A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deer

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Deer

I had a run in with a suicidal deer this evening. I'm thinking S8 front bumper conversion time.

What's everyones guess on repair price? I'm Guessing $15k.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

I hate to see that Duke. I'm guessing $8k in repairs, if we're going to start guessing. Don't forget to go for depreciated value for having an accident on it's record. It looks like you tagged him pretty good, fur everywhere.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That sucks. Hopefully the deer has insurance for your diminished value claim... lol I recently had a uninsured motorist claim on another vehcile but I could not bring myself go after my own insurance company for the diminished value. Maybe I should of anyway. Also, if no police report then the vehicle will not show an accident. From what I understand.

Last edited by LexusLSguy; 03-26-2017 at 04:55 AM.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack88
I hate to see that Duke. I'm guessing $8k in repairs, if we're going to start guessing. Don't forget to go for depreciated value for having an accident on it's record. It looks like you tagged him pretty good, fur everywhere.
I had a similar impact from a box that fell off a truck on my old 2012 A6 Prestige. Thread is here: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...ebris-2910657/

Final repair bill was $17,300. The impact cracked the LED headlight and pulled off the "snap-in" covers on the front bumper that cover the ACC sensor and the non-existent headlight washer. Initial estimate was $4800. After the Audi recommended body shop got it, they found the night vision camera lens was cracked. They ultimately replaced the headlight with all control modules, the ACC sensor, night vision camera, front grille, front bumper cover, parking sensors, repainted the hood, and a few other things.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

No police report. I'm very glad It didn't hit in the center or on the right side and take out a radiator. We were still 20 miles from cell coverage. Didn't feel like a very hard hit and it was a small deer but at 70mph it doesn't take much. It came from the left side of the road at a full run. There where actually two of them but I missed the first one. Didn't even see them until they where in front of the car so no chance to avoid them. Pretty sure I already hit before I even made it to the brake pedal.

I was bored last night and looked up prices on all the parts that are broken and the total was approximately $8k. I couldn't find a few things like the headlight washer. When you include paint and labor it's going to be up there. Also the parts price is from one of the online retailers who discount retail pretty significantly and I know for a fact my local dealer where I plan on taking it for the estimate does not.

What's everyone's opinion on doing the repairs myself? I would have a body shop do the paint but I'm perfectly capable of installing all the parts.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by dwboston
I had a similar impact from a box that fell off a truck on my old 2012 A6 Prestige. Thread is here: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...ebris-2910657/

Final repair bill was $17,300. The impact cracked the LED headlight and pulled off the "snap-in" covers on the front bumper that cover the ACC sensor and the non-existent headlight washer. Initial estimate was $4800. After the Audi recommended body shop got it, they found the night vision camera lens was cracked. They ultimately replaced the headlight with all control modules, the ACC sensor, night vision camera, front grille, front bumper cover, parking sensors, repainted the hood, and a few other things.
Wow $17k! Mine is damaged quite a bit more than yours. I need a new fender and hood for sure and I'm certain the radiator support is cracked as well. Also it looks like your center grill is ok. Mine is destroyed.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by the_duke
Wow $17k! Mine is damaged quite a bit more than yours. I need a new fender and hood for sure and I'm certain the radiator support is cracked as well. Also it looks like your center grill is ok. Mine is destroyed.
They did replace the grill on my A6. Make sure you insist in genuine Audi parts.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by the_duke
No police report. I'm very glad It didn't hit in the center or on the right side and take out a radiator. We were still 20 miles from cell coverage. Didn't feel like a very hard hit and it was a small deer but at 70mph it doesn't take much. It came from the left side of the road at a full run. There where actually two of them but I missed the first one. Didn't even see them until they where in front of the car so no chance to avoid them. Pretty sure I already hit before I even made it to the brake pedal.

I was bored last night and looked up prices on all the parts that are broken and the total was approximately $8k. I couldn't find a few things like the headlight washer. When you include paint and labor it's going to be up there. Also the parts price is from one of the online retailers who discount retail pretty significantly and I know for a fact my local dealer where I plan on taking it for the estimate does not.

What's everyone's opinion on doing the repairs myself? I would have a body shop do the paint but I'm perfectly capable of installing all the parts.
If you're paying out of pocket for the repairs, I'd say go for it. You can probably find the parts used, if you can find the right wrecked A8. No worry about used body parts, providing you get them undamaged. If it's an insurance job, no point in bothering, though.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by dwboston

Did insurance count it as a comprehensive claim or collision? I damaged my Dodge in a hotel parking lot thanks to a particularly deep drainage channel that got put in as collision.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jack88
Did insurance count it as a comprehensive claim or collision? I damaged my Dodge in a hotel parking lot thanks to a particularly deep drainage channel that got put in as collision.
They treated it as a comprehensive claim. The whole thing was crazy - except for the cracked headlight, there was no visible damage (dents, scratches, gouges, etc.) to the car. The ACC sensor even worked fine once I put it back into position. Once they took it apart they found more damage, and the insurance company kept approving additional supplemental repair authorizations. The body shop is an authorized Audi repair center and was recommended by the dealer. They did great work - the car looked new when I got it back and they had fully detailed it inside and out.

Quick Reply: Deer