3.0L TDI in a 2008 A6 Avant

Old 08-25-2013, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 3.0L TDI in a 2008 A6 Avant

It is so frustrating seeing wonderful A6 TDIs available in Europe and here in North America we are left like kids at a race track, allowed to watch but unable to participate. So my question here is if I was to get hold of a good 2008 A6 Avant with the dreaded 3.0 FSI engine, what huge steps would I have to take to pull that engine out and install a new 3.0L TDI engine. Is it possible or totally unrealistic?
Ideally buying an TDI Avant in Europe and taking a chance on being allowed to import it sounds good but I have heard that you would probably end up having to ship it back or risk seizure by the customs. Don't know how tough the Canadian folks are on this, at least the new TDIs on the A6 cars being imported to Canada can run on regular diesel and actually get better mileage than the US versions but just like in the US, the Avant is not being offered yet.
Cheers,
John.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by John's MTM Allroad
It is so frustrating seeing wonderful A6 TDIs available in Europe and here in North America we are left like kids at a race track, allowed to watch but unable to participate. So my question here is if I was to get hold of a good 2008 A6 Avant with the dreaded 3.0 FSI engine, what huge steps would I have to take to pull that engine out and install a new 3.0L TDI engine. Is it possible or totally unrealistic?
Ideally buying an TDI Avant in Europe and taking a chance on being allowed to import it sounds good but I have heard that you would probably end up having to ship it back or risk seizure by the customs. Don't know how tough the Canadian folks are on this, at least the new TDIs on the A6 cars being imported to Canada can run on regular diesel and actually get better mileage than the US versions but just like in the US, the Avant is not being offered yet.
Cheers,
John.
Should be able to to Grey market the car and import it there. There may be some changes exterior lighting wise to make it compliant. You just need to talk to the people who deal with that, set it all up, purchase one and import it over. They arnt going to seize it and send it back, your going to have to set it all up first to find out the procedure in doing it.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess you're right. I should be able to find someone in Vancouver that is aware of the procedures and steps that I'll need to take to do it. Thanks for the tip.
John.