly cleaned it inside and out on Saturday.

And you are right about Brilliant Black.
The MMI mpg numbers are pretty inaccurate, I go by how many gallons to fill and divide that into the miles driven.
Yep,I cleaned mine too - but I'm wondering if that coating - Nanoflex (which I was told was applied on the windshield) had something to do with it. Yep, I've so many black cars and the fact that the Allroad prestige was very limited in availability helped me choose the Gotland Green. Nothing sharper looking than a clean black car, but nothing more difficult to maintain.
And something else I noticed - I also cleaned my rear window before the drive and by the time I got there, it was completely covered in dust.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah the dash estimate of mileage is about 10-15% optimistic. I will know for sure when I fuel up this week.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too am impressed with both the quiet and smoothness of the ride. Pretty zippy and nice handling also. I love the varying hues of my Gotland Green in different lighting situations. The exclusivity of the allroad is a plus also. I have yet to see another on the road.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Funny, I said Audi hit a home run with the A4. I'm still loving it.

Great to hear your impressions of your new Allroad because if the A5 Sportback doesn't arrive at dealerships by June when our G37 lease is up we will be seriously considering the Allroad.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike60564
Yeah the dash estimate of mileage is about 10-15% optimistic. I will know for sure when I fuel up this week.
I've been calculating mileage on every tank since new. I agreed that the dash estimate is optimistic, but I haven't found it to be 10-15%. More like 2-6% optimistic in my scenario.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by drewba
I've been calculating mileage on every tank since new. I agreed that the dash estimate is optimistic, but I haven't found it to be 10-15%. More like 2-6% optimistic in my scenario.
First fill up. Averaged just under 25mpg with a mix of around town (60%) and freeway (40%). 237 miles 9.5 gal. Pretty good I thought. I have a fairly heavy foot.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by drewba
Your mileage may vary. I see mostly 28-30s on the display at the end of my commutes, but when I fill up it's always between 26-27.