A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

buying a used A4 with 35k miles

Old 02-22-2017, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying a used A4 with 35k miles

Would it be a good idea to purchase a 2013 A4 with 35k miles on it? It's for sale at a used car dealership, doesn't have the carfax so not sure of any maintenance records. But in terms of maintenance costs what can I expect? would be my first Audi. I know there's a service that comes up at 55k miles and so on...
Are they "expensive" to maintain? I've heard that a lot-Audi's are expensive cars to keep. Just trying to get an idea of what I can expect and if I should take it to an Audi dealer to see if any thing needs to be done that the dealer might have missed?
Old 02-23-2017, 11:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a used 2013 A4 off a lease from the Audi dealer, it had all the records and they knew the car because it was serviced at the dealer the entire time. I would at least ask if you can have the car looked over by the Audi dealer, you will probably have to pay for it, but i think it is worth having a second opinion if there are no previous records. I just had my 55K service a few months ago, I go to a local shop I have a good relationship with and they charged just over $400 for spark plugs, oil change, engine filter and cabin filter. You should get your oil changed every 5,000 miles. There is going to be your typical wear and tear on the car over time such as brakes and tires. As long as you keep up to date with everything you should be fine. They are more expensive to own, but depends what car you previously had/have. I know there are additional warranties that may be worth looking into as well, Audi is 4 year or 50,000 miles which ever comes first. If you have any other questions please let me know. That is my two cents.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know that's only about $135 in parts.... plugs, oil, filters....
Old 02-23-2017, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had my '13 allroad for near 2 years, purchased it CPO with 32k miles on it.

I test drove some '12 Avants and other '13 allroads. A few were CPO, a few were not (corner lot dealer, private party, and VW dealer). With that many test drives in the various cars, it was really easy to tell that the beautiful Avant at the corner lot dealer didn't feel quite right, and turned out probably had some previous damage that was cleverly hidden in the CarFax.

After the first two dealer services that came with my car courtesy of the previous owner. , I've got an oil change and front brake job under my belt. No problem there, and parts are available on Amazon and normal auto supply channels. Brakes jobs are supposed to include new rotors every time, but reliable brands like Borg Warner are there for you.

If I had purchased the Audi Care plans for the 10k mile services, they would have been in the $1500 apiece range, which is really high for basic fluid and filter changes. I opted out.

I've had my MMI module replaced due to a fidgetey volume know, under the CPO extended warranty, and that was valued at $600 just for the part, although I could do that job at home with an ebay part for a couple hundred less.

I think the replacement cost of my two torn CV boots (just the boots) at around 60k miles are in the $600 apiece range, but were covered under warranty. I've never replaced my own boots before, but would like to to try it. And I'm sure my local mechanic is a bit less expensive.

That's it for 60k miles, and the car has otherwise been reliable. So far it's easy for me to sum up my experience as potentially a little more expensive (compared to my most recent previous long term cars: VW, Ford, Subaru), but not abhorrently so. Of course, that's if I didn't have the extended warranty -- something, ironically, I never ever buy for a car.

But getting back to your original question, if you're convinced the car is straight and drives right, and it checks out, there's nothing wrong with 35k miles, especially if the price is right.