TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Doing maintenance on ill maintained tt quattro

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 06:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doing maintenance on ill maintained tt quattro

So I just bought a 2002 audi tt quattro and it seems the previous owner didn't do much beyond oil changes, so far I've changed to oil to full synthetic 5w-30 (which I'll be doing again tomorrow thanks to not changing the drain plug), I've ordered tie rod ends, sway bar links, turn signal relay, new coil packs and oem plugs, valve cover gasket, engine air filter.

I was thinking of doing the timing belt soon as I don't know if it's ever been done and car is at 137k but I just don't have the time right now.

As far as catching up with maintenance is there anything I'm missing? I'm new to audi so I'm trying to learn as much as possible
Old 03-25-2017, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by setflyn41
So I just bought a 2002 audi tt quattro and it seems the previous owner didn't do much beyond oil changes, so far I've changed to oil to full synthetic 5w-30 (which I'll be doing again tomorrow thanks to not changing the drain plug), I've ordered tie rod ends, sway bar links, turn signal relay, new coil packs and oem plugs, valve cover gasket, engine air filter.

I was thinking of doing the timing belt soon as I don't know if it's ever been done and car is at 137k but I just don't have the time right now.

As far as catching up with maintenance is there anything I'm missing? I'm new to audi so I'm trying to learn as much as possible
If you're down to the timing belt you might as well consider the water pump. The drive belt is more than likely on its last leg. Most I've seen with that mileage could have the alternator go out soon. Also common issue is a rear coil spring breaking. I test drove one with 145k, had a mechanic check it, and he couldn't find anything wrong with the clutch and it looked stock. Could get lucky and have plenty on it, unless it's and automatic then fluid is well overdue.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Don't drive the car until you do the timing belt!

If the TB goes you are looking at a $5K+ repair that will likely total the car. Mk 1 forums are littered with stories of folks whose TB failed on the way to the shop. 5 years or 60k miles is the required change interval. Ignore the owner's manual as Audi has already been sued and lost over its recommendation. TB replacement should include all associated items. Most folks like the DeiselGeek replacement kit that includes everything. I'd freshen the entire suspension as you have the time. Read this FAQ Fourtitude.com - Audi TT FAQ
Old 03-27-2017, 04:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah the timing belt was my main concern mostly because I don't know if it's been done and I'm not sure if there are any signs it may be getting weak, I just need a day or two off in a row where I can replace it as I work a lot
Old 03-27-2017, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 250 Likes on 212 Posts
Default There is an easy visual check

Yeah the timing belt was my main concern mostly because I don't know if it's been done and I'm not sure if there are any signs it may be getting weak, I just need a day or two off in a row where I can replace it as I work a lot
The plastic cap at the top of the engine over the timing belt slides off so you can check belt condition and tightness. Unfortunately, the most common cause of failure is not the belt itself but immediate catastrophic failure of the tensioner or water pump for which there is no warning.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

There's a picture of the timing belt all my cars have used chains so I don't know anything about them really
Old 03-28-2017, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Rotate the crankshaft and see if there's a date code on the timing belt.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

That'll be a tomorrow project thanks!
Old 04-06-2017, 05:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you do not already have one, I would HIGHLY recommend buying a VCDS or just a VAG Scanner on amazon like I did for $49.99. It does most of the features that a regular VCDS does, such as recoding modules, scanning codes, and other things like clearing lights. I would HIGHLY recommend getting one as it will cut your diagnostics time in half. It helps so much. Otherwise, seems like you have done most of the basic things, I would change the Haldex Fluid and Filter, and othe than that, it seems like you are good to go!
Old 04-06-2017, 10:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I learned the timing belt was done at 80000 miles thanks to carfax so I've got some life left on mine but it will be changed fairly soon. I was looking at getting vagcom but I don't have a laptop I currently use a cheap Bluetooth one scanner and torque on my phone but if vagcom is any better I might pickup a cheap laptop or if you know of one that doesn't need one