A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

B8 vs B9 - have you driven both??

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B8 vs B9 - have you driven both??

I have a 2013 Allroad Prestige w/ Sport Pkg and Full Paint. Its a fantastic car but the warranty is expiring next month and I'm thinking of a new ride. My local dealers don't have a 2017 Allroad yet so I'd like to hear impressions from those of you who have driven both. Any and all input would be appreciated but a couple of specific things:

1. Ride and handling differences with new engine and Ultra Quattro? Particularly off the line speed and cornering, as well as highway cruising.

2. B&O sound -- I love my B&O but it (naturally) didn't come close to the B&O in my old S7 (and shouldn't given the price spread). But how does the 2017 B&O sound vs the B8 B&O

3. Internal size - I can see that the dimensions are slightly different but are they noticeable in real life - for people and cargo - in particular, for putting a bike in the back w/ seats down.

4. Sport Seats -- are they the same as in the B8 - I love the B8 sport seats and absolutely hate the B8 regular seats.

5. Quality of interior plastics and inlays - my hard plastic quality is decent but the dark wood is too glossy and I hate the aluminum dash/gauge surround trim. I'm liking the look of the Gray Oak.

Thanks
Old 02-24-2017, 01:18 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Coming from a prestige allroad B9, the quality is impeccable the speed is sweet, and I have no complaints on the car except that Europe gets more options then us! IMHO, this car is well worth the money and deserves more credit then people give it
Old 02-24-2017, 01:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by daf999999
I have a 2013 Allroad Prestige w/ Sport Pkg and Full Paint.
My previous car was also a 2013 Allroad Prestige with Sport Pkg (no full paint, since it was not available on Monsoon gray).

In December, I took delivery of a 2017 Allroad Prestige (this time with full paint, Manhattan gray).

For me, the B9 was a huge upgrade:

(1) I personally cannot tell the difference between the B8 Quattro and B9 Quattro Ultra.

(2) The new B&O sounds fantastic-- just as good as the B8 did (perhaps better thanks to mid-range equalizer controls). The B9 steering wheel is a much better music controller now that it has track skip buttons. Fortunately, the B89's volume/track **** is still to the right of the gear shift, so my muscle memory still works.

(3) I haven't noticed any real interior size differences, but rear seat passengers have commented on the additional room, and that they prefer the fixed angle of the B9's seat backs. They also love the back seat climate controls.

(4) The B9 sport seats have much better side bolstering than my B8 had. The B9 seats feel more comfortable to me, and hold me in the seat better when cornering. I'm looking forward to testing the seat cooling feature once the weather gets warm enough (it is still snowing here).

(5) I opted for the dark walnut inlays because I wanted to add some warmth to my B9's black interior. The standard aluminum inlays left me cold. The oak inlays were my second choice, but I ultimately decided on some contrast with black. I wish Audi offered blonde bamboo inlays (and while we're at it: stitched leather door armrests with better padding). Stitched leather dashboard would be nice too, although the plastic there really doesn't bother me.

(6) B9 cabin tech is a huge step up-- and in truth was a huge factor in my decision to upgrade to the 2017 allroad. CarPlay, Virtual Cockpit, Heads Up Display, and all the new safety features really wowed me. I'm still wowed every time I get into the car-- the displays start animating, and the ambient lighting sets the mood.

(7) B9 Performance. When I first got the B9, I was very aware of the increased horsepower. B9 steering/handling seems much tighter to me than the B8 (perhaps the B8 just seemed looser after several years of driving). My B8 electromechanical steering sometimes had a very notchy feel in cold temperatures-- something that I have thankfully not experienced with the B9.

Last edited by lifjoy; 02-24-2017 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Allroading17
Coming from a prestige allroad B9, the quality is impeccable the speed is sweet, and I have no complaints on the car except that Europe gets more options then us! IMHO, this car is well worth the money and deserves more credit then people give it
I agree, but what makes you think this Allroad or even Allroads in general, don't get credit? Or do you mean why they aren't more popular? I have not followed Allroad's sales, but I'm willing to bet this B9 AR will be by far the best selling AR yet.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by lifjoy
My previous car was also a 2013 Allroad Prestige with Sport Pkg (no full paint, since it was not available on Monsoon gray).

In December, I took delivery of a 2017 Allroad Prestige (this time with full paint, Manhattan gray).

For me, the B9 was a huge upgrade:

(1) I personally cannot tell the difference between the B8 Quattro and B9 Quattro Ultra.

(2) The new B&O sounds fantastic-- just as good as the B8 did (perhaps better thanks to mid-range equalizer controls). The B9 steering wheel is a much better music controller now that it has track skip buttons. Fortunately, the B89's volume/track **** is still to the right of the gear shift, so my muscle memory still works.

