Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Trading A6 for Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trading A6 for Upgrade

Dear friends I'm seriously considering trading in my 2013 A6 2.0T P+ with under 60K miles it's been great upgrade back in the day but now when I owned it for long enough I start craving for more. I have a 2014 A6 Prestige 3.0 With sport package, full LED, BOSE Sound system in mind. The car is offered for sale by Audi dealer under$ 37K with under 30K miles it is not CPO.
I'm not asking you guys to tell me exactly how much will I get, but rather any one that have experience trading their cars with Audi dealership was it a fair trade? how to negotiate when trading your car any tips what so ever would be appreciated. If you happen to know $ amount that would be fair in this transaction I would appreciate it because I Never sold/trade a car in my life. Also if I'm making a mistake tell me why. My insurance would go up only $12 I think that's a plus.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

I always negotiate a cash deal first...no trade. Once I arrive at a price I am happy with it start talking trade in and financing. That way you really know what they are giving you.

Look at kbb trade in values for the car you are interested in that's likely what they paid for it. My starting point is usually trade in value plus $1000 or so. For the car you describe my starting point would be 32-33k. Especially since it's not cpo.

Make a spreadsheet of all the numbers and model a couple scenarios and bring the print out with you.

Stick to your guns and don't be afraid to walk out. 9 times out of 10 they will try to contact you before you get home.

Lastly you always want to think about the "out the door" price with all taxes and fees included. It's confusing on purpose. And don't be afraid to be kind of a dick about it...they only have one thing in mind to get the most money out of you as possible.

Last edited by dc2002; 03-26-2017 at 01:43 AM.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

As dc2002 said, negotiate the price of the new car first, then talk trade-in value. If you have a Carmax near you, once you get the dealer's trade-in offer, take the car to Carmax and see what they'll offer you for it - they'll give you a no-haggle price that's good for up to 7 days. We did this when purchasing our last car and the price Carmax gave us was so much higher than the dealer could offer that it even made up for the sales tax savings we would've had by trading into the dealer, and we still came out $1,200 ahead, net.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 96 Likes on 44 Posts

I would think that trading a used 2013 A6 for a used 2014 would be a cost difference hard to swallow. Mileage difference on the two cars would be a factor.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I would think that trading a used 2013 A6 for a used 2014 would be a cost difference hard to swallow. Mileage difference on the two cars would be a factor.
That a good case. But how much of the difference the 3.0 engine would be. That is something I would not be able to upgrade in my curent A6. I always wanted to upgrade the wheels to 19", sport suspension and I'm really liking that full LEDs headlights I'm sure that would cost me a lot to upgrade individual not to mention the car has 1/2 a miles on it and in general isn't 3.0 engine more reliable than 2.0

Thanks.

Last edited by TH3PERFECTON3; 03-27-2017 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by TH3PERFECTON3
But how much of the difference the 3.0 engine would be.
If you move forward and pull the trigger I would LOVE to hear what you think as you have now lived with the 2.0 for awhile. Good Luck!
Old 03-27-2017, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Drove to the airport today about 40 miles...minimal traffic and got 31 MPG...going 75-80 pretty much the whole way.

The 3.0T astounds me.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I traded my 15' A3 for a 2017 a couple of months ago, granted every dealership will be different they were very willing to work with me and we got within the range I wanted. I think that since you are staying with an Audi they should be very reasonable with you on an offer. Good luck!
Old 04-13-2017, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well things got complicated .... I did ask about the car and dealer invited me for a test drive. The very same day I got home there was a recall for my 2.0 waiting in mail. I called Service at the location where the 3.0 was offered for sale. Schedule appointment and then I called the Sales man letting him know what I'll be there in couple of days. He tried to get me in quicker but I didn't fall for it leting him know whatever happens happens. The day come I arrive at Service very professional as always. I Was told there need to be a software update and it should take about an hour. I said to my SA great there is a car I want to check out so see yaa later. The salesman that I was talking with was not in. Someone else took care of me I told them the stock number and shortly after that I was told the car just got sold last evening. I felt really bad at that moment. They tried to accommodate me, offer other cars but I was strict 3.0T Prestige Black on Black under 30K milles. There was nothing they had in stock. I said well big deal. I could have test drive any other 3.0 but I said ehhh not meant to be lets leave it for another day. I went to get my coffee and continue waiting for my car to be done I was approached by another nice guy from sales that make sure there is nothing else they could offer me very nice guy. Any way started to think about my 2.0 and I realize that my air bag light was coming on when a passenger was getting off and it stay for some time I let my SA know he pulled my car from cleaning and we drove it together just to make sure and indeed it stayed on. He said well we will run the codes and let you know. End up being a faulty sensor in passenger seat. He offered me reschedule or loaner. I asked him what do you got he smiled and said well I have an A6 for you I said Great ill take it. I Never took Loaner in my life before but That A6 Ended up being a 2017 3.0T with black optics black on black. I kept it cool but the minute I took out of that service I went bananas. I have a whole weekend with a 3.0 c7.5.

What can I say WHAT A CAR the power the ride quality in my opinion superior to my 2.0 heads down. This is exactly what I need. The throttle response especial in s-mode is a killer. Instant power 'objects in the mirror are losing' The work on my car for some reason is being delayed so I'm still with that 3.0 baby as i write this and its been a week I love every minute of it and it seems we will have another weekend together. I will be hard to return this Ride. I don't know how much snappier that 333 hp engine is compared to 310 hp of pre face lift. But the styling the lights the MMI system much quicker with better smart phone support I think that will be my next upgrade and wiser move no question. When I'm ready we'll meet again. Thanks for reading this guys.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

The 3.0 is stupid fast/responsive, now just make sure you don't 'accidentally' test drive the S6 or you'll be wanting that lol

Quick Reply: Trading A6 for Upgrade