A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Shift modes

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Shift modes

I added paddle shifters to my 2006 A6, but never use them. I thought I would use them more.

I was just wondering how most people drive?

Do you use the D' mode all the time, Or the S' mode or manually shift?

Any harm is leaving the shifter in S' mode all the time?
Old 03-22-2017, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 170 Likes on 149 Posts

In my 2006 A6 Avant, I generally use "D" to maximize MPGs. But sometimes I use the "S" mode for acceleration, and periodically use the manual shift to shift up to go to a higher gear when going up hill. You won't cause any harm leaving the tranny in the sport mode.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I recently acquired a 2005 A6 with a beat steering wheel. I was looking for a replacement and found a NOS that had paddle shifters. I knew I wasn't going to use them, but the wheel was a very nice (NEW GENUINE Audi OEM A6 4F Beige Leather Paddle Shift Steering Wheel '04-11 | eBay).
The only good thing I see with the paddle shifters is that it got my 8th grader somewhat interested in what they were for. I find them almost as useless as the tipotronic mode at the shifter. S mode will give you what you need and shift faster than the paddles. I go into S mode if I need to get out froma red light a little quicker than normal if I end up in the wrong lane.
I have had many 5 speed manuals (and still have a 5 speed Jeep). I find the paddles and tipotronic are sad alternatives to those.
The most use I get out of my new paddle shifters is to bother my kids when I pretend to shift a lot by pressing them when the trans is not in tipotronic mode.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dzywicki
I recently acquired a 2005 A6 with a beat steering wheel. I was looking for a replacement and found a NOS that had paddle shifters. I knew I wasn't going to use them, but the wheel was a very nice (NEW GENUINE Audi OEM A6 4F Beige Leather Paddle Shift Steering Wheel '04-11 | eBay)...
Interesting. Did you have to do any additional wiring or whatnot to make the paddles work? I thought it was a major undertaking to upgrade to paddles if the car didn't come with them. I have a 2006 A6 3.2 with tiptronic. Did you replace the wheel yourself?
Thanks!

Last edited by Sharkwood; 03-23-2017 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharkwood
Interesting. Did you have to do any additional wiring or whatnot to make the paddles work? I thought it was a major undertaking to upgrade to paddles if the car didn't come with them. I have a 2006 A6 3.2 with tiptronic. Did you replace the wheel yourself?
Thanks!
FWIW, tranny life can become compromised through hard shifting, but I've used: D, S, and my paddle shifters frequently and with proper tranny maintenance (fluid & filter change), it should be ok.

As for adding a paddle shifter steering wheel...it's less than a 10 min job. Here's how to do it: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-.../#post24656916
Old 03-23-2017, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the link and info on the steering wheel! Unfortunately, I don't have the VCDS system, but I do want to do this. I'll start another thread to inquire about other programming options.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

I also did this myself. It is pretty much a 10 minute job. You will need VCCDS to add the tipotronic bit. I just really needed new wheel. That wheel for $150 is a steal i the color matches your car.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes indeed! That wheel on ebay is perfect for my car as the leather and fake wood match my trim. Mine doesn't have the wood trim on it - all leather. This also justifies (again) getting the VCDS stuff to make it function correctly.
When I said I thought it was a major hassle to upgrade to paddles, I now recall that that's what's involved on my BMW, and not worth it. For the Audi, it looks pretty simple, as you guys have said. I'm in!

Thanks again for the expedient responses!
Old 03-23-2017, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Unless someone is making a really good fakes, the wheel appeared to be a NOS Audi wheel. Part number matched what I was looking for and identified the color. If Audi uses fake wood on their steering wheels, then I guess it's fake wood. Defintiely a nice addition to my A6.
If you are going to own an Audi, I would highly recommend a VAGCOM cable. I have used my countless times to to reset service intervals, read codes, release the rear parking break etc. I would have to try to maintain my own Audi without one of those. Comes in real handy when you hit a deer (or twice) with your A6 and need to buy another one. Doing the complete car scan saves a lot of hassle.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Are you saying it's real wood? I just ASSumed it was plastic as all my trim is shiny and looks new for an 11 year old car. This type of longevity is typical of plastic - whereas wood tends to crack and discolor. I thought they only used real wood in higher end cars these/those days. If this is real, then I'm pleasantly surprised yet again. I ordered that wheel on eBay, so when I get it I'll take a real close look at it.

Quick Reply: Shift modes