A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Splash Shield sagging

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Splash Shield sagging

Does anyone else have a splash shield that sags like the pictured one?

On my 2009 the splash shield is 1 felt covered piece from front to transmission pan. The 1 piece splash shield is super annoying because it is hard to maneuver when replacing it. I don't see it like this in the Audi parts diagrams, it comes as two pieces on them... does anyone else have a 1 piece shield?

There is a smaller plastic splash shield that goes from the edge of the red line to the circle that has broken off on me twice because it seems to hang low, probably disintegrating on some rail road track crossing right now.

In any case, i was wondering if it does dip like that, and if anyone has done anything to keep it from snagging on the road.

Thanks.
(by the way for those on the west coast, that white stuff on the bottom is genuine Chicago road salt)
Attached Thumbnails Splash Shield sagging-car1.jpg   Splash Shield sagging-car2.jpg   Splash Shield sagging-car3.jpg  
Old 03-22-2017, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Sci-fi_Wasabi
Does anyone else have a splash shield that sags like the pictured one?

On my 2009 the splash shield is 1 felt covered piece from front to transmission pan. The 1 piece splash shield is super annoying because it is hard to maneuver when replacing it. I don't see it like this in the Audi parts diagrams, it comes as two pieces on them... does anyone else have a 1 piece shield?

There is a smaller plastic splash shield that goes from the edge of the red line to the circle that has broken off on me twice because it seems to hang low, probably disintegrating on some rail road track crossing right now.

In any case, i was wondering if it does dip like that, and if anyone has done anything to keep it from snagging on the road.

Thanks.
(by the way for those on the west coast, that white stuff on the bottom is genuine Chicago road salt)
Hmmm, mine was a 2006 and a W12, so maybe different. Mine was two piece, and both pieces hard plastic ABS type stuff. I suppose maybe these got modded some for facelift in MY 2008 when they did some acoustic tweaking. For example, one of my underbody panels farther back under passenger compartment got replaced for one road debris damage claim, leaving one side plastic and other a very heavy felt type thing.

Meantime, are you sure the cover itself is OE? Any Audi part # or tag still visible? I ask having bought a fleabay one once "for cheap" for my A6 4.2. Another Made in China piece of junk--A6's heavily sold in China and hence more issues in parts channels with substandard stuff made for local market. Plastic, but like ⅓ as thick as the OE and about 5x more flexy. I soldiered on with my old one with a few chunks missing.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

MP4.2 i think you are right about it being a MY 2008 tweak. As i look at ECS tuning the pic for the baffle is like mine with regard to material and singe form, and specifies for 2008 and up. I don't see it dipping like that in their picture.
Anyone here with a 2008 and up have the same issue?
Old 03-23-2017, 12:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a 2008 and replaced mine once. It's a large one piece. I use large zip ties to prevent it from sagging, but the front still does sag.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

zip ties
Old 03-26-2017, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Why not use some small fender washers and rivets to hold the felt in place?
Old 03-27-2017, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 03_AR_CO
Why not use some small fender washers and rivets to hold the felt in place?
Unfortunately there is no good place to secure the drooping middle part to, even with tie straps, and when you push up the droopy are it puts lateral pressure on the outer speed nuts and they are coming off easily. I think I'll need to take the whole thing off in the summer and see if in can heat it or cut it in a way that will make it flat again... not sure... it would have been easier if it was 2 pieces like the old one. it may be hard to cut because the top is stuffed with some kind of fluffy material for sound deadening. Anyway maybe someone else will have the same experience in the future and find a good solution.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Roger that, I was of the understanding it was 2 pieces (felt over the abs), would have been too easy. Blew up the picture you have attached and was able to better see the problem you have.