A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Help on removing the HPFP

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on removing the HPFP

So I'm attempting to remove my High Pressure Fuel Pump to check my Cam Follower but ran into a snag pretty early. The gray electrical connector closer to the PCV valve is upside down compared to the Deutsche Auto Parts video here:

I can not for the life of me get under there to release it. I have removed a couple hoses from the PCV which gave me a little room but I just can't bend my finger enough to get up there. I tried using a 90 degree offset screwdriver to get up in there and release it to no avail.

Any tips on getting this off? I'm convinced my follower is worn through but want to make sure before "paying" to have Audi look at it for the Cam Follower Warranty Extension (I have 90k miles).
Old 02-23-2017, 02:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I couldn't get mine off either so I just left it and there was enough slack for me to pull the HPFP back to get to the Follower.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Mixed news everyone!

I left the pressure sensor on as suggested and managed to remove (almost) the pump and follower. The black coating on the center was gone, but nowhere near having a dent or a hole in it. The piston on the pump looked good too. I put the new follower in anyways since the black coating was completely worn in the center.

I was unable however to remove the rubber fuel line that my pump has (as opposed to the Banjo Bolt). This was fine for changing the follower, but I was unable to install the Stud Conversion kit as once the studs were in, I couldn't slide the pump over the studs. I also couldn't figure out how you were supposed to tighten the studs into the housing without just threading the nut on (which then loosens the stud when I try to remove it), no matter how tight I thought I had it, I could just loosen it by hand again.

I'm thinking about just taking it to my local independent and having them put the stud kit on when they do my timing belt now that I know my follower and cam are looking good. Back to square one on the hesitation and white smoke. Looking at the valve cover next (I checked my PCV already).