FINALLY! Audi has a Parade Lap at Petit Le Mans

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here's mine.

I did the SE Corral package a few times and the last 2 I did my own thing on the other side of the track with my Audi/VW buddies and had fun walking over to the SE Corral tent and chatting with old friends and making new ones.

My 1st impression when it came out that the SE Chapter was combining with the Audi Hospitality Folks was that the enthusiast group was becoming a little bit "high brow" for the rest of us.

But with that said I purchased the package and looking forward to chatting with old and new friends.

I'm just hoping the feeling is as casual as past events.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks dude! ^^^^^^

Funny too. I don't remember you ever paying to be a part of the corral.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Tom aren't you the one that started the Corral?

I still have a SE quattro club t-shirt, like the old AudiSport badge, from 2001. That was my first year at Petit and it was so much fun I have been back four times.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

No prime rib....
Old 09-21-2007, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I do see your point, however

Michelangelo I see your point and agree. Like I said, I have been to the hot pits and had the R8 spin rubber on me as it roared away and done the VIP tours, etc. Believe me it is great, but it is also the same thing regardless of the venue (Road Atlanta, Mid-Ohio, Road America, etc.) I am not interested in doing it again, obviously others are and I think they will enjoy it. Will they want to do it again next year? You have thought about this a lot and I am not trying to change your mind, just curious if this is all or nothing. Is this the only "organized" Audi group for the weekend? If it is, I am not concerned with being "excluded," I will just pack a bigger cooler and be prepared to share. It would be nice to have all of the Audi's at a single place though. That is how you promote "involvement and gain members." I am not sure this single choice will take you to the "next level." Again, I am the outsider, you won't offend me with any response.

In years past, the Hospitality option was there, but so was the club corral. After one year in the Hospitality tent, I went to the club's and had more fun. It was less pretentious. There was a lot of beer, non-alcohol, and food--BBQ and Bristol Stew was awesome! The hospitality setup is at best comparable to what the club has done in the past. I can not agree that it would ever be "way better."

I am NOT promoting lowest cost pass-through. If I believed in that I would not be on my third Audi. I am promoting choice, good times, great racing, honest southern hospitality (I am a native of Louisiana, so I know what I am talking about), friends, car-people, etc.

At Mid-Ohio a few years, when he was still at Audi, I talked with Len Hunt about this. He said the car clubs should feel free to organize at any event and that Audi should support them. The hospitality setup should always be an option, but not an exclusive one. He was personally upset that year, that the hospitality was in the tower and the car corral was in the infield across the track. Its about the cars, anyway, right?
Old 09-21-2007, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

An option to be able to pay for the parade laps would be great. This was done at Sebring this year.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Maybe it's Midwest values that provides a different perspective.

Sometimes, I feel that Scott and I are the only active members of the Ohio Valley chapter. LOL!!!

Anyway, what I've seen at Mid-Ohio was that until this year, there was a sense of identity that was the Audi Club in the form of the car corral and a hospitality tent in the infield where people could have a casual time, meet other club members, have beverages and snacks, and cheer as a team to support Audi. If you wanted even more interaction, then you can opt for Audi's own VIP program (and pay the extra cost). This setup gave people options, but allowed for more attendance from Audi owners (including recruiting new club members).

This year, Audi and Audi Club merged making the hospitality tent hands off to Audi owners unless you shell out the full VIP price. Even when we had the VIP separate from the hospitality tent, we still had a few of the drivers come over for a quick greet. It wasn't the full treatment of VIP, but it really got the group into the excitement of the race. By having it exclusively VIP, it sent a negative note to Audi owners that you have to pay much more for the experience. It became snobbish and out of touch with Audi owners and enthusiasts.

There were many people with me in previous years to Mid-Ohio who really got into the ALMS event without the VIP package. Even purchasing a paddock pass gets you a great opportunity to meet and talk with drivers and crew.

Having Audi support the Audi Club and its chapters is great. It allows the club members to return that support, but there should be options that allow all club members to be able to participate (and encourage new member growth).

Having said all that, I have had the chance to attend the VIP experience two years ago and understand what it's all about. The VIP experience is something that should be continued to be offered, but there also needs to be other activities for other members at a more affordable price. A Car Club pass at Mid-Ohio would cost $90 and get you corral parking, general access, and paddock access. Maybe a small extra cost of $30-$40 would get you access to the Audi Club hospitality tent and an opportunity for participating in the parade lap. That would be reasonable.

Another option would be to host an event after the race. Maybe a dinner(s) to celebrate the time trial and overall win. That could be somewhere nearby the track.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks for taking a chance on it/us....

Change is not always a welcome guest and I really appreciate that you've decided to join us!

We're not interested in trying to be more "high brow" and most certainly do not want to exclude anybody.

What I am interested in is giving the chapter a higher profile so that non-members can see the benefits of being a club member and so that current members have a reason to renew.

Besides providing a unique experience that we wouldn't be able to have otherwise - at a discounted price to boot - aligning ourselves with the Audi Motorsport Experience can provide some long term benefits to the club - and as the folks charged with keeping this chapter progressing, we're looking beyond just this one event.

Having said that - PLM itself is a great opportunity to raise our profile and show why membership has its benefits! There is no other venue where so many Audi-Driving, Non-Members (ADNM's) are present in one place. Only makes sense to raise our profile as high as possible so that those ADNM's say "Hey - I want to do that!"

Of course, I don't want to sacrifice the many folks that have shown up year after year. After all - it is your attendance that will show Audi of America why its so beneficial to work with us on all our events!

So - besides the $190 being a good deal for all you get, please also consider it an investment in the future of the club.

We have an opportunity to 1. we can increase the awareness of the club among the many ADNM's that will be there at PLM - and 2. create a closer relationship with Audi of America by turning out in sufficient numbers to encourage their continued involvement with our club.

It's not about changing the people - its about bringing more of them in and providing more for those already at the party!

Thanks All,<ul><li><a href="http://www.motorsportreg.com/calendar/event.cfm?uidEvent=764B2A36-C065-3803-B2551CD3284EDFFD">Audi Motorsport Experience at Petit Lemans - Oct. 5 &amp; 6th</a></li></ul>
Old 09-21-2007, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Yes......1999 was the first.

The last one I organized/ran was '05.

Glad you had fun.....I did!
Old 09-21-2007, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default You can pay for it......

....at the Cherokee Chapter DE at Road Atlanta this Spring! :-)

Quick Reply: FINALLY! Audi has a Parade Lap at Petit Le Mans