A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warped rotors in relatively new Audi A8

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warped rotors in relatively new Audi A8

Good afternoon, all, and thanks for any input. I have a 2015 A8 with 32,000/miles. I have warped rotors. Or at least I'm presuming that is the issue. There is a slight shudder when I apply brakes a little more than very lightly. Would anyone know of any recall? I'm due for the 35,000/mile service and I'll ask, but I'm in Tallahassee and there is no Audi dealer here. All I have is a subsidiary of Audi here. And I'm not sure how up to date they are here with everything. Thanks for the input.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be the downpipe TSB. I had the same issue. Thought it was rotors. Fixed under warranty.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Unfortunately welcome to the club. My 2015 A8L needed new rotors at 32000 miles. The majority of the mileage was on the highway. Audi claimed there was nothing wrong with the materials or the workmanship and it must be the way that I drive. It is not the way that I drive. I have needed pads of course buf never rotors on any car I've driven. Usually out of them at 50000 miles or so.After completely harassing the dealership from whom I have purchased three Audis and referred a number of people they eventually agreed to reimburse me to the tune of $800 for the new rotors as I had the work done it an independent shop when Audi wouldn't do it under warranty. It is not unusual the independent shop told me as all late model Audis are trying to reduce weight and thereby making the rotors extremely thin. I don't believe there's a recall on this item. I wrote to Audi USA as well as the owner of the dealership. Good luck. Let us know how you make out
Old 03-20-2017, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The problem is nobody cuts them. Usually rotors last 1 to 2 turns on the machine. It's the proprietary design I guess. On the LS430 it's common to get 120k miles out of the fronts with a turn every 40k.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

I asked then about turning the rotors. Not advised, too thin
Old 03-20-2017, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Psy Wagon
Could be the downpipe TSB. I had the same issue. Thought it was rotors. Fixed under warranty.
Trust me there is no similarities in the vibration between both.... Brake shudder is due to rotors warping and Audis lately have gone softer on their rotors to save weight. I have shudder on my A7 at 20k miles and I am not happy. My 2012 Audi A8L has none of this issue until around 45-50k miles which is excellent for the heavier A8. Downpipes DONT VIBRATE when braking only at certain RPMS of the engine.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I don't know. Minor pulsating should mean minor warpage and sometimes the rotors are not warped at all. It's pad deposits on the surface the rotor. Hard for me to believe our rotors cannot be turned at least once. Especially when done properly. It's a very small amount of rotor that is shaved if you have it done when it first starts. I'm prone to think the business of selling new rotors is the main driving factor of shops / dealers.

Last edited by LexusLSguy; 03-21-2017 at 05:00 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Baloo588
Trust me there is no similarities in the vibration between both.... Brake shudder is due to rotors warping and Audis lately have gone softer on their rotors to save weight. I have shudder on my A7 at 20k miles and I am not happy. My 2012 Audi A8L has none of this issue until around 45-50k miles which is excellent for the heavier A8. Downpipes DONT VIBRATE when braking only at certain RPMS of the engine.
they did for me. even MULTIPLE service staff thought it could be rotors.

either way still need to be aware of the TSB. just throwing it out there.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Not sure how one could compare rotor vibration with downpipe vibration. Two different beasts. As for deposits on pads/rotors, I'm sure that's possible but nonetheless Audi late model cars have rotors that warp pretty regularly at low mileage. Most dealers/indie shops do not advise turning them. My guess is money although I'd bet turning them just isn't worth the limited additional miles/cost
Old 03-21-2017, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I personally would rather turn them for about $40 - $60 vs buying a new set between around $700. It's not like the rotor performs any better vs a new one. As long as its in spec. Ideally, I want to spend the least amount of money on things like this and use it for other purposes. Getting at least 60k - 80k miles out of a set is not too much to ask for, imo. The front rotors also may not fit on the machines because of their design.

Last edited by LexusLSguy; 03-21-2017 at 08:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Warped rotors in relatively new Audi A8