(3) I haven't noticed any real interior size differences, but rear seat passengers have commented on the additional room, and that they prefer the fixed angle of the B9's seat backs. They also love the back seat climate controls.

(4) The B9 sport seats have much better side bolstering than my B8 had. The B9 seats feel more comfortable to me, and hold me in the seat better when cornering. I'm looking forward to testing the seat cooling feature once the weather gets warm enough (it is still snowing here).

(5) I opted for the dark walnut inlays because I wanted to add some warmth to my B9's black interior. The standard aluminum inlays left me cold. The oak inlays were my second choice, but I ultimately decided on some contrast with black. I wish Audi offered blonde bamboo inlays (and while we're at it: stitched leather door armrests with better padding). Stitched leather dashboard would be nice too, although the plastic there really doesn't bother me.

(6) B9 cabin tech is a huge step up-- and in truth was a huge factor in my decision to upgrade to the 2017 allroad. CarPlay, Virtual Cockpit, Heads Up Display, and all the new safety features really wowed me. I'm still wowed every time I get into the car-- the displays start animating, and the ambient lighting sets the mood.

(7) B9 Performance. When I first got the B9, I was very aware of the increased horsepower. B9 steering/handling seems much tighter to me than the B8 (perhaps the B8 just seemed looser after several years of driving). My B8 electromechanical steering sometimes had a very notchy feel in cold temperatures-- something that I have thankfully not experienced with the B9.
I can't comment on your B8 - B9 AR comparison, never having driven any AR besides my B9, but would very much agree with your assessments of the B9. I also have the walnut with black interior, nougat seats and think the walnut really warms it up nicely. Same interior on my A4 but with aluminium trim and did not like that trim at all. I have said it before and agree with you here, leather stitching and more real leather instead of that pleather would be a nice option and I would bet many would pony up for that added luxury. Porsche ha those options ( as well as a zillion more) but Porsche prices on those upgrades are way out there.
My advice to the OP, take a test drive and check it out yourself, I'd think you would be impressed enough to get one.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:34 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
I agree, but what makes you think this Allroad or even Allroads in general, don't get credit? Or do you mean why they aren't more popular? I have not followed Allroad's sales, but I'm willing to bet this B9 AR will be by far the best selling AR yet.
I think people prefer SUVS and crossovers more then wagons. I love the allroad and hope it will be the best selling one yet!
Old 02-25-2017, 07:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I came out of a 2015 Audi A4 with Sports and Tech Packages. Now drive 2017 Allroad. A few thoughts:

-Ride is better and the adaptive dampers are nice plus. Even in dynamic mode, which is where I leave it most of the time, much better than B8 w/ sports suspension.
-Off-the-line. Smooth and less turbo lag BUT I notice some minimal torque steer off the line once in a while, which I don't like - probably equivalent to 2010 A3 Quattro (Haldex) that I used to have. May have to do with tires - plan to get Michelin Super Sports or DWS06 at some point this year.
-Cornering. Not as good primarily due to higher ride height. More roll. However, understeer is gone in B9, which is a big plus. Steering more direct than B8. Handling still lacks feel, however. Pretty artificial and lifeless as are most Audis.
-Sport Seats - very similar to B8 - a wash. I consider this a good thing. Leather is a bit better.
-Ultra Quattro - It's good but not as good as Torsen. I'd say it's a downgrade per occasional torque steer.
-More interior room for sure but that's due primarily to body shape. Most bikes fit.
-Quality of interior plastic and inlays - B9 is better than B8 overall.

Overall, an upgrade but more on the evolutionary side of things, not revolutionary. However, you are coming out of a B8 whereas I was coming out of a B8.5 - I think you will see this as a much bigger upgrade.

Last edited by Gotland; 02-25-2017 at 07:40 AM.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks all for the info. Most of it is good news - although I'm bummed to hear about a bit of torque steer. That was something I was concerned about with the new FWD/biased quattro system. I was always a RWD guy until I got tired of swapping in winter tires, my few forays into FWD were not good, and I ultimately settled on quattro as the best of both worlds - perhaps no longer.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yah it's a bit unfortunate. My previous Audi was 40/60 F/R bias and there was zero torque steer. I've felt it just slightly 3-4 times over first 1000 miles - only under hard acceleration. Certainly no where near as prominent as a front-wheel drive car but it isn't perfect. I had read that keeping it in dynamic mode locks in quattro but I don't know if that's true. Someone else said they swapped tires and that did the trick. I want to upgrade to UHP all seasons anyway.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Currently driving a leased 2016 A3, but I'm planning when my lease is up to buy either a used B8 or B9 allroad.

My only real concern about the B9 is the new shifter...i'm very confused as to why they decided to order it RNPD/S, instead of the traditional PRND/S...has anyone had problems with this or is it easy to get used to?

Quick Reply: B8 vs B9 - have you driven both??