Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2010 Adaptive air suspension problems!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2010 Adaptive air suspension problems!

Hello all, new here. I am also a newbie to Audi as well! I come from a VW Touareg, traded "up" to a 2010 Q7 4.2L. Barely a week after owning the car (it has 57,000 miles), the green and yellow air suspension lights remain on. I take it back to the dealer I got it from, and they are saying it's the "air pump", and that it's gone out and doesn't know what level to put the car at. He said this explains the air bleeding noise when opening the doors and initially on start up.

Anyway, they want to "work with me" and cover the labor cost, which leaves me with a whopping $1300 bill for the parts! I'm having them call me back with an itemized list of parts so I can compare and even try and find OE parts for cheaper, but this seems crazy and after doing research on here, I can tell the compressor (which I'm assuming he's calling the air pump) isn't that expensive!

My question is, if it is the compressor, and I opt to change it myself, is there a bleeding procedure that will have to be done at Audi after it's all replaced? I'm trying to avoid going to the dealer. If $1300 isn't that bad, then I'll pull the trigger and let them do it. I just think it's outrageous. What do you guys think?
Old 03-28-2017, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Depending which state you live in, they may be required to cover it in full by law under the 30 day warranty. Where do you live?
Old 03-28-2017, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hey D3Audi, I live in Texas. Ive been looking up compressors for the last hour or so and the process, and I can find them for as cheap as 195.00 on eBay, with a relay. Im mechanically inclined, and I have looked up videos for the How-To. It seems like it's bolt on for the most part. I just dont think it can be done on the ground without jacking it up, can it?

Also, please elaborate on the 30 day warranty. They dont seem too inclined on paying total repair cost. I did find the genuine Audi OE part number online, and it is indeed $1550
Old 03-28-2017, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.arnottindustries.com/search-Products/index.asp?make=17&model=76&year=166

I found this today. It might help. They have videos on replacement. Like most replacements on Audi/VW you probably need Vagcom to set it up. Not certain.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You need to have the car fully supported because when you remove the pump, you also have to remove the valve body which means that any air pressure in the system is lost.

The suspension units will retain some pressure because they have a safety check valve at the top to prevent the pressure in the unit dropping below 2.5bar (assuming these valves are all OK).

I think that you need a scan of the codes before any parts are replaced because that diagnosis sounds wrong to me from your description.

Why not just throw the car back at them and ask for your money back unless they fix it FoC?
Old 03-30-2017, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

They offered to pay labor to replace the compressor and relay, and me pay parts (around $1600). I declined, and am
headig to pick up my car now. I have located compressors online anywhere from $200-$700 and the install doesn't seem all that terrible. I will be doing it myself. I do question their troubleshooting, but they did tell me that the compressor is definitely bad. So I'll buy the compressor and relay and hopefully be doing it within a week
Old 03-30-2017, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You should get the fault codes before doing any more with it.

The compressors last a long time and take quite a bit of over-use from a leak before they fail.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Ok I got the fault codes from them. VAG01577 switch-off due to excessive temperature.

Error type 1: upper limit exceeded.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by WowGuyQ7
Ok I got the fault codes from them. VAG01577 switch-off due to excessive temperature.

Error type 1: upper limit exceeded.
Very common. Happened regularly on my 2010 Q7 and on my 2015 Q7, too. For me, no reason to do any replacement; but my dash indicator lights did not stay on, so we have different symptoms.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Mine are apparently intermittent as well. On the drive home now, and they aren't on. Did you do anything to fix yours?

Quick Reply: 2010 Adaptive air suspension problems!