2012 A6 ECU troubles

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 A6 ECU troubles

hi all this is my first post here and unfortunately its because i have problems.

basically I have a 2.0tdi 2012 a6 which has been by far the worst car electrically iv owned.bought it nearly 2yrs ago Had it all for a short amount of time and the dash lit up, car wouldnt start/stop and displayed so many error codes I felt like I had just finished reading the dullest novel known to man, everything from tyre pressure sensor to stabilization fault. Anyways this was "fixed" under warranty by some mythical way to which i was never told. A month passed and then it happened again. Again into audi problem fixed.
Several months had passed now and low and behold i am treated to a repeat performance. This went straight back into audi which claimed it was down to the egr valve worth noting at this point the car had just crept out of warranty and i splashed out £650 for an replacement egr valve that had only covered 30K. this all changed happy days or so I thought. 2 weeks later and yip you guessed it same again. Straight back into audi, this time im annoyed to say the least after a few days the problem was..... a corroded terminal. a few £££ later I left with my A6 working once more.

A whole 3months passed this time and and to my delight after arriving back from a family holiday at 1:30am with food poisoning and a screaming 3yr old girl and 3month old baby boy I jump in old faithful push the start button and YYYAAAAYYYYYY same problem, wont start and the novel that I loathe flashing up on my display. Back into Audi it goes again. after 4 days they have now come back and told me that i require a new ecu at the rather princely sum of £1200.

Sorry about the story but I like to share my pain and suffering.

So basically my question is if i were to buy say a 2nd hand ecu which i know is a bit of a gamble but at a fraction of the price 1 I may take would it be a plug and play effort so to speak or would it require re-programming?

also just purely out of curiousity i personally have never heard of anyone having these issues and I find it incredible that im having to replace various parts which surely to god should have a longer wear and tear life span?

thank you for any advice that is given in advance