A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying new tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buying new tires

I need to get new tires! The old tires are Cooper Avon Zeon RS3-A 255/40/R19
Witch is an all season tire witch I actually like! So the ones I'm looking to buy are same brand Zeon RS3-G1 all season! $175.00 US witch I think is an awesome price! Any thoughts on the tire/price??
Old 02-25-2017, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Davidlorrain
Witch is an all season tire witch I actually like! So the ones I'm looking to buy are same brand Zeon RS3-G1 all season! $175.00 US witch I think is an awesome price! Any thoughts on the tire/price??
For 19's, near lowest end of price range for TireRack comparables. 19 has always been a bit of a struggle to me. Easier to find choices at more favorable prices in 18's or 20's. If happy w/ them, have at it! The Audi type spec ones listed are all more $$, and in that size something like a Conti I might look at to me is a crappy tire as that ProContact. Had them on loaners, saw them bubbled on neighbor's A4, long in tooth design now, etc. Sort of walking tire mediocrity. Bigger picture, honestly I didn't see any stars or standouts in an A/S, and certainly not at that price. Thus if you like road feel/handling, wear, noise and traction and it has at least an H (or better, V) speed rating, can't quibble too much.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
For 19's, near lowest end of price range for TireRack comparables. 19 has always been a bit of a struggle to me. Easier to find choices at more favorable prices in 18's or 20's. If happy w/ them, have at it! The Audi type spec ones listed are all more $$, and in that size something like a Conti I might look at to me is a crappy tire as that ProContact. Had them on loaners, saw them bubbled on neighbor's A4, long in tooth design now, etc. Sort of walking tire mediocrity. Bigger picture, honestly I didn't see any stars or standouts in an A/S, and certainly not at that price. Thus if you like road feel/handling, wear, noise and traction and it has at least an H (or better, V) speed rating, can't quibble too much.
They have a w speed rating!!
Old 02-25-2017, 09:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default look at tire rack survey

for Ultra high performance all season tires. There are 3 of the top six rated tires that you can get for that price or a few bucks more. I am currently on a set of the Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2 model tires, and they seem equal to the two sets of DWS Contis I have used previously.

Last edited by awdinut; 02-26-2017 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
The Audi type spec ones listed are all more $$, and in that size something like a Conti I might look at to me is a crappy tire as that ProContact. Had them on loaners, saw them bubbled on neighbor's A4, long in tooth design now, etc. Sort of walking tire mediocrity. Bigger picture, honestly I didn't see any stars or standouts in an A/S, and certainly not at that price. .
What are your thoughts on the Continental DWS 06's? From reviews of folks on here from AW as well as online (TireRack) they *seem* to be a well-regarded tire. Sounds like you were sort of underwhelmed with Conti's above.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ok I'm now looking at the BFGoodrich G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S. They're like $20 more a tire but look like the best choice of all seasons! Any thoughts??
Old 02-26-2017, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by nathanwind
What are your thoughts on the Continental DWS 06's? From reviews of folks on here from AW as well as online (TireRack) they *seem* to be a well-regarded tire. Sounds like you were sort of underwhelmed with Conti's above.
I have these Continental DWS 06's and like them very much. Paid $220 each. I am sure that some will agree and some will disagree. I made my decision based on comments made on this forum and other reviews.
Good luck with whatever you choose!!
Old 02-26-2017, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by nathanwind
I have DWS 06's on the D4 S8 now. DW's by summer. Trying it in lieu of a ful winter tire since I am in NorCal (typically a Dunlop 3D or comparable for me). Winter tire need is only for treks to Sierra's by winter. So far all good. Wife's short lived 2009 Smart car came with Conti ProContacts by contrast, or the owner's A4 with the bubbled one across the street, or the lower line loaners I have gotten at dealer. Some idea of the target market and age for that crappy one. Same manufacturer, but like comparing an A8 to a VW Polo, even though not cheap as a tire. Thus, looking at the model/specific tire,not just the brand halo.

If there were DWS 06's in the 19's or the current Michelin AS3+'s in the size, then of course. Didn't show in 30 second search the other day for whatever reason though. If available in the D3 19 menu choice, great. OP's tire selection is at a still lower price point than most on the TireRack available list. The usual knock on the DWS 06 is it is too soft or maybe feels a little squirrelly performance wise. But I think that is likely people confusing or blending it with reviews on the older straight DWS tire. Honestly, didn't feel much difference even from DW (performance summer) to DWS 06 switch...on a D4 S8.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-26-2017 at 08:03 AM.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Cooper Zeon RS-3As; on my 2nd set of them. They have gotten great tread wear for me, they're quiet, great traction in wet and snow, and you can't beat the price for the quality of an American-made tire. I see you're in VT so we have similar weather. Previously I had the Hancooks which were noisy and Pirelli p6s which wore down fast. Good luck with your choice.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Which Hankooks ?

Originally Posted by Mike141
I have the Cooper Zeon RS-3As; on my 2nd set of them. They have gotten great tread wear for me, they're quiet, great traction in wet and snow, and you can't beat the price for the quality of an American-made tire. I see you're in VT so we have similar weather. Previously I had the Hancooks which were noisy and Pirelli p6s which wore down fast. Good luck with your choice.
Which Hankook model did you have ? I cant imagine the Ventus S1 Noble 2 tread pattern ever being noisy. I have had them for over a year and they are as quiet as the 2 sets of DWS Contis I had previously.

Last edited by awdinut; 02-26-2017 at 03:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Buying new tires