Looking to buy

Old 04-16-2012, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy

Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy an Audi with Quattro, likely an A3 with the 2.0TDI engine and I've got a few questions if any owners could help?

I was looking at buying an S3 last year but due to prices I settled for a BMW 130i M Sport which hasn't impressed me, having only 2 driven wheels with so much power is not very practical in England. That aside my main complaint is poor fuel economy (which, to a point is to be expected) but it's poor even when driven gently on a long motorway run (33mpg). So for now the S3 is out, the 130i is going and I may be getting my first ever diesel due to a large increase in annual mileage.
I've noticed you get more extras for your money when buying an A3 diesel rather than a 1 series diesel (add to that the Quattro), especially when getting the S Line trim.

I have a budget of £10-12k and for that I'd like Quattro and Xenon headlights (besides making the 2004 shape A3 look less boring they add a safety element). At the moment there are a few examples, but to be clear it'll most likely be a used 2006 model I can afford.

First off I've read the 140bhp (8 valve) engine has smoother power delivery and is more reliable than the 170bhp (16 valve) and it does have better economy, but I do still want a sporty car with a bit of go in it so remapping the 140bhp seems a good option. Has anyone done this and what was their post-remap economy/power delivery like? Does anyone have a third party warranty on remapped vehicles? My BMW needed £2,600 of repairs within 2 months so was glad of approved used warranty, I wouldn't buy an Audi/BMW without warranty cover. Turbo failure being a major expense that might be declined cover on the grounds of a remap.

Second what is the real world economy like? 44mpg combined for the 170bhp Quattro on paper, but real world motorway/A road? Anyone managed some really good 60+ mpg on the motorway?

Third how good is Quattro on muddy ground/snow and ice? I spent several hours looking over snow tests on YouTube and reading reviews to find mixed messages, I guess anything beats RWD and to an extent FWD but with A3's being Haldex and favouring understeer are they easy to get back if you lose them on ice? Clearly it's not a Range Rover but I do end up stuck on relatively flat muddy fields more than I'd like in the BMW. I can get more mpg and more car for my money with a FWD but I'm liking the safety aspect of Quattro.

More of an aside: does a well serviced Audi diesel chuck black smoke out when you boot them like Mercs and cheaper cars? I've been blinded in the past by some Mercedes.

I can't find much relating to the above in a quick scan of the fourms so hopefully someone can help?

Thanks,
Andy
Old 05-02-2012, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cant offer much help but most of the stuff regarding Quattro assumes all Audis are using the same system which they are not!
Some of the videos online show Audis failing to drive off a roller on a hill.
Its true if you park on a hill on a roller the Torsen centre diff will not register movement and allow a 100% difference. In the real world is that just doesnt happen.
Once you are rolling it works fine and even if you find yourself parked on a carelessly abondoned set of rollers you will get free just by gently powering on and off a few times. None of this punch and brake punch and brake every two seconds.
As for the 2.0 TDI I have seen no faults or complaints about it in the Q5s, which I have been monitoring for years.
I am driving the 3.0 TDI (Q7)and have no **** or deposits from my 'yahoo lets go' style driving in six years. How about that for a used tailpipe?

Sorry I cant provide a better reply, try the A3 forum.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Andy, welcome aboard! I hope someone from the UK can address your various concerns. The A3 has been sold in the USA for just a year or two and there is only a single configuration: 2.0L CR TDI, front wheel drive, DSG gearbox, DPF, etc.

The cars sent to the USA are fitted with serious exhaust after-treatment that you won't see on a used car sold in the UK. The exhaust on the cars sold here is very clean.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your replies.

With regards to the 4wd. I'm guessing then that the Haldex has its advantages for the average user (i.e. not racing), who's likely to have both rear wheels spinning in mud/snow while the front have reasonable grip. I understand from online reviews the Haldex will measure each individual wheels slip and adjust accordingly, rather than a mechanical system which can be fooled by 4 wheel slip, etc...?

Andy