A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Play Music from External Drive Plugged into USB?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Play Music from External Drive Plugged into USB?

I'm curious whether it's possible to play music from an external drive plugged into the USB port. I put a bunch of MP3 files on an external drive and plugged the drive into the USB port. I was hoping that I could play the MP3 files, but was unable to find a way to do it. Has anybody else tried this?
Old 02-25-2017, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinB656
I'm curious whether it's possible to play music from an external drive plugged into the USB port. I put a bunch of MP3 files on an external drive and plugged the drive into the USB port. I was hoping that I could play the MP3 files, but was unable to find a way to do it. Has anybody else tried this?
You can play music from a USB flash drive (I do it all the time). But - if you're talking about using a large capacity external hard drive, that could be a problem. Flash drives are typically formatted FAT-32 while external hard drives are typically NTFS. I'm not sure if the Audi system will accept that. Maybe good for an afternoon experiment. You could obviously reformat your hard drive to FAT, ExFAT, or FAT-32 but if I'm not mistaken you'll lose a lot of capacity (I know just enough about the intricacies of computers to be dangerous )
Old 02-25-2017, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thank you, Cad. What do you select for media source in the MMI when you have your flash drive connected?
Old 02-25-2017, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thank you, Cad. What do you select for media source in the MMI when you have your flash drive connected?
As I recall you select the "Media" button on the console & then use the center **** to select what you want to be your source. One of the choices is a USB symbol with either a #1 or #2 under it to determine which one you want to access - depending on which port your device is plugged into. Select one & push the center button. I'm going to be out in mine today - I'll try & verify.......
Old 02-25-2017, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Cadx6
As I recall you select the "Media" button on the console & then use the center **** to select what you want to be your source. One of the choices is a USB symbol with either a #1 or #2 under it to determine which one you want to access - depending on which port your device is plugged into. Select one & push the center button. I'm going to be out in mine today - I'll try & verify.......
Ah, yes, I see that now. Thanks. It is showing up as unreadable for me even after I formatted the drive FAT32.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ah, yes, I see that now. Thanks. It is showing up as unreadable for me even after I formatted the drive FAT32.
You probably already figured out I didn't know what I was talking about to select which source you want . Use the media button- not the center ****.
You've got my curiosity up now. Tomorrow I'll put some MP3 files on a couple of external drives & see if I can get them to work.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I found the thread linked below where a guy was able to hook a 500gb external drive to his AMI (not available on our cars) and get it to play all of his music. I would think we would be able to do the same thing through USB. No matter what I try, though, the MMI shows the drive as unreadable. (I have deleted the partition and reformatted as FAT32 using Mini-Tool Partition Wizard as the guy in that thread did.) I do not believe it's a power issue because the drive spins up when I plug it in to the USB port.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-...s-ami-2825821/
Old 02-25-2017, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I just copied my entire PC iTunes music library, about 3000 songs, onto an inexpensive SD card and slapped it into SD slot number one. Works perfectly, all album art present, can sort by artist or album, etc. Instill have a slot free, which i just used last week to do a complete MMI map update.
The following users liked this post:
MDAudi (02-15-2020)
Old 02-25-2017, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dave W
I just copied my entire PC iTunes music library, about 3000 songs, onto an inexpensive SD card and slapped it into SD slot number one. Works perfectly, all album art present, can sort by artist or album, etc. Instill have a slot free, which i just used last week to do a complete MMI map update.
I have 65k songs. Hence the need for the external drive.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have 65k songs. Hence the need for the external drive.
How many gigs of data?

Quick Reply: Play Music from External Drive Plugged into USB?