Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Coupe vs sportback

Old 02-27-2017, 08:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coupe vs sportback

Hi guys,

so ive been waiting for the S5 for almost 6 months now and finally got a chance to Check it out at the Toronto auto show and then at my local dealer. I must say that I can't wait to get my order in , however, I'm struggling to make the decision between the coupe and sportback. I had my mind set on the coupe but looking at the sportback in person I'm struggling to make a decision especially considering I am a family man . My wife does have an SUV and we usually use hers when we go out as a family.

Im also impatiently waiting for a test drive before I pull the trigger but it seems like that will delay getting the car by at least 4-5 months as they won't have any S5s to test drive anytime soon!

For or people who have pulled the trigger on an S5 , how did you make the decision without a test drive ?
Old 02-27-2017, 11:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Not quite this decision, but FWIW, I bought my current RS5 without ever test driving one. It was impossible to find one for a test drive as they were all sold orders. I based my decision on reviews and I knew I was gonna like it and I test drove an S5 as a close approximation. I took it a step further and even did European Delivery, so I couldn't even refuse delivery if I didn't like it. Had to go through with it and I wasn't disappointed.

I think you have to ask yourself if you need 4 doors, but you can also order both, then once you have a chance to test drive them and decide, you cancel one of the orders and get your deposit back. I think many folks don't realize that ordering a car is not a commitment. You can refuse delivery and just walk away if you don't like the car.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was at the Toronto Auto show and just ordered my new A5SB ( vs new Q5 ). Once I saw the car I fell in love with the overall exterior design. It is much nicer in person. Coupe is nice, 4 door makes more sense without losing style !
Old 03-01-2017, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Both look great. You just have to decide if it's worth the guilt trip your wife will give you for getting the coupe.

I ordered the S5 coupe, coming in May. I test drove the 2016 S5 and current A4 (same chassis) and watched every YouTube video possible before deciding.

Last edited by HudsonS5; 03-01-2017 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

you tube is so helpful to better understand the vehicles, coming from an SUV I was going back and forth between new Q5 or A5SB and ultimately went with my heart vs my head !
Old 03-01-2017, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

I found the coupe rear seat space disappointingly small compared to the A4...it's certainly not an A4 wit two doors in that regard. Drive an A4 and you have basically driven an A5, and wet know the S5 is just faster so...I'd not be concerned about not having a test drive as long as you are open to a slightly stiffer ride in the A/S5. The sport back is really good looking to me, and I didn't find the A5 to really have that much character in real person while the SB just knocks is out of the ball bark. It really is the difference between the look and the access to the rear seat.

As to the suggestion of ordering both and then cancelling one and getting your deposit back....I don't think that's very sound advice. You don't just get to order and car and then cancel for no reason....this is a complex production process and it doesn't work like that. They the a deposit for a reason, and it's not to refund it. That said, your dealer may be willing to allow you to order two cars and then choose one when it arrives if they feel the ordered specs will be a popular color/feature combination they would like to have in inventory anyways. As always, ordering a new model right at the beginning will make for some constraints not encountered on older models.

Happy Audi shopping!
Old 03-01-2017, 10:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerjones
I found the coupe rear seat space disappointingly small compared to the A4...it's certainly not an A4 wit two doors in that regard. Drive an A4 and you have basically driven an A5, and wet know the S5 is just faster so...I'd not be concerned about not having a test drive as long as you are open to a slightly stiffer ride in the A/S5. The sport back is really good looking to me, and I didn't find the A5 to really have that much character in real person while the SB just knocks is out of the ball bark. It really is the difference between the look and the access to the rear seat.

As to the suggestion of ordering both and then cancelling one and getting your deposit back....I don't think that's very sound advice. You don't just get to order and car and then cancel for no reason....this is a complex production process and it doesn't work like that. They the a deposit for a reason, and it's not to refund it. That said, your dealer may be willing to allow you to order two cars and then choose one when it arrives if they feel the ordered specs will be a popular color/feature combination they would like to have in inventory anyways. As always, ordering a new model right at the beginning will make for some constraints not encountered on older models.

Happy Audi shopping!
Well, I'm sure different states have different rules, but here in California, the deposit is refundable and you can literally walk away for any reason. The car will just go into dealer inventory. They plan for this. Every incoming car goes up on the dealers website and places like Autotrader in case the sale doesn't go through.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by farmerjones
[...]

Happy Audi shopping!
I have both an S4 and an S5 SB on order right now. Though I will must certainly go with the S5 when it arrives. Both are in the misano red color.

Just ask your Audi rep if it is possible to do it.

My choice was made by watching youtube videos and test driving an A4. I hope I won't be diaapointed. I did not have the time to go to the montreal auto show to see the cars in person. Would have been helpfull too

Last edited by Sebast007; 03-01-2017 at 11:32 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

S5 SB style will tip you over. It's low, sleek, has the stunning crease along the side that flares out and creates beautiful shape at the rear near tail lights, looks more aggressive than S4 and the front hood and lights look more athletic than A4. A4 is nice but against the A5 there is no comparison in assertive detail. The hood lines and form ( more rounded than A4 ) and side panels. Hatch is really practical - just no wiper, best part of SB is rear panel contour , look at it close and you see the gorgeous shape it creates. Tail lights on A5 are way nicer too ! on and off . I've analyzed both to the nth degree as you can see ! interior is the same, blind spots in SB aren't bad

yes I ordered an A5 SB !
Old 03-02-2017, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Well, I'm sure different states have different rules, but here in California, the deposit is refundable and you can literally walk away for any reason. The car will just go into dealer inventory. They plan for this. Every incoming car goes up on the dealers website and places like Autotrader in case the sale doesn't go through.
My goodness, I guess so. I sold luxury cars for years, and we don't order a car for someone with the intention of canceling. You order a car, you sign a purchase agreement and you leave a deposit....it's YOUR car, with the legal paperwork to prove it. You can't just walk away. Very weird way to do business.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coupe vs sportback