Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2014 SQ5 bang and olufsen memory cars

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 2014 SQ5 bang and olufsen memory cars

Is there any difference between a SD, SDHC and MMC cards? Which should I use for some music. Quality over quantity for me. BTW, my Donald Fagen Kamakiriad DVD-A sounds great!! Thanks
Old 03-29-2017, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by shokhead
Is there any difference between a SD, SDHC and MMC cards? Which should I use for some music. Quality over quantity for me. BTW, my Donald Fagen Kamakiriad DVD-A sounds great!! Thanks
The data on those would be the same. Its just capacity that might differ. The question is bit rate (higher bitrate = higher quality) of the MP3 files you put on the cards.

There is also jukebox storage on the MMI hard drive.

AFAIK there is a wiki on the Audi MMI. Someone else will probably give you the link.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'll just burn CD's onto the cards. BTW, how many CD's can I put on the jukebox?
Old 03-29-2017, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

certain AMI vs. MMI systems will only allow a certain size SD card. In previous years this was true. Not sure about anymore.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

MMI Entertainment Options Summarized
Old 03-29-2017, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

There is no relationship between the quality of the music and the kind of storage medium you use. We are in the digital age where music is a series of 1s and 0s. Either the 1s and 0s are what they are supposed to be, or they are not, at which point the file is corrupted and won't play properly. There's no in between.

The quality of the music is in direct relationship to what kind of compression and bitrate was used to produce the file. There are many different formats. MP3 and AAC for example use lossy compression, so they inherently lose detail. Formats like WAV, FLAC are uncompressed formats and therefore lossless. On top of that comes the bitrate at which the music signal was sampled. The higher the bitrate, the higher the detail and quality of the reproduced signal. It's also a give and take. Some compression algorithms are better than others. For example AAC is better than MP3, so you can use a lower bitrate with AAC than with MP3 to produce an equal quality.

Where the storage medium matters is when it comes to file sizes. The higher the quality the larger the files and the more storage capacity you need to hold the files, so that ultimately is the deciding factor for which medium to use. Also keep in mind, that the MMI doesn't support every audio format and bitrate out there, so you also have to stay within the capabilities of the digital audio player.

Last edited by superswiss; 03-29-2017 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks!
Old 10-09-2017, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by shokhead
Thanks!
So I put some CD's on my WMP, put the SDHC car in the slot on the computer, drapped the music onto the card, car won't read. Say something like it's bad or dammaged files.
Considering I AM NOT A COMPUTER PERSON, how the hell do I get those CD's from my WMP to the card? Again, just like cell phones, I am not a computer persn AT ALL so most of this stuff goes right over my head. If it matters, I'm on Windows home 10.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While mine is a little older (2012), I have no issues with my music. My SD card is small (only 8 GB), so there's no question of the Audi supporting it. I also have all my music in MP3 format. When you deal with WMA, there's different levels or versions of them. With MP3, there should be no issue. Not certain if Windows has anything included to convert WMA to MP3, but there are certainly quite a number of freeware programs that will do it.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by atc98092
While mine is a little older (2012), I have no issues with my music. My SD card is small (only 8 GB), so there's no question of the Audi supporting it. I also have all my music in MP3 format. When you deal with WMA, there's different levels or versions of them. With MP3, there should be no issue. Not certain if Windows has anything included to convert WMA to MP3, but there are certainly quite a number of freeware programs that will do it.
I never use MPS, I do Lossless, quality over quantity.

Quick Reply: 2014 SQ5 bang and olufsen memory cars