A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

6MT reviews?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 6MT reviews?

Hi,

I've been looking near and far for reviews of the MT B9 but nothing -- nothing in the forums (like here) or in car mags. What's up? To me, the MT version of the car could give it a whole other character - esp. with the sport package + Quattro Ultra (for better or for worse).

it's distinct enough technology that I think it deserves its own review. Don't you agree?
Old 03-22-2017, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

It's better than the stick in the B8. With what seems to be different gearing and the extra torque of the new engine, there's no more huge power drop when shifting from 1-2. It's also almost impossible to stall and if you manage to, the engine restarts automatically by pushing in the clutch (while in gear).
Old 03-22-2017, 04:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had mine for a week, and haven't even done a full throttle acceleration yet. My initial impression is that the shifter is very, very good, with a light, precise, crisp action. The clutch is light and easy to modulate. I can't really comment on the ratios for the simple fact that I haven't driven the car in sporting fashion yet at all, but I do have the impression (rightly or wrongly) that this is the tallest 2nd gear I have ever come across, something I notice going around intersection corners for example. This is no strain on the engine as SYMAWD noted above, and it's not a criticism, it's just a thing I noticed.

I think it is probably the nicest manual transmission I have driven, but I'll have to inventory all my past cars in my head to be certain.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:34 AM
V.V
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered mine end of Feb and I should get it in June. I got the Manhattan Grey with rock grey interior. Can't wait to get it.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I got my Prestige MT6 A4 about a month ago and now have 2,200 miles on it. I've posted some observations in various places here, haven't started a new review thread on it. Search for my posts for the last month and you'll see some things.

Overall I like it a lot, especially important since it's likely the last car I'll own with a manual transmission and probably any transmission at all (hello electric).
Old 03-23-2017, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

I should be getting my Glacier White/Black Premium+ 6MT with Sports Plus Package in early May and I'm very excited. Moving up from 2012 Premium 6MT and expecting great things. But, like you, haven't seen any reviews other than very few random postings.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by smcmillen66
I should be getting my Glacier White/Black Premium+ 6MT with Sports Plus Package in early May and I'm very excited. Moving up from 2012 Premium 6MT and expecting great things. But, like you, haven't seen any reviews other than very few random postings.
You will love it. I picked up mine the other day.

Do you have any questions about it that I can answer?
Old 03-26-2017, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by adg44
You will love it. I picked up mine the other day.

Do you have any questions about it that I can answer?
I have a few questions since I can't seem to find one to test drive:

- When I drove the DSG w/o sport suspension, it felt like a quick and nimble, but "normal" car. It had no sportiness DNA. It felt like a nice sedan. I'm looking for more of a sports sedan feel. Wondering if the 6MT would help provide that sports sedan feel that I definitely get with my 2012 6MT B8.

- The dreaded Quattro Ultra. It's probably impossible for an average person to assess the new technology vs. traditional...but.... have you?

- How is the launch off the line? The B8 has a "torque personality" that you really needed to know how to launch at 0MPH to get the right power out of it. Similar dynamic?

Thx.
Jon
Old 03-26-2017, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had my 6MT B9 for about a month and have driven 2400 miles. I have yet to feel any difference between the Quattro Ultra in this car vs the regular Quattro in my 2006 A4 non-turbo 3.2L V6. I haven't driven in snow yet (when we got snow this Winter we got a LOT of it all at once).

I do notice a bit of a drone note in the engine noise which I assume is from the turbo which I'm not used to.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ordered mine this week, should have it in May or June.
Coming from a Acura CL-S MT6 to this.

Quick Reply: 6MT reviews?