Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Car wash plant

Old 02-25-2017, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car wash plant

Hi,

do you turn the engine off in the car wash plant?
If the engine stays on, must the Advanced Key stay inside the car, too?

BR,
webrider
Old 02-25-2017, 10:49 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

I've never heard the term car wash plant, but no you can leave the car running and take the key with you while it goes through the car wash.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Be careful run vs. not, especially out of vehicle. For example if auto wipers cycle..when it sees...water, that can get real expensive real fast. Best/worst I saw yet was the car after ours or so went in and for what ever reason the ginormous roller just kept pushing down on his Honda Accord. Quite the number on the roof by time it came out the other end, with him in it. Owner came out screaming and almost spitting his words at the poor gas station attendant. And when it's all on autopilot combined with empty car on = automated car systems on, might as well call the State Farm commercials film team now.
Attached Images  

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-25-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Car wash plant. Perhaps he's a Brit?

If you've never been to a car wash, just ask the fellows there what to do. There are usually large signs (here in the US) that tell you, among other things, "Not responsible for damage" "Leave engine running, brake OFF, transmission NEUTRAL, Windows Closed, Air conditioner off" and a whole lot more.

I find it is impossible to take a Q5 safely through a car wash, what we call a car wash rack. The car is supposed to be left in NEUTRAL, OK. But when you get to the end of the rack you are supposed to put it in DRIVE and leave. Except, you can't shift from neutral to drive without engaging the BRAKE and the car wash owners do not want you to do that. It could cause your car to stop, and the one behind you to hit you.
Ooopsie.

Of course no proper Audi owner would ever have that problem, the use of cruel mechanical car washes on Audi's is outrageous, and will void your warranty anyway.

Right guys?
Old 02-26-2017, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
Car wash plant. Perhaps he's a Brit?

If you've never been to a car wash, just ask the fellows there what to do. There are usually large signs (here in the US) that tell you, among other things, "Not responsible for damage" "Leave engine running, brake OFF, transmission NEUTRAL, Windows Closed, Air conditioner off" and a whole lot more.

I find it is impossible to take a Q5 safely through a car wash, what we call a car wash rack. The car is supposed to be left in NEUTRAL, OK. But when you get to the end of the rack you are supposed to put it in DRIVE and leave. Except, you can't shift from neutral to drive without engaging the BRAKE and the car wash owners do not want you to do that. It could cause your car to stop, and the one behind you to hit you.
Ooopsie.

Of course no proper Audi owner would ever have that problem, the use of cruel mechanical car washes on Audi's is outrageous, and will void your warranty anyway.

Right guys?
Ha ha. My experience with car wash "plants" near me is that the vehicle rolls off the conveyor into the "arms" of a worker who jumps in just in time before it hits something else...