A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Seat Weight Sensitivity?

Old 02-27-2017, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Seat Weight Sensitivity?

Hey all

Has anyone run into seat weight sensitivity? What I mean by this is sometimes when my iPad, iPhone, and wallet are on the passenger seat my car will make the seatbelt chime for the passenger side. This happens maybe 35% of the time the items are on the passenger seat. It has never done that with nothing on the seat. It's just odd that the car would take all three items and think it's a mini person. Anyone else run into this? It's not that big of a deal and I just have to put the iPad on the floor and it will stop but still kinda annoying.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had the same issue. I'm sure there were no more than 4 pounds on the seat, but it seems to have been enough.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happens all the time to me in my Q5 if I'm carrying my MacBook Pro in my work bag. The B9 A4 loaner I had for five days did the same thing. Often times it is fixed by adjusting the bag position.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

i have had the reverse happen on my 2014 A4. even with the passenger sitting, the "passenger airbag off" sign would light up but would go away after sometime.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This happened with my BMW 3 Series. It happened on every one I drove, whenever I placed my iPhone 5 on the passenger seat, it set it off the alert. I had to put the phone on the edge on below lumbar support.

Someone said that interference emitted by these devices would trigger the sensor since a 10 ounce object should not set off the alert. Don't know if this is true or not, but it is weird how the sensor picks up such a lightweight device.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read this and then drove home. During the drive I had my laptop in my bag plus 2 gallons of milk all sitting on the passenger seat with no issues.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Strife1013
Hey all

Has anyone run into seat weight sensitivity? What I mean by this is sometimes when my iPad, iPhone, and wallet are on the passenger seat my car will make the seatbelt chime for the passenger side. This happens maybe 35% of the time the items are on the passenger seat. It has never done that with nothing on the seat. It's just odd that the car would take all three items and think it's a mini person. Anyone else run into this? It's not that big of a deal and I just have to put the iPad on the floor and it will stop but still kinda annoying.
That's odd. I put my backpack (with laptop and books etc. definitely more than 10 lbs) on the passenger seat every single day for my 28 miles commute. Never triggered the weight sensor to count as passenger. I do see the "Passanger Airbag Off" sign though.
Old 02-28-2017, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting.....looks like we've been unable to narrow down the cause. Seems like it just does or doesn't happen. Just odd. Good to know there are others out there and others with other cars that do this. It is what it is I suppose.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Strife1013
Hey all

Mine will chime with my laptop bag which is less then 8 lbs sitting on the front seat.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by pt22
Mine will chime with my laptop bag which is less then 8 lbs sitting on the front seat.

Just weighed my leather expandable briefcase and it is about 20 lbs. Rides shotgun to work with me every day, and I have never had it chime on me. Nor will a full box of wine. Very odd that it would be so random among the same vehicles. Maybe it rests on the bolsters a bit more than the seating surface.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Seat Weight Sensitivity?