A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Xenon Headlights Leveling

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xenon Headlights Leveling

I just got my B9 A4 Premium with the Season of Audi Package. Its got the standard Xenon headlights and not the LED.

Are the Xenon's self-leveling and/or Adaptive? In all of my previous cars, (BMW, Mercedes, VW) the Xenon or LED headlights are self-leveling, turn with the steering wheel and do a little up-down-left-right dance at startup.

The A4 does nothing at all and when I had 3 passengers in the car, the headlights seamed to be pointing to the sky.

Also, are the "all-weather" lights supposed to illuminated the inside corner when turning at low speed? If they do not, is there a way of coding that? like some sort of "cornering fog-light" type of deal.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Cric.e.Croc
I just got my B9 A4 Premium with the Season of Audi Package. Its got the standard Xenon headlights and not the LED.

Are the Xenon's self-leveling and/or Adaptive? In all of my previous cars, (BMW, Mercedes, VW) the Xenon or LED headlights are self-leveling, turn with the steering wheel and do a little up-down-left-right dance at startup.

The A4 does nothing at all and when I had 3 passengers in the car, the headlights seamed to be pointing to the sky.

Also, are the "all-weather" lights supposed to illuminated the inside corner when turning at low speed? If they do not, is there a way of coding that? like some sort of "cornering fog-light" type of deal.
Idk about the xenons but I have LED headlights and mine does everything you've mentioned (the little jig on start up and illuminating the corners while turning).
I'm guessing the xenons should do the same but I have no idea.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi, my brother has the same car as you, and I decided to make him a birthday present and bought the new Xenon headlights on https://www.uzooka.com/audi-headlights/. Now I'm confused by your situation. I hope that these problems will be quickly and easily resolved. Good luck!
Old 03-21-2017, 03:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The xenons are not adaptive. I was actually disappointing when I discovered this the hard way. Ignorantly assumed that they would have the auto leveling feature.

The all weather lights do not function as cornering lights by default but you can enable this through coding. Doesn't work quite as well as I would like because it seems like it doesn't want to work when you are going too slow.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by jimmyja4
The xenons are not adaptive. I was actually disappointing when I discovered this the hard way. Ignorantly assumed that they would have the auto leveling feature.

The all weather lights do not function as cornering lights by default but you can enable this through coding. Doesn't work quite as well as I would like because it seems like it doesn't want to work when you are going too slow.
So, no swiveling in corners or auto-leveling, huh?

Do you remember which module, byte and bit to change for the all-weather lights? I have OBDELEVEN
Old 03-21-2017, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Correct, the xenon headlights are fixed. They do not have an auto leveling function.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Cric.e.Croc
So, no swiveling in corners or auto-leveling, huh?

Do you remember which module, byte and bit to change for the all-weather lights? I have OBDELEVEN

Using obdeleven-
Central electronics

fog_light_config:
Change to: static_cornering_light_via_foglightpin

skl_outputs:
Change to: skl_via_bcm1

skl_config:
Change to: turn_light_r48

Let me know if that works. Also, when coding that feature your All Weather Lights will no longer work when the button is pressed. Didn't really matter much for me since I never turned them on anyway but I haven't yet found a way to keep the original functionality in place.

Last edited by jimmyja4; 03-21-2017 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Aren't xenons required by law to self-level? It's the only way to not dazzle traffic with a loaded trunk. I have no idea, but I'd be pretty skeptical they are not self leveling. Not all self-leveling lights do an "up/down level sweep" upon startup, so that doesn't necessarily mean they don't. Easy to find out...look on the rear suspension for a leveling rod.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by farmerjones
Aren't xenons required by law to self-level? It's the only way to not dazzle traffic with a loaded trunk. I have no idea, but I'd be pretty skeptical they are not self leveling. Not all self-leveling lights do an "up/down level sweep" upon startup, so that doesn't necessarily mean they don't. Easy to find out...look on the rear suspension for a leveling rod.
woops yeah you are absolutely correct. It is required by law and audi's official brochure does state that they have "automatic headlight leveling."

But maybe someone can answer this, why do they not do the vertical sweep on startup?

My last audi did not have fully adaptive headlights (up/down, left/right) but still did the vertical sweep on startup? And is what they describe as "dynamic range adjustment" a step farther than the usual "automatic headlight leveling" in terms of the tech being used?
Old 03-21-2017, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Dynamic Range Adjustment means after a certain speed (like 83 MPH or something-ish around there) the lights adjust upward slightly to improve long-distance illumination at these higher speeds.

I'm guessing that some systems were programed to self-level upon start-up, while others have now required vehicle movement to measure rear axel level and then adjust. It's just some tech change some programers chose probably, but it does lack the "drama" upon startup when they don't sweep. Makes sense the vehicle moves and the suspension "settles" in a few feet and then adjusts to be the most accurate.

Quick Reply: Xenon Headlights Leveling