A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

S-Line with 19" Wheels...Extremely rough ride?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 06:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S-Line with 19" Wheels...Extremely rough ride?

I have the s-line package with the 19" wheels, hankook tires...my previous car was a 2016 WRX(Got rid of it 10 months in, the interior was terrible and creaky) so I'm not a total stranger to a nice sporty ride but this thing is unbelievably rough.

I've had the tires already replaced once as they were flat-spotted, the new ones are better but in my opinion still not OK. Even on smooth highways, I get a lot of vibration up through the seat and pedal. I expect to feel the road alot with this setup but shouldn't the ride still be fairly smooth on a nice road?

Pretty vague I know, just looking for some anecdotal opinions. I haven't had too many cars in my life and certainly not a premium one like this. So far I'm not incredibly thrilled, not just because of this problem which I believe is a tire issue still, but also due to some vibration through the pedal when accelerating that I've never felt on any other car before.

The interior and exterior of course leaves a big grin on my face every time but the ride has been underwhelming.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Notice your from Toronto too.. perhaps your shipping blocks are still in?

I have the same package but I thought it was pretty smooth
Old 03-20-2017, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

All right. The Toronto team growing strong! I see so many! On the DVP today there were 3 of us almost aligned perfectly across 3 lanes! The grin on my face haha.

So, about the stiff ride - I had this issue at the beginning and then someone pointed out to me that the marking on the door for tire pressure are MAX amounts, and that's how dealerships prep the car for delivery. Also potentially bad for tire wear as the tire might be so pumped that the middle bulges out every so slightly, creating more wear and tear through the middle of the tyre. Drop the air a bit and see if that changes things.

Official recommendations (Normal is 2 ppl in the car)

Car Tire Pressure
A4 with the 2.0L 4-cyl. Gasoline Engine with:

225/50 R17 94H All-season Tires:
Normal load (F/R psi): 30/28
Max. Load (F/R psi): 35/35

245/40 R18 93Y High-performance Tires:
Normal load (F/R psi): 30/28
Max. Load (F/R psi): 33/33

245/40 R18 97H All-Season Tires:
Normal load (F/R psi): 35/32
Max. Load (F/R psi): 36/36

245/35 R19 93Y High Performance Tires:
Normal load (F/R psi): 36/33
Max. Load (F/R psi): 41/44

I personally went with 35 / 32 for the 19s summer on mine since it's usually just me driving. I also invested in a proper gauge. This thing is kick a$$:
Amazon Amazon

Regarding the vibrations - I think someone posted something specific to that in the last few days. Unfortunate. May be balancing of the tyres or alignment of tyres?
Old 03-21-2017, 07:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The shipping blocks I imagine would rattle you right out of your shoes but I will definitely check. They already had it hoisted up to replace the first set of tires so that would be incredibly embarrassing if they were in.

Tire pressure looks to be quite high, 40 all around. Will drop it down as suggested and see if it gets better.

Appreciate the advice! Stay tuned...
Old 03-21-2017, 12:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what it's worth, I have the 19s (mine came with Conti tires) and S Line, and I find the ride to be quite good. However, I do have the adaptive suspension.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you using run-flats or regular tires? I had run-flats on my previous ride and hated them with passion.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 73JPS
For what it's worth, I have the 19s (mine came with Conti tires) and S Line, and I find the ride to be quite good. However, I do have the adaptive suspension.
ohhh...thats new..didnt know contis were an option too.. i thought all 19s are the Hankook Ventus evo 2.. the reviews for them arent to bad !
Old 03-25-2017, 12:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got a B9 A4 with the same wheels. Different tires though. We've got terrible roads up here in Alaska and I can tell you that the wheels and tires do pass through quite a bit of the small bumps and road feel. However, I'm extremely happy with how it handles the larger frost heaves and bumps at speed. The suspension absorbs these very well and handling is maintained when other vehicles often lose contact with the road.

It's not super smooth, but the car keeps the tires on the ground and the suspension does it's job admirably when you hit a large bump/frost heave at freeway speeds.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Seems my second set of tires are still not good, back to the dealer it goes. Putting it up on the hoists today as well to check for a shipping block left in.

Will report back anything interesting.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tmmxaudi
Seems my second set of tires are still not good, back to the dealer it goes. Putting it up on the hoists today as well to check for a shipping block left in.

Will report back anything interesting.
Just saw you posted on the "rough at low rpm thread" Sorry to see that you have that much trouble with your new car! Hope your dealer will find the actual cause and hand you a smooth running A4.

Quick Reply: S-Line with 19" Wheels...Extremely rough ride?