S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Secondary ECU - to avoid TD1 Detection

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Secondary ECU - to avoid TD1 Detection

Just curious if the TD1 flag that identifies if the car has been flashed is actually stored on the ECU itself.

If that's the case, couldn't I just order a 2nd ECU and have that one flashed/installed. Then any time I needed to take the car in for work, just physically swap the ECU?

Asking for a friend
Old 02-27-2017, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just to be clear, the TD1 flag is applied by VAG head office when they determine that the ECU has been tampered with (amongst other criteria). It's not a flag planted in your ECU itself. It's been said, however, that the ECU has a counter that increments each time it's flashed, so the mothership might be able to detect tampering that way.

That being said, your idea might have merit. Other than the expense, I'm not sure if it's do-able or not. The ECU is a bit of a bear to access, BTW.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:40 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

-The Audi mothership will be able to tell the new ECU does not match that specific car...unless replaced/ updated at a dealership, then the old ECU would be made invalid for that specific car.
-Also AFAIK there are so many software steps to replacing the ECU in a C7 it may not be possible by anyone other than a dealership.

I know what you are saying though, it is not like the old B5 days where as long as you got the same ECU box code for your car you could swap them back and forth at will.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the input. I pulled the trigger on a RaceChip to avoid the need to reflash the ECU. Looks like pretty good results from some other threads on this board.

https://www.racechip-usa.com/chiptun...-0-TFSI-331kw/

I will post an update once it's installed later this week. Moar Powar!
Old 02-28-2017, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

I'm all over the place about tunes. Please let us know how this one pans out for you. Its a steal price wise.

Originally Posted by geoff2010
Thanks for the input. I pulled the trigger on a RaceChip to avoid the need to reflash the ECU. Looks like pretty good results from some other threads on this board.

https://www.racechip-usa.com/chiptun...-0-TFSI-331kw/

I will post an update once it's installed later this week. Moar Powar!
Old 03-01-2017, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I will be installing today or tomorrow and will post a follow up.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So far so good! The Racechip installed easily - although the instructions were in German, which made it a little challenging. Definitely pulls a lot harder in the lower RPM range and feels faster throughout. Haven't launched the car yet - but will probably do it this weekend... my poor blizzaks will hate me.

When I need to bring my car in for service, it will take about 5 minutes to uninstall - so that's pretty awesome.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

Good news. Do you have pics of the install? Where did you put the module in the engine compartment?

thx

Originally Posted by geoff2010
So far so good! The Racechip installed easily - although the instructions were in German, which made it a little challenging. Definitely pulls a lot harder in the lower RPM range and feels faster throughout. Haven't launched the car yet - but will probably do it this weekend... my poor blizzaks will hate me.

When I need to bring my car in for service, it will take about 5 minutes to uninstall - so that's pretty awesome.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Can you give us some details on the install process.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by HiTEC
Can you give us some details on the install process.

The install is very simple. There are basically 3 sensors that you disconnect and put the Racechip in the middle of. Once I found the 3 sensors it took about 10 minutes. I just mounted the chip itself to the fuel rails - it is very light and just zip tied to them. I may relocate, but for now it seems to be just fine.
Attached Thumbnails Secondary ECU - to avoid TD1 Detection-img_0521.jpg   Secondary ECU - to avoid TD1 Detection-img_0522.jpg   Secondary ECU - to avoid TD1 Detection-img_0523.jpg  

Quick Reply: Secondary ECU - to avoid TD1 Detection