A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nav went inop in mountains

Old 03-20-2017, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nav went inop in mountains

Weekend trip through Ozark Mountains resulted in Nav freezing at one location and no longer showing movement....like system had lost signal. My cell phone, however, continued to work normally on GoogleMaps. Does the audi nav system not have as good an antenna and prone to lose signal in mountainous areas, or is something wrong with it? System was back online after exiting mountains.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Sounds like something wrong with it. As opposed to mobile phones, the MMI nav has fallback options if it loses the GPS signal. It will use speed information, steering angle, travel direction etc. from the ECU and continue to approximate your current position until it can get a fix on the GPS signal again.

I've driven through canyons with trees blocking the GPS signal for miles and rarely have an issue. Occasionally, the nav drifts from the actual position as the approximation gets inaccurate over time. On the other hand, apps like Google Maps regularly go completely bonkers in the same canyons once the GPS signal is lost.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I have a 2012 with only 33k miles and it is in the stealership right now for the same exact reason. I do have a pre-certified warranty, but they are trying to claim that due to i added stereo amps into my car. The warranty might be void due to interfearing with the MMI. Cause you know radio and navigation is all connected.

I can't wait until I get all of the excuses for them to charge me. Audi/VW is really not going too well for me right now.

Im pretty sure I know what the issue for I have researched and scanned it with my Vag-comm....

1.) Software update. I have read that software update can resolve the issue.
2.) GPS antenna, the shark fin. This actually goes bad over time. And for my, it is about that time.
3.) There are two signal booster near the shark fin antenna. Im sure if not one or both went bad.

I am preparing for the worst and dont have much faith in them. They have had my car since last wednesday, but they did provide me with a loaner. So, Im will burn that up... I will keep you posted and appreciated if you can also.

Best,

Exam23
Old 03-22-2017, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

As I have stated, my 2012 A8L with 33k miles has no idea where it is with regards to GPS location. The car has been in the shop since Wednesday at Audi South Coast. I will state that I did add subwoofers in my car. And my vehicle currently does have Pre-Cert Warranty until 78k miles or 3/2018.

Fun Part:
1.) Service rep tried to start charging me right off the bat with stating that I have added additional equipment electrical related. This was fended off by me for declaring those speakers and was truly not related although it does throw error codes. I said I would be more than happy to print out the vag-com log and show him that the error codes that he and his supervisors is seeing are nothing GPS related. He then backed off.

2.) Service rep then states we will perform a software flash, but if anything goes wrong because of your electronic install. We will not be responsible. At this point, I pointed him towards the direction of the GPS antenna and the two boosters that are near the GPS antennas. At this point, he remains reserves. I did not hear from them at all and I finally called in late yesterday. They have now ordered the antenna, and he is stating this as a last resort. I am not exactly sure how this will turn out, but I am seeking for additional experience and support to support my efforts while I work through this CLOWN shop. Scare tactics are just horrible. It's a poor way to gain customers loyalty and ownerships experience. This is my third VW/Audi Product, and all experiences have been the same as far. Prior ownership experience with BMW and MB was just nothing like this. You would think VW/Audi would learn their lessons from the Diesel scandal.

I will keep all of you posted, but please do share your experiences and knowledge.

Thank you in advance!
Old 03-22-2017, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by exam23
As I have stated, my 2012 A8L with 33k miles has no idea where it is with regards to GPS location. The car has been in the shop since Wednesday at Audi South Coast. I will state that I did add subwoofers in my car. And my vehicle currently does have Pre-Cert Warranty until 78k miles or 3/2018.

Fun Part:
1.) Service rep tried to start charging me right off the bat with stating that I have added additional equipment electrical related. This was fended off by me for declaring those speakers and was truly not related although it does throw error codes. I said I would be more than happy to print out the vag-com log and show him that the error codes that he and his supervisors is seeing are nothing GPS related. He then backed off.

2.) Service rep then states we will perform a software flash, but if anything goes wrong because of your electronic install. We will not be responsible. At this point, I pointed him towards the direction of the GPS antenna and the two boosters that are near the GPS antennas. At this point, he remains reserves. I did not hear from them at all and I finally called in late yesterday. They have now ordered the antenna, and he is stating this as a last resort. I am not exactly sure how this will turn out, but I am seeking for additional experience and support to support my efforts while I work through this CLOWN shop. Scare tactics are just horrible. It's a poor way to gain customers loyalty and ownerships experience. This is my third VW/Audi Product, and all experiences have been the same as far. Prior ownership experience with BMW and MB was just nothing like this. You would think VW/Audi would learn their lessons from the Diesel scandal.

I will keep all of you posted, but please do share your experiences and knowledge.

Thank you in advance!
I can totally understand the reaction of the dealer. The MMI is a network of individual components. These components are interconnected with an optical loop. The thing about an optical loop is that one misbehaving component can cause an issue in a seemingly unrelated part of the loop. So for example if your amp is misbehaving, it could theoretically cause an issue with the nav system, because it might receive a compromised signal.